Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 02:37 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times

Advertisements

Howdy. I was thinking of making some seed bombs (compost and a few seeds encased in a thin layer of clay). Many will be thrown over the fence to the much-ignored city lot next door and the rest placed in areas around the house to make my spring planting easier. (zone 7)

Should I do this in a few weeks, just before the first frost? Or, in late winter. I thought the clay might not wear away enough if I do it in late winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 07:20 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
Freezing and thawing will make the bombs open up. If you are using seeds that require chilling (of course you are!), you can put them out any time. They won't germinate until spring.

One of my favorite areas of our property is a brush pile out back, hidden from view from the house. I put all the discarded annuals back there, plus bits of turf we dug up when we trenched the edges of some beds. There are zinnias and about a hundred garden balsam plants blooming their heads off on that brush pile!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:05 AM

Thanks, Tina. I thought I would do this around Halloween - it should be cool enough by then. There are some areas that really need work! And then there's that dang lot...it has a lot of tree and tall weed cover, but maybe something pretty will grow there for the squirrels and for the deer if he comes back. Plus, we get absurd amounts of skeeters to repel.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:44 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
NYCHistory Gal I'm not sure if it makes any difference if you are bombing with native seeds. I'm in MD and I've broadcast seeds in the rights of way close to my house and at my job. My rationale is that the majority won't germinate until they get the stratification that they need. I've had luck with a lot of seeds by doing this. Maybe one year I'll try to make the bombs, though. Trying to get the seeds in the right place is hard and I'm usually ending up blowing seeds. Like puff blow not the adult or financial kind.

Now or some weeks ago is when the natives in my own garden are dropping their seeds on the ground. So it is not too early for the plants already in the ground, so it is not to early for me to mimic nature. I'm extra happy this year because I had a lot of liatris spicata seeds. It is doing well for me in conditions that it is not even supposed to like. It is supposedly a common plant and the bulbs were really cheap, but it is so beautiful.

Piet Oudolf's fame in landscaping circles gets on my nerves, but I can thank him for showing me the beauty of this plant's upright purple spikes even in what is basically a field of weeds Ha ha ha which is what Piet's meadows bring to mind. If I threw some seeds in a field and called it a garden, 100% guarantee that nobody would care.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:20 PM

I'm saving some seeds, and of course, buying more! It's a sickness, I tell ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden