Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:41 PM

177 posts, read 338,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You've been too worried about a few random trees to learn the true dangers of life!
If you don't like trees you should not have bought in the country. You belong in a development that has everything outside taken care of professionally. Trees reduce the carbon footprint from burning fossil fuels. You mulch the leaves and it is carbon sequestration. They house the birds of the air. It looks like you have a mound system based on the pipe sticking from the ground. If you did your due diligence before giving out the offer you could of added anything to the offer. In the summer they shade the ground and reduce the ambient air temperature and make it more comfortable.

I have trees very close to the house and they are not a problem except for the leaves in the gutters. I have trees that give berries and small fruits and nuts that feed the wildlife near me. Cardinals, Jays, finches, doves, hummingbirds, etc. My deep mulches house worms and mushrooms. If the trees are healthy they will stay up in storms. I get winds to 50 MPH fairly often. I've had hail storms and micro bursts that have pushed trucks off the road in front of the house and moved a barn off its foundation and my trees have not come down. My trees are not stressed as I do not try to grow grass or flowers at their bases after they are established. No weed whipping here close to trunks. I would not plant willows, Populars or other weak limbed trees close to the buildings these need to be away. I would not try to grow grass under an OAK as their roots are very close to the surface, Ground covers or mulches belong here.

For the poster who's husband is tired of cutting the lawn. Lots of choices, Get a bigger mower Zero turn or tractor with 60" to 72" cut. Get animals like geese to mow it for you, a small flock will keep 1 acre down so it only needs mowing a trimming 3-4 times a season. Plant the grass area with grasses that convert it to a meadow or naturally grow low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 01:49 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sure, a tree branch might fall on your house. You also could get a rare disease, be burned by an overheating smartphone, or be speared by an errant transmission tower while driving by. Getting out of bed carries risk.

The benefits of trees, however, outweigh the risks. If you want a tree-free property, buy a brand new home in a cornfield subdivision.
Exactly!!! I live in a mature neighborhood. The reason I prefer the neighborhood is due to all of the trees. I'd hate to live in a boring corn field converted to a neighborhood

Old 07-02-2014, 01:58 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Looking at the pictures again I'd take the one in the first picture out, for my aforementioned root intrusion reason. I guess the first and third pictures are the same view.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Lucky thing you don't live in my city, you'd have to apply for a permit to remove the trees and a city evaluation of their condition would be required for the permit.

Ask me why I rent an apartment here.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Lucky thing you don't live in my city, you'd have to apply for a permit to remove the trees and a city evaluation of their condition would be required for the permit.

Ask me why I rent an apartment here.

Depending on where he lives he may have to get a permit anyway. And provide mitigation for those trees removed.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:07 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Buy the house..........Hire cutters to remove the tree and grind the stumps.........Cut the wood to 14 - 16 inches long ..........sell the wood to recoup the cost of the cutters..

Old 07-02-2014, 04:31 PM

177 posts, read 338,658 times
If a tree falls on the earth does it care? No because the planet is the ecosystem.
If a tree falls in the woods does it care? No because what was housing is now food for the smaller critters and the soil.
If a tree falls in the city does anyone care? Only the humans that are around it. They ***** that it blocks the roads, cuts the power, hits a man made structure. Does the earth care Hell No!

" the Definition of human life is a sexually transmitted disease that always ends in death." Me: You begin as a parasite of your mother (fetus) Need assistance for your first 18 or so years, live some time and then require your family or friends to help you. And then you die. The planet really does not care.

OH BTW IF you back out of most RE contracts The earnest money is forfeit and you owe the agents their fees and commission. That is in the standard boilerplate Offer Contract so unless you had your lawyer insert clauses and contingencies you might be out of quite a few dollars. The time to add things is before you make the offer.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:49 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
You have some valid concerns, since those trees are so VERY close to the house!

I bought a house with a large pine tree right next to a small addition. Over the years, it dropped a few large branches, but this last winter was too much -- dropped HUGE branches and I was very lucky they didn't hit the house. I got nervous every time it got windy. Finally had it taken down this spring when the tree guys were able to get to it (they've been VERY busy!).

I miss the tree and the bird activity that it had, but I LOVE having more light in my house, and being able to see more of the sky.

My neighbor just took down an oak tree similar to yours -- they rented a cherry picker! If you're not a DIYer, and you love the house/location, just add the cost of tree work to all the other things you plan to do to your new house.

P.S. Looks like the yard comes with an awesome treehouse! (Or is that the neighbor's)

Old 07-02-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
You have some valid concerns, since those trees are so VERY close to the house!

I bought a house with a large pine tree right next to a small addition. Over the years, it dropped a few large branches, but this last winter was too much -- dropped HUGE branches and I was very lucky they didn't hit the house. I got nervous every time it got windy. Finally had it taken down this spring when the tree guys were able to get to it (they've been VERY busy!).

I miss the tree and the bird activity that it had, but I LOVE having more light in my house, and being able to see more of the sky.

My neighbor just took down an oak tree similar to yours -- they rented a cherry picker! If you're not a DIYer, and you love the house/location, just add the cost of tree work to all the other things you plan to do to your new house.

P.S. Looks like the yard comes with an awesome treehouse! (Or is that the neighbor's)
Probably not for long.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:57 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
As I said before, I had the same problem. I fell in love with a house. The builders had simply cut a hole in the woods and plopped a house in it. That's how it looked anyway. By the time I bought it, the house was about 30 years old and the trees didn't look like they had ever been touched. They had grown from small trees to huge trees.

Those trees would have been smaller when the house was built but if they are just left to grow, especially with limbs directly hanging over the house, it can be a problem when you get storms and high winds.

I paid about $1000 per tree back then and still had LOADS of trees left to enjoy. Do not get into tree worship. Some trees are nice, but even a forest is better when it is managed and weeded out. Once the leaning and too huge trees were down, the rest of the trees were able to enjoy happy and healthy lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden