Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2014, 11:20 PM

215 posts, read 607,147 times

Advertisements

So I just recently moved into my first house and the yard isn't bad, but it could be better. I was hoping to get this done next Spring so I'm doing the research for it now to get it started then. I'm wanting to get my grass grown up again, since I think it's just horrendous at the moment. I'm going after a thick yard, which I think is going to happen but I have no idea about growing grass and whats the best seed, etc. I'm in Fuquay, NC by the way.

Here are a few pictures of my front yard after mulching up the leaves. Still need to get the mulched leaves up and figure something to do with them. Now, the previous owners of the house were really big into nature, so I have a feeling they had a very nice, green yard (I don't know for sure as I bought it in the fall/winter). But what I'm planning on doing was to get some good grass seed down that will thicken out the yard and make it green again (preferably year round) as well as put some red mulching down around the tree areas where the azalea bushes are and in the flower beds and near the swing area.

The only downside is, there's a few trees in the front yard that are really tall (mostly oaks) and in turn theres quite a bit of shade in the front yard. The back yard towards the house is more open and bright, which should make it easier to grow, but the back natural area (I'm pushing here now, I REALLY want it to be green grass, but I doubt it) is basically dirt and tons of trees.

Sorry for the long post, but here are the pictures of the front yard to see what I have to work with. What should I do with the mulched up leaves? Am I hoping for something impossible with the amount of shade I have in the front? Is this doable? I work 4 10s and get off around 2-3pm every day so I do have quite a bit of time to maintain and try and get this going strong. Should I also invest in a sprinkler system while I'm growing grass or what?

Also, what would be the ideal way of removing the leaves between the plants and trees? I've tried getting a rake in there and failed, a leaf blower just blows it up the tree. By hand seems to be the only way I can think of. Thanks for the tips and advice, looking forward to doing more in my yard if all this goes well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 09:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
If I had that many leaves I'd buy a cheap shredder ($100-150) and run them through and either bag up for the yard recycling collection or compost for the garden. Some leaf blowers, like mine, also can be used to vacuum the leaves into a bag. There is grass seed available that does well in shade, such as the one below. I planted about 2,000 sf of it under my two 100' fir trees in September, so that the rains would water them for me. It's probably too late now for you, but you can prepare for it and seed in early spring. For an area that large in your climate sprinklers would be a good convenience. Here we only have to water in July and August so it's not worth the cost.

Dense Shade Mix

Old 12-15-2014, 01:48 PM

Well I ran over em with the lawm mower so it wasn't that bad. And the previous owners did have a garden/compose (in the same area o.o) so I may just rake em into a drop cloth or something and dump em in there.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Munch and too much Mulch cutting grass needs to be done much more often Smaller cut) than bagging or your going to have to detach the soil every year depending on now much warmth and rain you get. Fertilizer can help mulch( cut grass blades) to compose faster.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Munch and too much Mulch cutting grass needs to be done much more often Smaller cut) than bagging or your going to have to detach the soil every year depending on now much warmth and rain you get. Fertilizer can help mulch( cut grass blades) to compose faster.
I'm sorry, but huh? Munch and too much Mulch cutting grass needs to be done...?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
I understand your situation since my backyard and my neighbors look similar to yours. Right now, I would keep running the lawnmower over the leaves as long as the weather permits. If those oak leaves lay in the grass over the winter, they will kill the grass underneath. I don't see any reason "to get the mulched leaves up and figure something to do with them." Blow as much of the leaves out into the open, run the lawmower over them, and spread lots of lime on the yard. I'm in Pennsylvania and have hardly any leaves on my grass right now and did not rake or vacuum any leaves.

Don't cut the grass too short. I'll cut mine a little shorter late in the fall in order to chop up the leaves better. The rest of the year, I cut it as high as possible.

In the spring I would aerate, spread grass seed for dense shade, spread more lime and spread a starter fertilizer.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 AM

Why spread lime over the yard? Isn't that dangerous for pets?

And I should just leave the mulched up leaves on the ground, it's pretty thick in some areas or will it just make the soil better off in the spring by leaving it?

What to do back here, it looks like a mess and it's eh.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:26 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
Why spread lime over the yard? Isn't that dangerous for pets?

And I should just leave the mulched up leaves on the ground, it's pretty thick in some areas or will it just make the soil better off in the spring by leaving it?

What to do back here, it looks like a mess and it's eh.
Most soils in North Carolina are acidic. The only sure way to know is to test the pH level of your soil. This site explains how you can have your soil tested. NCDA&CS Agronomic Division - Frequently Asked Questions about Soil Testing and Fertilizer

There are different types of lime available. Noncaustic lime is ground limestone or calcitic limestone consists almost entirely of calcium carbonate. It is the most commonly used type of lime in the United States, because it is abundant and inexpensive. Also called aglime, calcitic lime adds calcium to the soil, helps neutralizes acidity and is noncaustic. Dolomitic lime is also noncaustic, and it contains almost equal amounts of magnesium and calcium carbonate. Dolomitic lime is similar in its manufacturing to calcitic lime, but dolomitic lime also contains magnesium.

The mulched leaves are an excellent source of fertilizer for your lawn. I had as many leaves in my backyard as you. I ran my lawnmower over them a couple times a week and hardly have any sign of leaves now. The more you can mulch the leaves, the better it will be for your grass. You might want to lower your lawnmower a notch or two. You will grind up leaves more effectively.

You will probably still have oak leaves falling off the trees throughout the winter, so getting out early in the spring and mulching the leaves will give your lawn a good start in the spring.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:36 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
There is a serrated blade, a "gator" blade that replaces the regular blade. Then there is an attachment that covers the outlet to keep the leaves swirling around until they break into little bits and fall to the ground.

Some landscapers modify their mowers with these to mulch the leaves in place. Enriches the soil at minimal cost. Much cheaper than blowing and bagging and removing leaves. Better for the grass. Looks good. What's not to like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden