Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:46 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
You then run into the question of where the box is in the house before the OPs. He will dead head across two yards using the same logic which took him across one with a garden.
Yes, exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 04:45 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,615,907 times
You'd think road front mailboxes would equal no mail carrier problems in trespassing at least.

I have mentioned the tracks in my lawn. I really didn't notice them until they were pointed out to me, they were so faint and it's no longer warm weather.

Today...gullies. That girl is ... what ... spinning her wheels, catchin' mud. I guess she's having a good time because she keeps on doing it mailbox after malilbox, lawn edge after lawn edge.

It's relatively new, although the mail carrier isn't new. But with the winter weather there are the gullies she creates now.

And, before you ask, yes I did give her a box of chocolates for Christmas.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,358 times
Default Postal carrier damaging lawn

Honestly, since you confronted him directly and he shrugged it off, I think the best thing to do would be to put a couple of landscape pads (easily purchased at your local home store) and make a walking path for him. It's prettier than a gravel path and hopefully he'll keep off your plants. Next year I'd forgo the chocolates though!

Old 01-03-2015, 05:44 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
You'd think road front mailboxes would equal no mail carrier problems in trespassing at least.

I have mentioned the tracks in my lawn. I really didn't notice them until they were pointed out to me, they were so faint and it's no longer warm weather.

Today...gullies. That girl is ... what ... spinning her wheels, catchin' mud. I guess she's having a good time because she keeps on doing it mailbox after malilbox, lawn edge after lawn edge.

It's relatively new, although the mail carrier isn't new. But with the winter weather there are the gullies she creates now.

I am guessing that you are served by a rural carrier. In most cases they drive their own car and one of the laws not enforced on letter carriers are that they will sit in the right to reach mail boxes and reach over to the left to steer and accelerate/brake with their left foot. I have often argued that if the service really cares about safety this can't be happening in 2015. But being on debt limits they can't buy more vehicles and retired city vehicles from abolishing routes doesn't meet the demand.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:51 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
The suggestions to booby trap the path with a sprinkler or animal waste are really sickening. Why would anyone's first suggestion be something so aggressive and so punitive? Geeze, people. And we wonder why people in this world can't get along?

It's just someone walking through a flower bed, not burglarizing your property. It is something that can be dealt with in a civilized fashion. Mail carriers have a rough enough job as it is. Don't go making them even more uncomfortable than they already are. You are not as aggrieved as you think.

I couldn't agree more and can't believe some of the responses I'm reading. Strategically placing dog poo? Booby-trapping the path? Walking through a garden seems a lot more benign.

If this is important enough to make a Hollywood production of, the OP should get a P.O. box at the station and pick up his own dang mail.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:20 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,615,907 times
Quote:
I am guessing that you are served by a rural carrier. In most cases they drive their own car and one of the laws not enforced on letter carriers are that they will sit in the right to reach mail boxes and reach over to the left to steer and accelerate/brake with their left foot. I have often argued that if the service really cares about safety this can't be happening in 2015. But being on debt limits they can't buy more vehicles and retired city vehicles from abolishing routes doesn't meet the demand.
No, nearby is but we have the big guys..or girls. The actual USPS truck.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:39 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Since conversion kits are available, attempting to drive a left hand drive vehicle from the right is unnecessary.

RHD Kits | Right-hand Drive Conversion Kits (RHD)

Kits cost about $1700.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Well, I started reading this a while ago and left off. I'm going to read through it again when I get my coffee just right.

Interestingly, it was just pointed out to me that my mail TRUCK...not just the carrier...has been driving from my neighbor's mailbox to ours on that strip of grass just where the asphalt road leaves off. Where there's lots of gravel and weeds actually but we mow it anyway. Grass further in. I wondered what was happening. I guess the flattening of weeds it did in the summer was a good thing. But now the strip is starting to sink in.

So I'm thinking yellow construction type flags for a few weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I have had trouble with the mail lady driving through the swale for years. I finally excavated it and filled with muck and cow manure. After getting the postal vehicle stuck twice she stopped doing it. I still keep it water from underneath and soupy with only mulch on top.
Quote:

I have the same problem. Our mailboxes are located on the street. My grass goes up to a raised berm on the edge of the road, there is no sidewalk. During the winter, our mailman will get his right wheels on the grass side of the berm and drive the 60 feet to the next mailbox leaving a rut in the grass. I can't imagine that a mailman walking between my neighbors' house and mine could be as destructive as this. I agree with the suggestions for the stepping stones. It sounds like the simplest solution.

So who has a solution to my problem? Keep in mind that the mailman can easily deny that he was responsible by claiming someone else drove over the edge of the curb.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:46 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Mailmen are miserable bastards. My current mailman is a prick. No other way to describe him. I have never had an issue with a letter carrier before this guy showed up. He throws packages, doesn't deliver signature required mail etc...I have tried to speak to him several times and got an attitude and brushed off. I complained to his supervisors, they brushed me off to, what a waste of time. Now I just go online and submit a complaint.
Quote:
I caught him doing it multiple times from inside the house and when he was confronted with it he denied it. The other day my SO was in the driveway andhe didn't see her when he was delivering the mail, he threw a box and she caught him doing it and when she said something about it he brushed her off and walked away.

I imagine he get's off knowing how mad we get about what a jerk he is. Today we had a different carrier. I had three boxes delivered right to the front door. The man delivering was so nice. Even my dog liked him. He hates the other guy with a passion I have never seen.
Quote:
Prior to this guy I used to tip my Mailman every xmas $20. My UPS guy got $50 this year because he is awesome. He leaves a milk bone for my dog on top of the box every time he delivers. My dog used to bark at him now he cries for him when he see's the truck.

Where is your dog?

If the UPS guy leaves a milkbone on top of your mailbox, does this mean that your dog can get the bone himself?

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 01-04-2015 at 05:55 AM..

Old 01-04-2015, 06:52 AM

19 posts, read 23,165 times
move your mailbox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden