Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 05:16 PM

9 posts, read 26,277 times

Advertisements

Please recommend a veggie, fruit, or cut flower that you think would be the best for a beginning gardener. I live in sonoma county, ca and will be planting in a raised bed.

Looking forward to hearing what others love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 06:15 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
For me the easiest vegeatbles are cucumbers(any kind) and green beans. Bush beans don't need any staking but they all come in at once so you would want to plant some every couple of weeks. Pole beans grow continuously but you need to stake them as they get very tall.

Tomatoes are also very good. The most fun….zucchini. Once they start to grow they really jump in size each day.

Fruits plant and trees need a bit more care.

Sunflowers are fun and easy.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:13 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Zucchini is usually the one even beginners can get a bumper crop from. Pretty much Carefree, one plant will give you enough for your family. Two will give you enough to share Three will make your neighbors hide, cause they will be scared you're going to drop a sack of zucchini off on them.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:36 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Sonoma is currently experiencing drought and some pretty extreme weather IMO (lows in the 50's - highs 100+ - yikes):

Current Water Supply Levels

Not the best time for a beginner to start. I'd recommend something that's pretty bullet proof and drought tolerant. Not much in my yard that would work where you are. Maybe rosemary?

I'd also try to find someone in my neighborhood who's an experienced gardener. See what they're doing now. Robyn

Old 06-30-2014, 12:42 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,005 times
I disagree with the zucchini comments. I've found them to be the most difficult of the 50+ things I grow. Squash vine borers get into every plant and destroy the circulatory system.

Asparagus and okra are pretty easy and draught tolerant. Both would be happy in the 50 degree temp swings.

For California, figs have to be the easiest. Just take a cutting from a tree you like, stick it in the ground, wait a few years then enjoy tons of fruit forever. They are very drought hardy after the first year.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:38 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I disagree with the zucchini comments. I've found them to be the most difficult of the 50+ things I grow. Squash vine borers get into every plant and destroy the circulatory system.

Asparagus and okra are pretty easy and draught tolerant. Both would be happy in the 50 degree temp swings.

For California, figs have to be the easiest. Just take a cutting from a tree you like, stick it in the ground, wait a few years then enjoy tons of fruit forever. They are very drought hardy after the first year.
I didn't even think of Figs. but you are right. Super easy and probably as close to indestructible as a plant could be.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:41 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I think of the old standbys like marigolds and zinnias. Plant, water, done.

Someone also said sunflowers. They grow all by themselves when the birds drop them on the ground. I pick them up and put them where I want them to grow and just cover them over with a little bit of soil.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:42 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
What about herbs? Those are easy.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:31 PM

Here's some useful information from your local master gardeners - including how to deal with your drought:

http://ucanr.edu/sites/scmg/

Seems like your gardening seasons are similar to mine. Spring and fall. Winter's too cold for the most part and summer is too hot. It's too late to plant for spring now - and too early for the fall. OTOH - Sonoma County has 3 distinct micro-climates where temperatures vary considerably:

http://ucanr.edu/sites/scmg/Feature_...Microclimates/

Our weather doesn't at all resemble what you find on the Pacific Coast.

I suspect if you look around - you'll be able to find some gardening workshops in your area. Take advantage of them and plan your fall garden. There's nothing worse than planting the wrong thing - or planting something in the wrong place - or planting something at the wrong time. Failure is discouraging. And the best way to insure success IMO is to plant the right things in the right places at the right times (I think all that "green thumb" stuff is a myth - it's mostly right plant/right place/right time).

FWIW - over the summer - you might try some summer herbs. Like basil - which likes heat. Nothing better than a batch of home made pesto. Note that many herbs do not at all like hot weather (my non-summer herbs don't die in the summer - but they go to seed - look ratty as heck and aren't very useful for anything - they perk up in the fall when things cool down).

I would also avoid planting anything expensive like trees now. You're currently on voluntary water restrictions (unless you live in Healdsburg - where they're mandatory). The goal is to lower water consumption by 20%. Unless water consumption is reduced or the drought ends - you're going to wind up with mandatory water restrictions (we have permanent water restrictions where I live). And newly planted trees need more water than established ones. Robyn

Old 06-30-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think of the old standbys like marigolds and zinnias. Plant, water, done.

Someone also said sunflowers. They grow all by themselves when the birds drop them on the ground. I pick them up and put them where I want them to grow and just cover them over with a little bit of soil.
You're in New England. All the marigolds and zinnias have been already been fried to a crisp here in Florida (they're late-March to early June things here). One of my favorite go-to hot weather flowering plants is pentas:

Pentas - University of Florida's Gardening in a Minute

But I don't know how they'd do with lots of night temps < 60 (mine start to look bad in October when we get temps like that - but - then again - they've been producing flowers since April - and perhaps they're just tired ). They're cheap enough to toss at the end of the summer.

Another go to summer favorite is "Mexican petunias":

One More Summer Sizzler — Mexican Petunia | Your Hub for Southern Culture

However they're extremely invasive - I plant them in resin "whiskey barrels" to keep them in check. They die back over the winter - but I cut them down in the early spring - and they come back in the late spring. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden