Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 09:46 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've recently moved to a house near Decatur, GA and I have a couple of question about my yard. First, there's an odd broadleaf plant that's infesting the lawn. It looks a little like dollar leaf, but not exactly, so I'm wondering if someone can ID it and tell me what works to kill it, but not the grass? http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps3bb5c9db.jpg

My second question is a bit more broad, but what is a good type of grass to use? The yard is a mix of shade and sun, with more than half being "shady" most of the day. I've thought about Zoysia, I had decent luck with it back in Conyers in Georgia red clay (UGH!) but I've also read that it's not so great for shadier areas. For which ever ground cover I ultimately choose, is sod or seed better? I'm not really looking to replace whatever grass is there now so much as I want to overseed with the new, but I do have a couple of isolated, bare areas where sod could work.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 02:17 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
It looks like glechoma hederacea to me.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:09 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,248,494 times
Wild violets and they will take over your yard. At least they took over mine when I lived in Tucker. Sorry I can't help on what to do about them - I didn't do anything to stop them from taking over.

Wild Violet (P) (Viola papilionacea) - family: Violaceae (Violet) - MSU Turf Weeds.net - Weed identification and information. A resource guide from the Dept. of Crop and Soil Sciences at Michigan State University

Old 01-02-2015, 07:35 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Yep, the violets look like it. They look hard to control too. I guess my best option is to dig up the biggest clumps, and overseed in the spring and fall.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:43 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Zoysia will tolerate some shade. Sod is faster.

Or you can create/enlarge a landscape bed there. You could also try an evergreen groundcover instead.

Why don't go to the botanical garden and get some decent ideas?

Old 01-05-2015, 09:19 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Sorry I can't help on what to do about them - I didn't do anything to stop them from taking over.
Just make peace with them. They look decent and require zero effort to maintain. Think of what you can do with all the money with the water, fertilizer and herbicide you no longer have to buy. Is your 401k fully funded? If not, you shouldn't even be thinking about battling these.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:36 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,616 times
Become familiar with THE GEORGIA GARDENER Walter REeves. Great website with tons of info about everything! You can spend ours perusing it. Gardening Tips and Advice by Walter Reeves: The Georgia Gardener He even has a bi monthly newsletter.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:31 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Oh my goodness I love wild violets so much. It hurts me to think of you killing them. Give them until springtime and see the amazing little things show out! They will compliment your daffodils and tulips.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:20 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,356,424 times
Wild violets are thugs in the garden and you should get rid of them. Pulling is frustrating and isn't a longterm solution. You need to bite the bullet and use an herbicide that is rated for killing wild violets. Check the labels for that, because my turfgrass professor told us this is the most difficult weed to eradicate in the lawn or garden.

If you want something to compliment your spring flowering bulbs, plant some grape hyacinths.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:03 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Oh my goodness I love wild violets so much. It hurts me to think of you killing them. Give them until springtime and see the amazing little things show out! They will compliment your daffodils and tulips.
DITTO! In the lawn they are LOVELY. In a garden bed...not so much. Not only are they edible, and native, but wild violets are Host Plants for the the great spangled fritillary butterfly according to this link:
Wild Violet - Viola sororia

This explains why I have these butterflies all over my yard in summer. Honestly seeing the carpet of blue flowers in my backyard is one of the joys of spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden