Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 11:36 PM

322 posts, read 778,957 times

Advertisements

I have several plants (ferns, african violets) under grow lights that I bought all at the end of the summer. The plants are skimping along, alive, but they do not seem to ever dry out. The violets aren't flowering at all but are growing baby leaves. Why would they not dry out? I'm afraid they are going to get fungus if I water them. The grow lights are all the only light they are getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
In most cases watering once a week should be sufficient, and hopefully you water by immersing the pots into a bowl of water so that it absorbs up from the bottom They are heavy feeders, for blooms I would suggest a good violet fertilizer in the water every other week.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:54 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,168 times
The temperature of the environment can play a factor- a small fan can help.
With African Violets, they like to be slightly damp and usually only need an occasional watering. Ferns like to be moist, but not over watered.
Cut back on how much you water.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I have several plants (ferns, african violets) under grow lights that I bought all at the end of the summer. The plants are skimping along, alive, but they do not seem to ever dry out. The violets aren't flowering at all but are growing baby leaves. Why would they not dry out? I'm afraid they are going to get fungus if I water them. The grow lights are all the only light they are getting.
Are you using florescent lights only?

Many plants need more red spectrum light to bloom and mature. HID is the best type of lighting for that, or LED.

The sun has more blue light during the spring and early summer, towards autumn, when many plants flower and mature, the light is more of the red spectrum. That may be why some of your plants aren't doing well.

Also, how close is the light? If you don't have something to reflect the light back to the plants, you may be losing quite a bit to the surrounding area.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:12 PM

712 posts, read 554,520 times
This is an old post. How can flowers be that wet? I have 9 african violets that I water on Saturday from the top since the African Violet pots doesn't seem to allow the flowers to absorb the water. Watering from the top is working fine since I never allow the water to touch the leaves. I have a full spectrum lamp with two arms (one red, one blue and together it looks purple) in the center of my plants I have a regular lamp with a CFL bulb. I turn these on every morning at 7 and turn them off at 7 in the evening. They are in front of a South window but still don't get enough natural light. All are blooming all are beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden