Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:28 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I want to hear some suggestions on what your all's opinion of the most beautiful flowering BIG trees are? So a big tree cuts out the smaller tree/scrub types like the Redbud tree for instance.

One day, I want to own a house and plant a big tree there and I want to pick something with beautiful flowers. I'm not sure of the climate I will live in yet. My personal favorite is the Royal Poinciana. My hometown of Naples, FL is one of the few places in America where this gorgeous tree can be grown and I will always have a fondness of it.

Other nods go out to the Blue Jacaranda and the Cherry Blossom.

A third mention of mine is the Golden Rain Tree. I just figured out what this tree is called. They are all over the place in Florida.

Do you all have any suggestions? You can name as many as you want from whatever climate.
We have the following trees:

40' Cherry --beautiful and fragrant in the Spring.
15' Red Sunset Maple on its way to 45'+. Very pretty.
12' Snow Crab Apple on its way to 20'-25'. Not big but pretty and fragrant.
30' Apple with something like honey crisps. My favorite blossoms
20-25' Lilacs. I know They are shrubs. But they are tall and oh-so-wonderful.

I am partial to the maples (40-60') in town. I like the birches too, but they are fragile in high winds. I also like Western Red Cedars. These are really our region's tree. They are almost as beautiful as redwoods.

S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 06:05 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Most big trees don't have pretty flowers, and the few that do (Tulip Poplar, Cucumber Magnolia, etc) will be so tall that you won't notice them.

Some "pretty" trees like the Paulownia, Golden Rain Tree, and flowering pear are native to Asia and can be invasive pests here in North America.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:06 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAustin View Post
My favourite tree is Myrica cerifera. It is not the big tree but it looks very good and enhances the look of my lawn. So I would prefer you to go for Myrica cerifera.
Wax Myrtle is a shrub, not a tree.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:53 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,961 times
White oak
tulip tree (Liriodendron tulipifera) It has flowers, but they can't really be seen too well way up there.
for flowers, Jacaranda
Southern Magnolia
Cucumber tree, a deciduous magnolia with BIG flowers
Old, big, weeping cherry trees.

And I will add Paulownia, native or not.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Jacaranda! All the way. So beautiful and they will turn the lawn under them purple like fairy dust.

Magnolia is second, but the leaves never look right to me, when they are anywhere other than in the south. I think it's the humidity that they need. They will grow and flower in CA, but the leaves always look brown, not like they look in TN, where I lived for 5 years.

My frustration with Magnolia trees is that the flowers are always way too far away to pick! But, the smell is heavenly and not overpowering.

You could also have standard orange trees, but the orange blossoms smell WAY too strong. They will gag you a block away, just like jasmine - gack!

Anyway, my vote is the Jacaronda which will treat you right whether you're in FL or Mexico (where I first saw them) or even in dry CA.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:18 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
My favorites are willow and catalpa. The catalpa trees have blossoms that look like small orchids. When in full bloom, the fragrance and appearance is fabulous.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:51 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Don't you have something called Crepe Myrtle in the south? One time I was down there and all the Christmas decorations seemed to be made of it.

I know of a gigantic beautiful tree and I know it is near a house in New Hampshire but I can never think of the name of it. I want to say Mimosa but it isn't.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:54 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Really old Live Oaks covered in Spanish moss overhanging a road. But Im from the South

Old 11-07-2014, 05:20 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Jacarandas are beautiful from a distance but make an unholy mess. If it's not the flowers, it's the seed pods, and if it's not the seeds, it's the leaves.

Magnolias are beautiful, but messy too. Those odd seed pods and the little red seeds. We have crepe myrtles here. They drop little frilly pink flowers all over. Hmmm...anything with nice flowers seems to make a mess.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:29 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
One of my Favorite trees which is seldom to rarely planted or seen but up where I live, being a Southern in transplant and by heart, I would say that the Southern Magnolia is near or at the very top of my favorite trees list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden