Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:44 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
John Deere says it all if you buy a Deere made tractor , not a contract made Deere.
And the Delta faucet bodies sold at wholesalers are not the same as those sold at Lowes.
And loud pipes save lives.

Repeating it doesn't somehow magically make it true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 10:15 AM

997 posts, read 850,014 times
Find a used commercial zero turn, preferably a stander, a wright stander would be ideal. They run damn near forever, repowering them 2-3 times with new engines is the norm before retiring my them.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Find a used commercial zero turn, preferably a stander, a wright stander would be ideal. They run damn near forever, repowering them 2-3 times with new engines is the norm before retiring my them.
LOL, seems like a horrible way to pick a lawn mower

Old 02-11-2019, 10:44 AM

6,359 posts, read 4,179,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
LOL, seems like a horrible way to pick a lawn mower
Been there, done that, can beat the cut but a used commercial mower could be a money pit. Pats are expensive on a commercial mower and if landscapers are selling them, it’s usually due to their maintenance costs. Also, to adjust blade heights on most of the older commercial mowers, you need to remove the blades and add shims/washers to the spindle shafts.

Much better off with a no frills lawn tractor for the stated $1200 and it will be less costly in the long run.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,256,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

I have a late 1900s Craftsman that's still going strong.
Some of those pre-World War I models were really built to last.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:05 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Some of those pre-World War I models were really built to last.
feeding firewood into the boiler is a real pain tho

Old 02-11-2019, 12:06 PM

997 posts, read 850,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Been there, done that, can beat the cut but a used commercial mower could be a money pit. Pats are expensive on a commercial mower and if landscapers are selling them, it’s usually due to their maintenance costs. Also, to adjust blade heights on most of the older commercial mowers, you need to remove the blades and add shims/washers to the spindle shafts.

Much better off with a no frills lawn tractor for the stated $1200 and it will be less costly in the long run.
Wright standers are not money pits! For the simple reason there are very few moving parts compared to lawn tractors, sit down zero turns etc. you can pickup aftermarket spindles for $34 dollars! Besides the motor (commercial grade) that is usually good for 2000 hours, you have the hydro pumps and motors. And those are very long lasting and very less trouble some than any Deere (unless you get the John Deere stander wright made for them). I’ve had plenty of lawn tractors thru the years. Deere’s, kubota and exmark zero Turn (still have it). Nothing compares to the 2 Wright’s I have, and I loved my old Deere 110!
The chassis of the original wright stander is a tank, it’s footprint is small, amazing cut, blades are cheap, extremely easy to service (nothing easier), replacement parts are cheap and easy they change. I know I sound like a salesmen, but they are everything (and more) that I’ve stated they are.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:15 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have a late 1900s Craftsman that's still going strong.
With a manual transmission and one of the old Craftsman boxer engines? You Betcha!

Find one or keep your's tuned up and they'll last long enough to justify replacing the mower deck
and rebuilding the steering, wheels, tires, suspension etc which will need replacing by this point.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:37 PM

6,359 posts, read 4,179,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Wright standers are not money pits! For the simple reason there are very few moving parts compared to lawn tractors, sit down zero turns etc. you can pickup aftermarket spindles for $34 dollars! Besides the motor (commercial grade) that is usually good for 2000 hours, you have the hydro pumps and motors. And those are very long lasting and very less trouble some than any Deere (unless you get the John Deere stander wright made for them). I’ve had plenty of lawn tractors thru the years. Deere’s, kubota and exmark zero Turn (still have it). Nothing compares to the 2 Wright’s I have, and I loved my old Deere 110!
The chassis of the original wright stander is a tank, it’s footprint is small, amazing cut, blades are cheap, extremely easy to service (nothing easier), replacement parts are cheap and easy they change. I know I sound like a salesmen, but they are everything (and more) that I’ve stated they are.
I’m sure it’s a great piece of equipment but what’s the chance of the OP finding one, in his geographical area for less than $1200?

Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM

50 posts, read 54,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I’m sure it’s a great piece of equipment but what’s the chance of the OP finding one, in his geographical area for less than $1200?
Craigslist?

That's where we got our JD mower for super cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden