Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:18 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Unfortunatley, grub killer doesn't make a difference because beetles on your plants aren't born from the grubs in your lawn. Japenses beetles can fly as far as five miles. So grub killer will save your lawn from grub damage, but unless everyone in a 5 mile radius of you is diligent about controlling them, you'll still have beetles.
Grub killer is absolutely the only way to break the life cycle, specifically Milky Spore treatments on your lawn. A Japanese Beetle will not likely fly long distances if it can go straight up from the ground to the nearest food source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 02:07 PM

5 posts, read 25,923 times
I am in NC now, and I grew up in NJ. I know how horrible these beetles are to deal with so my best form of control now is straight from nature- Put a bird feeder close to your rose bush and feed your birds seed and bread. You won't believe the difference in the amount of beetles! Many birds such as grackles will devour the beetles before they have a chance to mate and multiply. I feed my birds seed from walmart in 50# bags, and cheap white bread from the grocery store. the white bread will attract grackles more quickly. (black birds with irredecent blue heads) It's actually cheaper to feed thebirds than it is to buy poison and it's a whole lot better for the environment than nasty cancer causing sevin dust and the like...

Old 08-22-2014, 02:15 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
Well I'm glad to know that others are dealing with this the same way I am. It's just so frustrating. I spoke with the garden experts on our local radio show and they were interested to know what part of town I live in as they are tracking reports of Japanese beetles. You can tell they're new for us!

I'm sorry to hear the Emerald ash-borer is in Erie. It's only a matter of time before they spread further. It's a changing world for sure, even in the garden.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:19 PM

79 Goldie, just saw your post. I was just wondering if birds will eat those beetles. Great idea!

Old 08-22-2014, 03:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I had great luck with Milky Spore when I lived in Atlanta. I was President of our HOA when the neighborhood was very young. I convinced about 99% of the residents to let the HOA put it down for them if we paid for half of it. It was remarkable how much this greatly reduced the problem and the protection lasts for many years....it might still be working.
I haven't done it here in N.C, but I gave up on roses long ago except for a feew Knock Out the builder put in. Then I have the girls pick them off and put in a cup of gasoline.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:23 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
I remember way back when I was a kid, before we had a clothes dryer, not only did they get on my mother's roses, they got all over the clothes hung out on the clothesline.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I remember way back when I was a kid, before we had a clothes dryer, not only did they get on my mother's roses, they got all over the clothes hung out on the clothesline.
Eeewww!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:08 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
I used to use those green bags on posts sold in stores for this. Than , as someone said, too many in the neighborhood were defeating the purpose and I got none one year and it was better than ever because they went to the neighbor's bags.

I will mention they can sting when they...I guess it's bite. I got to the point where I handled them by hand when I saw any and that's okay as long as you don't keep them in your palm to long. I walked through ornamental grass a couple of days ago and about 15 minutes later felt a terrible sting on my arm. One of those guys had attached itself to my arm. It can itch for a while after.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 PM

I had no idea they could bite people but they sure can bite roses so why not? I don't touch them...I just tap them into the Baggie from the leaf or flower they are biting. I wish bees ate them. I have a million bees on my Russian sage and Blue Mist spirea nearby the poor affected rose bush.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:51 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
Sevin dust will kill them. And now that the beetles have made it, armadillos can't be far behind. Oh, yeah...also kudzu and fire ants. Global warming is real.
I dunno about armadillos . . . I do remember as a kid in Maryland in the '50s catching Japanese Beetles and ripping out their wings. (I guess we weren't adequately trained about cruelty to animals.)

Fast forward 60 years and I STILL haven't seen an armadillo meandering down the road. Is it 'cause we moved north to Pennsylvania? Should we be on the lookout?? Armadillos and hedgehogs and koalas -- we don't have 'em but I think it'd be fun if we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden