Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

I have an idea what I need, but I can't find anyone who has such clothing. Does anyone know of any company that sells 100% cotton long sleeve shirts that are loose fitting (at cuffs & collar) and white? It has to be like a poncho top with no buttons or zippers. Jeans are fine for pants since they are cotton and provide protection from flying debris from the lawn mower or weed eater. While I've found some hats that provide protection from the sun, they do nothing to prevent the sweat from pouring down into my eyes. I've tried cooling bandanas and other cooling items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 07:55 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Try staying inside the house during the day. Do the yard work in the early morning and late afternoons. you will be surprised at the difference!! You can do more when you are more comfortable!

Old 08-15-2014, 08:02 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Try staying inside the house during the day. Do the yard work in the early morning and late afternoons. you will be surprised at the difference!! You can do more when you are more comfortable!
Problem is I work rotating shifts at the hospital. My rotation starts on a Tuesday night 11pm-7am 7 days straight, 2 days off, Thursday 3pm-11pm 7 days straight, 2 days off, Saturday 7am-3pm 6 days straight, 4 days off, repeat rotation. I live in south Louisiana. Most mornings leave the ground covered in water from the night's condensation from the humidity. Some times I have to do the yard right after work or just before going to work.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
Have you tried purchasing any clothing sold in the exercise stores that is designed to wick the sweat away from your body?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:34 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I have an idea what I need, but I can't find anyone who has such clothing. Does anyone know of any company that sells 100% cotton long sleeve shirts that are loose fitting (at cuffs & collar) and white? It has to be like a poncho top with no buttons or zippers. Jeans are fine for pants since they are cotton and provide protection from flying debris from the lawn mower or weed eater. While I've found some hats that provide protection from the sun, they do nothing to prevent the sweat from pouring down into my eyes. I've tried cooling bandannas and other cooling items.

My girlfriend used to wear the outfit that Karate Students wear and she was quite comfortable when gardening, mowing or doing other yard work.
She also had a white bandanna that she tied on her head and put a wide brim straw hat on.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Check on line for outfitters who sell clothing for Salt water flats fishing. They should have everything you are wanting. Everything from shirts ;shorts and hat to stay cool.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:16 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
It sounds like you want something from a tropical climate, perhaps from the Phillipines. The dress shirt is called the barong but I do not know what it would be called in a 'working' version.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:54 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
For me my garden clothes end up the same way: stained and torn.

100% cotton or linen- Absorbent so you can wipe your hands on them when they are wet from watering or have bug juice on them after you have squished bugs. Even with gloves, there is a need to wipe hands on something. You will also sweat a lot and need to wipe your face. Polyester is not good for this.

Big pockets - Usu I'll walk over to someplace in the garden and end up picking fruit to eat, or some rotten fruit to compost. Or pulling up a weed or picking up trash or rocks. It is nice to have big pockets.

Sometimes I'll wear a sundress. These are easy to pull on and off when you come in from gardening. And even with the bugs sometimes I like to get sun. IMO there is no point in buying new clothes specifically for gardening as it is a waste of money.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:01 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
I have an idea what I need, but I can't find anyone who has such clothing. Does anyone know of any company that sells 100% cotton long sleeve shirts that are loose fitting (at cuffs & collar) and white? It has to be like a poncho top with no buttons or zippers. Jeans are fine for pants since they are cotton and provide protection from flying debris from the lawn mower or weed eater. While I've found some hats that provide protection from the sun, they do nothing to prevent the sweat from pouring down into my eyes. I've tried cooling bandanas and other cooling items.
Have you looked at some of the weather-specific clothing on the Suluth Trading website? I haven't tried any of their stuff, buti I've heard it's really good.

I have an Endura Cool head wrap. It's useless. Waste of $20.

I take a flour sack dish towel and roll up ice in it and tie it around my neck. That's about the best cooling aid I've ever used. When the ice is 3/4 melted and the front of me is all wet (feels cool!), I know it's time to go inside for a break and add more ice.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:23 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
Quote:
Do what they did before air conditioner. T shirts were worn under cotton white shirt with a handerchef in the pocket . I remember my dad always doing this because I had to press them...hated it.

Since this is yard work then go buy them at a thrift store. When I do yard work, I wear a tank top or T shirt underneath and cotton long sleeve shirt (rolled up 1/4 ) I bought at the thrift store. I also cover my head with a cotton flour sack kitchen towel to keep any insects, bird poop, leaves and dust from falling into my hair and it absorbs most of the sweat if you fold it right. You can put a wide brim hat on top if you want.

Curious, can you freeze those cooling bandanas? If so then wear it around your neck. I never bought one so I don't know.

Louisiana is very humid, it takes awhile to get used to but you will.

PS
100% cotton underwear helps also

Last edited by eyewrist; 08-16-2014 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden