U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 07:00 PM

956 posts, read 3,850,179 times

Advertisements

With the exception of a couple years, I've always had a vegetable garden. I've also lived in PA. all my life - different parts of the state, but always PA.
In a couple weeks, my wife and I will be headed to our new home in coastal North Carolina. What differences should I expect in gardening?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 10:14 AM

6,472 posts, read 15,314,497 times
I'm in MD...that is technically the south I'm JEALOUS of NC gardeners so I'd say you can expect milder winters and a longer gardening season for flowering plants and veggies. One of my gardening friends at work lives in NC. He said they have a big deer problem.

As far as veggies go, you will probably be able to grow stuff like peppers, okra and sweet potatoes more easily. Also melons! Even in MD my season is too short to get really good melons. At least I suck at growing them.

You can also buy some of Southern Living's garden guides. They separate our region into the Coastal, Upper, Lower and Tropical south, I believe. They have suggestions about which plants grow the best in each area and a lot of pictures. They also have a blog...it used to be the Grumpy Gardener (he's originally from Maryland) but now I think they just have one blog. Best of luck.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:56 PM

36,502 posts, read 49,477,502 times
You need to post this in Coastal N.C. forum. They will help you a lot. What grows on the coast of N.C. is not what grows here in the Triangle area. But most of my growing gardens are ornamentals. One thing you will find is extremely sandy soil so expect to add gobs and gobs of compost and water a great deal. Look up the country extension service for the county you will be living in and you will find all sorts of bulletins and more info than you know what to do with. Welcome to N.C. Go Heels!

Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 PM

43,364 posts, read 54,045,851 times
Be prepared for some changes. I migrated from Ohio to Savannah, and I have had a big learning curve with gardening.
Basically, you need to get your things in early (March 15th here) and water, water, water. It is much harder to keep things from drying out in the south. Plants that were staples before, don't do well.

I don't think you will have as much trouble in NC as in coastal GA, but just be prepared. For example, I was used to having abundant window boxes with things like impatiens, and geraniums, but have failed here because it is impossible to keep containers wet enough.

In my first year I got zero tomatoes because I planted them in early June and it was too hot for them to set fruit.
The soil here is sandy, so needs lots of humus. Here in GA, we have something they call gumbo, which is a kind of clay. I have lost many plants after a year or two of good health, because the roots hit the gumbo and stop growing.
It has become a sort of game to outsmart nature.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:35 AM

7,157 posts, read 8,398,219 times
Plant early. As soon as the ground can be worked. No problem with getting stuff planted in late February, even though that SEEMS so impossible. By Late May the spring stuff will be succumbing to the hot sun, if not the hot air.

The cool thing: you get a second season for cool weather crops in the fall. Start plants in August, set them out in September...lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, beets and radishes, for example.

It is a LONG season, but can be HOT and DRY. Garden accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden