Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:17 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,389 times

Advertisements

Since you mentioned pots, have you thought about planting something in nice decorative planters there. That way if whatever you are growing isn't doing well, you can just move it to another spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 09:45 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Are you trying to see the plants from where you took the picture? It seems you need something with mass in order to see the plants from the road area.

Delphiniums register "cottage garden" in my mind. Lots of staking, pretty sensitive, labor intensive. Fine for flat, level gardens, but not sure how much of that you would want to do on a hill...

If you like the delphinium look, though, how about anemone japonica? They will handle dappled shade with a moist, loamy soil.

Anemone hupehensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anemonies would be a great choice, however they are invasive. I had some at my old house and I could not keep them under control. If they are in an area where this isn't a concern, they're good.

If you decide to go with daylilies, I can recommend smokeysdaylilygardens.com. They separate the categories into repeat bloomers, colors, and height, so you could be assured of getting the height you want. My repeat bloomers bloom all summer with just a bit of dry fertilizer a few times a year.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:58 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times
Kudzu...how tall is the joe pye weed?

Old 05-26-2014, 11:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I have one which is 6 feet tall and another about 2.5 to 3 feet. I'm sure there are other varieties in between. What about Queen Anne's Lace? I love it.
Canna Lilies get huge depending on the variety and I've grown them in sun and shade.
Miscanthus and other ornamental grasses are a must for a tall border
Hollyhocks?
somebody mentioned liatris. Unless there is a variety I'm not familiar with I would never consider it "tall".

Look what I found? All I did was google Tall perennials for zone 7b and this came up.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/flowers...mpact/#page=19

Old 05-26-2014, 12:14 PM

Several of these could work.
Thanks.
Now I just have to decide what to do!

Old 05-26-2014, 12:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
why not 2 or 3 of each????

Old 05-26-2014, 03:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
With the shade and height requirement, I'd look into rhododendrons. They are spectacular, though for only a short period.

Big old fashioned roses, such as Hybrid Perpetuals, would be great, except it looks to me like you have too much shade. If my perception is wrong, then I'd go with pillar, grandiflora or hybrid perpetual roses.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Ooh I like the pictures. Now I've seen it...it looks like there is a tree there, too? I'd second noKudzu's suggestion of rose of Sharon. These self sow like mad, so I'd get a sterile cultivar.

In my yard they flower in shade and grow right up to the trunk of a norway maple. I actually hate them, but they'd live in the area and may look ok. They leaf out late and have pale yellow fall color. But hummers like the flowers. I'm not sure if a sterile one will be good for hummers, though.

I'm reading a great book called "Designing Gardens with Flora of the American East" by Carolyn Summers. Has someone recommended native azaleas? These like full to partial sun and have sweet smelling flowers in Spring. They're mostly deciduous. Some also have nice fall color.

If it is moist back there, you can try ostrich fern. I've read these can be invasive, but mine are in zone 7 and are anything but. I've also seen some in other gardens...and they behave themselves. There is a cultivar called the King that can get over 6ft tall. But like the Rose of Sharon, these wake up a tiny bit late, and don't seem very interesting in Fall. Not that I can remember, anyway.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:09 AM

I have Rose of Sharon's in my backyard on the wooded hillside. And they're more like medium height columnar shrubs.

I'm looking more for very small shrub or flowering plants. I know the rosemary was a shrub but it didn't get crazy big like a rhododendron can get ....or as big a-round as a hydrangea. It was the perfect medium -- taller than wide -- size.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:14 PM

Since tall asiatic lilies are an option -- in terms of a growth habit...would you say they can sprout up and spread to other areas where the weren't planted?

For example the rosemary just gets bigger and grows larger 'in place'...it might eventually grow wider -- but it doesn't spring up a foot over from where it was...and I won't have more plants of it than I started with. (which i not what I'm after)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden