Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 04:37 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistle4stop
Help!
There is a monster Quaker Aspen in my back yard. Almost 80'. Was there when we moved in. Every year it tilts more and more over to one side. It's at a 45' tilt with three other trunks next to it following it's slide sideways .
Is it possible to position a 2X4 up against it to give it some support?? (Make sure the board is securely in the ground)

GOOD LUCK!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 04:47 PM

185 posts, read 245,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Is it possible to position a 2X4 up against it to give it some support?? (Make sure the board is securely in the ground)

GOOD LUCK!!
Thanks,that's another great idea. I'll ask the tree guy if it also possible to cable it? Snow is heavy and could just crack a 2x4.

Thakns for takin time to help!

Old 10-13-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
OP where you located in CA I might know a good tree service in your area. If it's a "Quaking Aspen" your talking about then you must be located somewhere above 2000' as Aspens won't survive much less grow to 80' tall below that elevation. In California I have never seen them below 5000' and I've been all over the mountains of California since the late 70's.
Bulldogdad,

Yes we r up in the mtns and it snows. Many years of wind and the snow weight has toppled three trunks down sideways. Literally stabilized by a small weeping tree.

I've called three in my area to come out and give a estimate.

Thanks fo taking time to help!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:07 PM

Yes I forgot about snow!!!!!!!

Yes cabling is also a grand idea along with the board

Old 10-13-2014, 10:17 PM

Dude111...Spot On !

Old 10-14-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistle4stop View Post
Dude111...Spot On !
I HAVE 3 estimators coming out . I'll let ya know who climbs who uses the bucket & how much!

Old 10-14-2014, 04:50 PM

Thumbs up *

Yes please do let me know,I hope I have helped ya

Old 10-14-2014, 11:41 PM

Dude111

One showed up today . $800 to climb three 80' aspens trunks and side branches. Cut down from the top down. side by side trunks on the slide. Plus wood chipping and cutting into fire wood..

I have talked him down to $700.00 yikes. Maybe and that's a big maybe, it's worth taking the chance for dec snow... Ins will cover it. But that has its risks....

Two more estimates coming out see what they have to say.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:17 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Fisheye,

Thanks that's a great idea. The fishing line to get the rope up hi enough over the top and wrap now that's sheer genius. It does take some time to maneuver the rope around all the other branches on up the tree.

I could try to push it up once tied and secured to the sand weight box about a ton used for balancing the tractor when using the bucket . I've done smaller trees before using the tractor. Then push the tree up slowly. If it's not too muddy , mabe over a few weeks with the tractor. Tighten and secured with the come-along. If it snaps extra ropes could help the direction it falls if I secure another heavy duty rope and chain in the ground away from the garden, taking a chance it will follow the pull down keeping the rope tight with no slack. The trick is removing some of the higher limbs for a non drag drop. Also it won't snag the other smaller expensive trees and shrubs as it falls. I don't think it can be propped up they have such shallow roots.

I have saved trees from wind and snow storms 15-20' in the past that way. It takes years for the evergreen trees roots to grow out. But it's worth it rather than looking at a huge bare spot. If the Quaking Aspen falls it will take out 4-5 smaller evergreens and all my flowers & shrubs paths arches..this Aspen is a monster and heavy. I'm not sure my tractor can pull it . I may be able to push it with the bucket...or call ins co.?

I may get a estimate from a tree co. Using a bucket to trim the tree there are thee huge Aspen trunks over 80' tall with many side branches all leaning ready to slide on down.

I really like UR idea may give it a try if the tree gets to squirrelly I will stop and call a pro. It's going to take a village to get this one raised.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
We used to go to many yard sales. I always bought up rope and chain - as well as come-a-longs, chain hoists and block-and-tackles. So I was well prepared when we had that one ice storm.

The trick with the fishing line is to use a smooth weight and strong line. Once you get it over the right spot/limb; then attach heavier, but thin rope (like the nylon surveyor's string), to the end of the fish line that made it over. Then pull that over and you can finally attach your strong rope to that end.

My strong ropes I have secured to the upper sections of trees two different ways. One way is to make a slip knot and to pull the other end through that knot. Another way, that I have used, is that I will tie the one end to a sturdy four or five inch log about two feet long. This works if my rope is up the tree and through the right size crotch. I then pull my free end until the log gets stuck in the crotch.

The advantage of using this fishing line method is that you can secure your ropes to trees that you either cannot climb or you don't have the equipment (like a lift bucket) The farther up the trunk of the tree that you go; the more leverage you exert on the tree. I recently got one rope high on a two foot in diameter rock oak. I had secured it to the towing hitch of an old 4-wheel drive pickup. When I started pulling, to check if my rope was secure. the tree started moving. I wanted it down in the right direction; so I kept on pulling. I managed to pull it down, in the right direction, and even pulled the stump right out of the ground!

I originally thought of the fishing line for safety ropes on trees that I wanted to remove very close to my house. Even though I have cut down many trees (I used to sell firewood many years ago); I still did not want to take a chance close to my house. So I would put two safety lines on any tree that could possibly hit my house. I attached the lines to the trunks of trees that would prevent the tree, I was going to cut, from falling towards my house. If I could, I would even put a third rope on the tree pulling in the right direction for the tree to fall. That third line I would use for a come-a-long, block-and-tackle or bumper of a truck - depending on the size of the tree.

I have also used a bow and arrow to put lines over trees. But, for safety sake, use the fishing line instead. Anything that goes up; also comes down.

All trees are dangerous and nobody should take unnecessary risk. It is very easy to dislodge dead branches while your attempting an undertaking (like attaching these ropes). One time I just started to cut down one dead tree and I perceived something coming at me. I got my forearm up to my head as a dead branch struck my forearm. It could have snapped my neck. The limb that hit me was four inches in diameter. I was fortunate that my forearm deflected the blow. It still left me stunned.

Be careful and good luck. Don't tackle anything if you don't think you have the ability or the tools to do the job.

PS Did you check your insurance policy or call your agent?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:09 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Dude111

One showed up today . $800 to climb three 80' aspens trunks and side branches. Cut down from the top down. side by side trunks on the slide. Plus wood chipping and cutting into fire wood..

I have talked him down to $700.00 yikes. Maybe and that's a big maybe, it's worth taking the chance for dec snow... Ins will cover it. But that has its risks....

Two more estimates coming out see what they have to say.
$700 to take down three trees of that size? That's a heck of a deal including chipping and chunked out for firewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden