Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:59 AM

26 posts, read 59,716 times

Advertisements

I don’t know if this has been asked before. I met a lady in the grocery store and she told me that she grows tomatoes in her house in a pot all year long. Does anyone here do that? I love tomatoes and it would rock to have a year round supply of fresh matoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 12:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
If you do a search here on container gardening, you'll find info on growing them in pots, but I've had limited success with having them year-round inside.
(OTOH, I haven't tried that hard, and never here in north Florida.)

If you have plenty of room and plenty of sun, maybe it works out fine.
The tomatoes do not have to be in a humungous pot, I know that much.

I have a friend who has an aero-garden and she has had a lot of luck with that contraption. I think what *eventually* happens is the same thing that happens in regular gardening: the plant gets too big, which, indoors or out, can lead to complications.

I keep thinking about trying an aero-garden, but haven't yet--been too distracted with other stuff, and still manage to at least grow fresh herbs in my mild climate.

areo-garden

Old 12-19-2007, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the advice, and the areo-garden looks like fun, I'll have to try it out. I can't garden where I live. I'm on a military base and the soil is contaminated with lead, so they tell everyone not to plant anything edible. I tried herbs in pots on the patio, but so many critters out here seem to like relieving themselves in the pots.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:26 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
For more information on growing tommy toes in pots check:
http://www.growingtomatoe.com/

Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 AM

Very informative site, thank you so much Maybe I can grow a green thumb hehe.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:40 AM
iva

24 posts, read 84,077 times
I haven't tried growing tomatoes in winter but my container garden this past summer was a success! Some people laughed at my garden until they saw the results. Besides tomatoes, I planted cukes, summer squash and green peppers.
Gardener's supply(online) has a wealth of information and a great book about container gardening. Good luck!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:59 AM

Thanks It is so hot here I am running my air conditioner now. Tomorrow it will be freezing. I don't know if the constantly changing weather would make it hard to grow stuff. I never would have thought to grow green peppers in a container. I love having access to fresh veggies. The produce at the grocery is so expensive and it looks terrible. I'm glad your garden was such a success. It must have been wonderful to have yummie veggies on hand.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
If you get a growlight I think it would work. Otherwise I doubt there is enough light in anyone's house to grow tomatoes in winter. Also, some tomatoes are a one shot deal.. once they fruit, it's over, so pay attention to what type of plant you have.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Also, some tomatoes are a one shot deal.. once they fruit, it's over, so pay attention to what type of plant you have.
Good point.
If you do get an "indeterminate" tomato plant, then you have a heck of a big plant, and some very tricky re-potting. (I know, I've done it--not always successfully.)
If you get "determinate," then it's that one shot deal.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope101 View Post
I don’t know if this has been asked before. I met a lady in the grocery store and she told me that she grows tomatoes in her house in a pot all year long. Does anyone here do that? I love tomatoes and it would rock to have a year round supply of fresh matoes.
I used to. ''gardeners' delight'' tomato plant with just sunlight in the south window in north Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden