U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:54 AM

3 posts, read 3,656 times

Advertisements

Okay - so I'm new to gardening (since last year) and I'm sure my neighbours think I'm moving. I have a beautiful pond, hostas, flowers, blooming shrubs, trees... and now I realize that I need to look after my lawn. The weeds just don't fit in my yard any longer. So I've been digging up individual weeds as I see them. I then put grass seed in the hole where the weed was and pack with dirt. I use the sprinkler to ensure that the area is well watered. I realize that this will take some time. I am approaching my lawn in sections and digging weed/planting seed.

I'm hoping this will work. I don't really have the time or inclination (this year anyway) to dig up my lawn and till. Wondering if anyone can tell me if my technique will work. Or if you have further suggestions.

Thanks very much,

Spice
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 06:36 AM

7,603 posts, read 9,588,075 times
Grass seed will not germinate if it is buried deeply. One-quarter inch is the maximim depth. It needs the tiny little bit of light that filters through that small amount of soil in order to be biologically triggered to germinate.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,116 posts, read 60,157,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Grass seed will not germinate if it is buried deeply. One-quarter inch is the maximim depth. It needs the tiny little bit of light that filters through that small amount of soil in order to be biologically triggered to germinate.
Yes, and you should be watering the seed 2-3 times a day until they sprout and are an inch or so tall. If they don't remain moist they won't germinate.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:14 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,285,926 times
I recently raked my dirt with a garden rake, seeded it pretty heavily, and lightly raked the dirt again to cover some of it up. Probably 1/3 of the seeds are still on the surface. We've had rain every other day just about, and the ground is very moist. I planted a mix of 5 kinds of fescue. The bag said it is a sun and shade mix. I have speckled sunlight or only a few hours of sun in the area I seeded. I had a rock garden there before, so I'm starting anew. I hope these seeds grow!

Old 06-09-2014, 03:05 PM

974 posts, read 1,528,628 times
Even Up north in a Massachusetts, you could run into problems trying to keep the seed "moist" enough to germinate and then wet enough to beat the dry scalding days we can get in June.

Not sure where you're located, but, as Hemlock mentioned, grass seed needs to be consistently moist to germinate. HOTTER it is, more frequent watering you need at this critical time.

A light mulch will help keep water in. Light grass clippings or a commercial seed patch kit will also help keep the cool and water in the soil if the temps rise in your area.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:25 PM

74,108 posts, read 57,474,792 times
We use Hay around here when planting new grass seeds. It not only keeps them moist but prevents the birds from eating them and its biodegradable. Win Win Win.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:04 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,104,422 times
A lot of people here in SC use hay to grow grass as well. A neighbor of mine down the street did that about 3-4 weeks ago and it's already looking really good!

Old 06-10-2014, 10:43 AM

1,786 posts, read 4,210,001 times
You don't use hay, you use straw.
Hay is for horses.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post

Thank you! This helps. Planting the seed in the place of the weed was at least an inch deep. I think I was waisting a lot of good time. Thanks again.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, and you should be watering the seed 2-3 times a day until they sprout and are an inch or so tall. If they don't remain moist they won't germinate.
Also good to know! I wasn't watering that much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden