Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:29 PM

6,419 posts, read 11,571,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
... Corn plants have very fine fibrous roots. I wouldn't think they would transplant well IF you have to remove them from their container. A peat moss container could be planted intact so as not to damage the root system.
I've never really seen the roots. When we transplant seedlings, we keep the potting soil around the roots as much as we can. if it were a single seedling per pot we'd just take the roots plus soil from the pot and plant that. The corn comes three plants to a pot, so we take roots plus soil and divide the three and plant them.

We only mess with the soil around the seedling roots if it looks root-bound.

I don't remember what we paid for the corn seedlings. Corn at the market lately only seems to get down to 25 cents per ear (I remember not so many years ago it went down to 10 cents per ear - or maybe I'm mis-remembering).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 04:55 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,720,704 times
Earwigs like the damp, and if you have those, the plants may be getting over-watered.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:58 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,360,504 times
Default Go ants go

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeschede View Post
Yes I purchased plants, I was at the Nursery in town and saw they had corn plants so I purchased some (I was getting a late start on my garden). I planted 12 rows of 6 stalks each row. The plants were only about 5" tall when I planted them. The fertilizer I used was high in nitrogen. I planted sunflowers between the rows of corn (I saw someone else do this and the corn was great). Do you think that could have been part of the problem? Sunflowers are doing great by the way.
Ants this year are all over my corn, sunflowers, and even peonies for a very good reason.
They open the blossoms in the peonies and seem to clear up that sticky stuff around the sunflower blossom.

Corn is a heavy feeder and loves sun/heat.
It also likes warm nights.
Where you are the nights are cool?

There are many corn varieties. Cross pollination is usually necessary. The sunflowers are LOADED with honey bees whereas my lavender are loaded with bumblebees.

I'd suggest paying attention to building up your soil really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden