Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:13 PM

185 posts, read 244,558 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for ideas to keep perinneal and annual weeds out of my garden among my plants.

I have dogs in this area and cannot spray weed killer. I can't put down pre emergents they eat it and are always licking their feet.

Has anyone had luck with killing large areas of weed seedlings with hot water or horticulture grade vinegar without harming the plants in the garden?

Or any other ideas will be greatly appreciated....!!!

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with ideas to keep weeds from my garden.-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 09:14 PM

22,419 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Dig 'em up!

Old 10-11-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Dig 'em up!
Yikes it over a quarter of acre an I have a bad back.....

Thanks can do a few but not the whole area.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:38 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
Your yard is so lush and green! Very pretty.

I think you should just hire someone to pull them. Before I looked at the photo, I was thinking you could put down some weed cloth, but it looks like you're trying to manage weeds around stepping stones and that type of thing. Without using some type of chemical, I don't know what you can do other than pull them. Or pay someone to pull them.

But, hopefully, someone will come up with something here.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Your yard is so lush and green! Very pretty.

I think you should just hire someone to pull them. Before I looked at the photo, I was thinking you could put down some weed cloth, but it looks like you're trying to manage weeds around stepping stones and that type of thing. Without using some type of chemical, I don't know what you can do other than pull them. Or pay someone to pull them.

But, hopefully, someone will come up with something here.
Thanks I have done that in the past. The problem is they don't know a weed from a plant....

I have had a helper for years and he hates to pull weed. I pay him$15.00 per hour.

Yes there are path ways rock areas fot table and dining and areas for just reading with benches and a couple of ponds.

Pulling is a good way to get rid of them and I hope to find a lasting way. Even the deer eat all my ground cover which adds to the squirrels planting nuts and seedling coming up in fall.
I was thinking it lay another layer of landscape cloth and cover with something?

I hate weeds! I Will hope for a hard freeze this winter to kill them all. It's always something!
Thanks for taking time to read my post.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistle4stop View Post
Thanks I have done that in the past. The problem is they don't know a weed from a plant....
LOL too funny. Yards are non-stop work, aren't they? I miss having one, until I read a post like yours and think, ...oh yeah....all that work...

Old 10-11-2014, 11:48 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,019,840 times
I'm trying mini-clover in areas of the yard. I'm hoping that over the next few years, they will choke out weeds and crabgrass

Old 10-12-2014, 09:37 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,360,504 times
Default Suggestions for your quarter acre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistle4stop View Post
Yikes it over a quarter of acre an I have a bad back.....

Thanks can do a few but not the whole area.
Three things you can do: First, go "no till" which means you till when you need to, perhaps every third year. That should signifigantly keep the weeds down.Second, by all means run a little cover material in the sunniest areas. And third, weed lightly and use sets for your garden instead of seeds. When they get their roots established (plant late) goose them with fish oil fertilizer, which bolts their green mass, effectively getting the jump on the weeds.

I ran six hens on an on again/off again patrol of my three acres. Since the weeds are reaching for the sun, the hens would go for their softness instead of my bought "sets" that had hardened. It worked great.

One other thing: with a bad back and poor choices for yard help (they don't know weeds and don't want to do work involving bending their body) you could source a local that doesn't have as large a yard but does have the interest in growing. A senior, someone reliable.

My grandfather moved into town a grew five acres of corn for the major grocery chain, just for something to do. Farmers never stop. That's why they live for a hundred years.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,658,912 times
In areas with ground cover, you have little choice but to pull them. It helps to fertilize the groundcover so thy are healthy and grow to choke out the weeds.

For rock gardens be sure to use heavy weed cloth under the stones.

When planting a new area, use weedcloth and cut out an "X" for each plant. I did that with a large vegetable garden and had no weeds at all this summer.

For soil areas, most tree services will give away a trailer load of wood chips free. I have some coming next week, probably 5-6 cubic yards. Around here conifer bark is popular but expensive, and wood chips if kept at 2-3" deep will prevent weeds and at the same time allow more of the water/air to reach the soil than decorative bark.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:43 PM

NoMoreSnowForME...

As UR online name says it loud and clear.. No more for me either..
My passion is gardening & landscape design. As I get older, retired now I look forward to more & more help .. I think that's the best way to go. As well as a combination of all the other ideas posted in reply.

I have had just about everything growing from veggies to annuals to perennials over the years. Studying the seed catalogues all winter is now a thing of the past.

I am at the point that when in spring if a seedling not a weed is pulled I'm ok with that. Or any plant gone something else will take its place.

I will be gardening till I'm called away... Still in the my heart. My poor green thumbs have turned inward from arthritis..not so easy to flex them.

Thanks for reminding me gardening is always a work in progress. It's the work part I can't do either and don't miss. I always wonder how much longer I can live in the country. I Just may decide one day to give it up and get on with my day. A condo is sounding better and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden