Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 12:26 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We dug up and created a landscaped area along the western fenceline. It is a neatly landscaped area with assorted plants and decomposed granite. Unfortunately, I am having a daily failing battle against my neighbor's St. Augustine grass and his weeds. The St. Augie runners are coming through the holes in the fence and underneath. I pull them and the weeds out but every day I have to do this. While I can keep my own grass under control because of the metal edging, I can't do anything about my neighbor's lawn. Any suggestions? Do I have to put a metal strip or something along the fenceline?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 07:17 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,977,556 times
It sounds like underground edging is your best bet.

The only other option I can think of some sort of trench edging where you just dig a trench deep enough and wide enough that the roots can't spread; but I doubt that would work as well and it's not necessarily a good idea next to a fence do to drainage issues.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:39 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
The only other option I can think of some sort of trench edging where you just dig a trench deep enough and wide enough that the roots can't spread;.
Ha! St. Augustine will spread by runners over any trench.

There is some in my neighbor's yard on the other side of a chain-link fence that backs up my mulched beds. I have the same problem as you. I just have to go over there (neighbor doesn't mind, good people) and pull it out from their side once a year. I don't have the time, energy, nor money to put down metal edging. But trust me, St. Augustine would grow up and over the metal edging after a while anyway!

Weed eat it up to the metal edging, you would say? Huh, those runners can be as tough as a boot, and many will survive the weed-eating (especially if the person doing it doesn't much care whether it gets over on your side or not) and end up on your side.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hi,
We dug up and created a landscaped area along the western fenceline. It is a neatly landscaped area with assorted plants and decomposed granite. Unfortunately, I am having a daily failing battle against my neighbor's St. Augustine grass and his weeds. The St. Augie runners are coming through the holes in the fence and underneath. I pull them and the weeds out but every day I have to do this. While I can keep my own grass under control because of the metal edging, I can't do anything about my neighbor's lawn. Any suggestions? Do I have to put a metal strip or something along the fenceline?

Thanks!
You basically trim it on your side just as you do tree limbs over hanging on your side. He does the same if he wishes.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hi,

Thanks!
this is one of the wonderful things about St. Augustine grass; you almost can't kill it. We had it in Ca and Texas, but as the neighbor of a St Augustine home I can imagine it is a pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden