U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 06:46 AM

21,327 posts, read 29,030,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I ended up leaving them but pruning the tree. Kinda a crappy spot for it. I got Electric wires on 1 side, the house on 1 side, and sunlight on 1 side. You can see its leaning towards the sun from a certain angle. I hate to take it down because its just so pretty in Spring.

Blooms are actually purple, camera made them pink here. lol

I'm done for now getting trees. I gave 3 to different neighbors, kept 3, and 4 didn't make it.

Here's the other free tree from them.

I had a redbud at my old house, have a weeping one at this one. Actually dug it from the old house because it was expensive. I know the camera can distort the color.

Your tree looks happy. The dogwood is growing well too. I'm going to get one, one of these years. Can't decide what color pink I want, the light or the reddish one. There are a lot in my town but not my development.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 10:43 AM

79,230 posts, read 66,756,482 times
Planted in 2014 and giving me some firewood in 2021.

Just not the best location for it. Branches were overhanging the roof and I was getting tired of pruning it every year. Powerlines nearby too and I have water and drain lines down below I'd hate for the roots to disrupt it and pay $1,000's to fix my waste drain

Also don't like the yellow leaves in the fall although pretty cool looking shape.

Some thick growth rings. Landscape grows wild around here with the rains and humidity and the summer heat.

but I am leaving it as is and see if it will come back to life, again!

Old 05-05-2022, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
but I am leaving it as is and see if it will come back to life, again!
Incredible. Trees are so resilient around here. It's alive!! I really don't like this spot for it but I may just prune and shape accordingly.

Impressive to see new growth after I chopped it down as I did. Ignore the camera. It's a timelapse camera I have facing my Pin Oaks

Just popping out where ever it wants. No fertilizer or anything was added. Just the compost in the ground from 2014.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:11 AM
Status: "No, I don’t want an app for that." (set 26 days ago)

45,392 posts, read 56,708,947 times
I love redbuds and dogwoods. I miss the beautiful ones I had in Ohio. I’ve tried them both here in GA, but they didn’t make it.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:43 AM

Default New Life Continues

The thread title rings so true with this tree. Once again...NEW LIFE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I love redbuds and dogwoods. I miss the beautiful ones I had in Ohio. I’ve tried them both here in GA, but they didn’t make it.
Redbuds are definitely pretty in the spring with their pink/purple blooms. Leaves are cool because they are so big when mature.

Anyway -- Trees are so resilient around here. I mean you can chop any tree off and it just comes back to life. Incredible.

From this to now...

Now I have to figure out if I wanna just keep pruning low it or totally dig it up. I have waste and water lines underneath as well as electric lines right above it. Just a bad spot for a tree.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:46 AM

16,816 posts, read 19,580,512 times
Redbuds and dogwoods are two of the trees I miss about the east coast. We had quite a few back in WV. We have a few serviceberry trees that are doing okay, but very slow growing here.

Old 08-09-2022, 05:42 AM

Unbelievable how much you can chop off a tree and it just comes back. I'm always amazed witnessing it in person. I do this with my Mature Pine tree. Chop the top off and it just keeps growing. Oak too in the summer I prune it and it gets healthier.

Look at this Redbud tree this morning after I stripped it all and chopped it down halfway. Crazy

Old 08-09-2022, 11:48 PM

35,586 posts, read 41,702,341 times
That's what redbuds do. It's a native tree, and in the wrong location can be invasive. It sprouts seedlings everywhere, and will require herbicides to keep them down.

That close to the house, I'd take it completely out.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:33 AM

11,579 posts, read 11,270,277 times
I had an eastern redbud. The slowest growing tree ever. Always looked half dead with its 5-6 leaves usually burning off in the Sydney summer. Perhaps the climate wasn't right for it. After transplanting it, I thought it died but it too sprouted leaves. Then later, I think I killed it by accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden