Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 04:37 AM

3 posts, read 3,762 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I really need help with my tomato, pepper and chili plants. How can I post a pic of them on here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 08:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Click "Go Advanced" and attach them, or upload to an internet site such as flickr and link using the yellow "insert image" icon. Also, be sure to indicate where you are. In northern areas like here the season is about over.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:57 AM

Screenshot by Lightshot
Screenshot by Lightshot
Screenshot by Lightshot
Screenshot by Lightshot
Screenshot by Lightshot
So basically, ive got a tomato plant that is completely dead. don't know y. it got its water and light and other things it needed. My chili plant is a "cayenne" from Italy if am correct. Ive got 2 problems with it. 1. It gives chili of 6cm instead of the 12 it was supposed to give. 2. It had lots of flowers but got only one chili!. My pepper plants seem to be in an awful state. As u can see, they lose all of their leaves and branches. They r at least 8mths old. All of em. Those that give flowers which in turn turns into pepper, the branches and leaves fall and even the fruit. dunnow what to do plz heeeeelp

Old 09-28-2014, 11:23 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Did you move any of these plants before photographing them? If you didn't, I'd say lack of ample sunshine is a big culprit. These plants need A LOT of full sun, at least six hours a day.

The tomato plant is completely dead, yes.

The containers are too small to support the large plants you're trying to grow, and that planting medium looks like native soil, and not very good soil. That's a gigantic factor.

What should you do? Pitch everything right now. Plants that are 8 months old and under that kind of stress will never amount to anything. And then next year:

Get much larger pots.

Use a container mix. If you want to add some compost to it, that's great. I'm doing that in my container veg this year and I am overrun with peppers and herbs.

Place the containers in FULL sun. Preferably morning until mid to late afternoon.

Water the containers at least once every other day. Check the moisture every day and water more as needed, especially when the weather is hot and dry. Mulching the containerized plants with straw will help retain more moisture.

Feed with a balanced water soluble fertilizer, like Miracle-Gro, once every ten days. Do not mix it too strong and do not over fertilize.

Live and learn! Good luck next year!

Old 09-28-2014, 12:48 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
If you want to directly load your pictures to your post; try Photobucket. It's free. Just establish an account - start your library (it's easy). Your home page has a place or window to upload pictures. Just partially minimize the Photobucket window and drag any picture, that you have on our desktop (or whatever) to their upload window. After enduring a commercial; your picture is now public and you can share it with anybody. If you want to insert it on one of your post; simply go to your Photobucket, click on the picture you want and maximize it, then right click on the picture and go the 'properties' - simply copy the url from the properties and then you can paste that url in the little window, here at City-Data, titled "insert image". The insert image is the little box that looks like a picture of mountains and a sun.

Anyway; good luck!

Old 09-28-2014, 04:36 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Your soil looks dry as a bone also.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:17 PM

thnx guys. But the plants do get sunlight from 5:30am to about 6pm since it is always on the balcony. As for the pots, I know they r small but its just that getting bigger ones would cost soo much. Moreover, I water them 6 days a week. I read somewhere that its gud to leave one day without watering coz I was hving problems with my tomatoes. they would get some black spots on the bottom and apparently, that was due to overwatering so I just water 6 days a week now. And what about the chili plant?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:26 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
As you were told, the pots are too small. Those plants need more soil to grow properly. If buying bigger pots is to expensive, then give up trying to grow veggies in pots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden