Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:08 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,807,259 times

Advertisements

A terrific idea worldwide
https://www.facebook.com/GMOFreeUSA/...type=1&fref=nf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,881,027 times
As well as a good idea for your own yard and neighborhood, as well. My neighbor and I call it "guerrilla gardening". We plant ornamental edibles in community spaces where ever we can. Stuff that can take care of itself but is edible as well. A lot of times in areas that aren't overly regulated, there's all sorts of spaces that can be planted with edibles. A brushy gulch is a great place to toss avocado seeds. As well as the much faster growing papaya seeds. Bananas along the edge of the road tend themselves and provide a lot of food. Etc., etc.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:39 PM

anything in my front yard is edible----to the dang deer.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:41 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,867,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
anything in my front yard is edible----to the dang deer.

Deers are edible..., just saying

Old 12-31-2014, 08:20 AM

30,252 posts, read 16,012,546 times
I think it's a great idea. Only problem someone (like yours truly) would park their doofus by the raspberries and hog them all.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:35 AM

Happy Happy New Year to my Gardening Forum friends. Here's hoping 2015 garden will be bountiful and pest free...same for your life!

Old 01-06-2015, 10:17 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,303,517 times
I'd love to be spared all this anti-GMO garbage, because it is complete garbage. The amount of misinformation about GMO, organics and food safety on the internet is absolutely jaw dropping.

Genetically modified crops are not only safe, nutritious and flavorful, they are the answer to feeding the world in the future. People who are in favor of GMO crops are not shills for Monsanto or Dow. We are shills for researched-based science and fact. And the fact that Canada and the EU have taken kneejerk steps to ban things like GMO and some pesticides is not impressive. They have made bad decisions, and they are beginning to realize it.

Well, what do you know? Neonics ban decimates farms in Europe, has no effect on bee populations.
Bee Deaths Reversal: As Evidence Points Away From Neonics As Driver, Pressure Builds To Rethink Ban - Forbes

And I'm not the only who has had enough of it. A group of scientists have developed a website, The Genetic Literacy Project, that debunks all the misinformation, shines spotlights on the so-called "scientific studies" that prove GMO is dangerous, and guess what? People are starting to listen.

I Mother’s science-based view: Organics and Whole Foods are ‘scam of the decade’ | Genetic Literacy Project

Activists play Agent Orange scare card in hopes of derailing USDA approval of 2,4-D resistant corn and soybeans | Genetic Literacy Project

Do yourself a favor and check out the articles on the site, and not just these I'm linking to. And for heaven's sake, stop paying top dollar at Whole Foods. As you can see, this subject gets my hackles up.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:10 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,700,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I'd love to be spared all this anti-GMO garbage, because it is complete garbage. The amount of misinformation about GMO, organics and food safety on the internet is absolutely jaw dropping.

Genetically modified crops are not only safe, nutritious and flavorful, they are the answer to feeding the world in the future. People who are in favor of GMO crops are not shills for Monsanto or Dow. We are shills for researched-based science and fact. And the fact that Canada and the EU have taken kneejerk steps to ban things like GMO and some pesticides is not impressive. They have made bad decisions, and they are beginning to realize it.

Well, what do you know? Neonics ban decimates farms in Europe, has no effect on bee populations.
Bee Deaths Reversal: As Evidence Points Away From Neonics As Driver, Pressure Builds To Rethink Ban - Forbes

And I'm not the only who has had enough of it. A group of scientists have developed a website, The Genetic Literacy Project, that debunks all the misinformation, shines spotlights on the so-called "scientific studies" that prove GMO is dangerous, and guess what? People are starting to listen.

I Mother’s science-based view: Organics and Whole Foods are ‘scam of the decade’ | Genetic Literacy Project

Activists play Agent Orange scare card in hopes of derailing USDA approval of 2,4-D resistant corn and soybeans | Genetic Literacy Project

Do yourself a favor and check out the articles on the site, and not just these I'm linking to. And for heaven's sake, stop paying top dollar at Whole Foods. As you can see, this subject gets my hackles up.
...and anti-GMO, pro-organic people can also come up with scientific research that GMO's can be dangerous.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:21 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,452,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
...and anti-GMO, pro-organic people can also come up with scientific research that GMO's can be dangerous.
It is already being proven that the GMO plants are causing the insects to develop a resistance to the plants. They are not real, many have genes of other plants or animals inserted into their gene structure. When I eat a tomato, I want to eat a tomato, not one with a gene from another plant or animal. Genetically modifying an organism and then releasing it into the enviornment is playing with fire.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,303,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
They can try, but no, they can't. The so-called "scientific studies" put forth by the anti-GMOers have all been debunked. The anti-GMO hysteria is based on misinformation and a hatred of Monsanto. I don't care for Monsanto's business practices, but GMO has been a thing since post Civil War America and only became a controversy when Monsanto's name was attached to it. If you have ever eaten seedless grapes, seedless watermelon, or broccoli (yeah, broccoli), you have eaten genetically modified food.

I would argue that the anti-GMO movement is as ignorant of verifiable scientific research as the climate-change deniers are.

As for organics, sure, go ahead and grow your organic gardens. I grow my vegetables that way, but only because it's a small plot and I don't have a serious pest problem. But pay attention to the produce that gets recalled. I do. It is always organic, and why is that? Uncomposted manures harboring pathogenic bacteria are used in the fields. Organic produce is no more healthful or flavorful than non-organic, and the milder pesticides used in 2015 (as opposed to those used when we were kids) are easily washed off if needed. Removing e.coli, salmonella and listeria are far more difficult. And for this, you pay twice as much? No thanks. I've studied plant pathology, pesticides, botany and horticulture for many years, in college and out of college, and I will never buy organic.

Here is a link debunking ten of those "scientific studies" that "prove" GMOs are harmful. Make sure to read the comments, which excoriate some of the commenters in this thread.

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.or...ience-matters/

Last edited by TinaMcG; 01-07-2015 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden