Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 09:20 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,688,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Awesome, Nickman.
Thank you, Non!

Quote:
We got two loads of yellow and green beans, but something is attacking the leaves, and we forgot to get some of that insect dust.
Did you get your bean pests under control? What did you use? I don't know how I manage to escape it, but the bad bugs leave my garden alone almost completely - I've not had any bug issues at all this season yet (slugs in the lettuce, but they didn't damage it). I don't know if it's because we have lots of beneficial insects I can't see or what, but I have very few issues with pests. I also inspect everything thoroughly every single day, so maybe my garden omnipresence scares them. Haha, wishful thinking!

Quote:
The Cubanelle peppers are growing before my eyes! We may get a dozen or more of them. The first one was pretty good.
Yummy!! I bet you'll get more than a dozen! The beautiful thing about pepper plants is the more you pick, the more you'll get! Keep harvesting them and you'll be overloaded in no time! Recalling to last season, I had one Giant Marconi plant (in a 5-gallon bucket) produce more than 50 peppers and those peppers were enormous. I was fully intent on growing a Cubanelle, but I must've given it away. I had a spot reserved for one in my original plans, but when I went to plant, none were there. That's what I get! Oh well, now I have something to look forward to next season!

Quote:
The potatoes seem to be doing well enough in their bags, though I wish I had put more soil mix on the bottom of the bag to start. Next time!
Keep me/us posted on how the potatoes do (and the subsequent harvest)! I may try potatoes next season.

Quote:
But the indeterminates in the earthboxes...we moved the Adirondack chairs and substituted a ladder, but after the last heavy rain, they completely flopped over onto the ladder, bending the tomato cage and stakes along with them.
Oh no! It sucks the plants busted their supports, but it's also a sign of very healthy and productive plants, it seems! I worry about mine a bit because most of the Earthbox tomatoes are already reaching the tops of the supports and it's not even July. Most of mine only surpassed the top by 5-6" last season, so I'm not really prepared to deal with it. I guess I'll just have to let them flop over the top.. A good problem to have - I'd rather have huge, floppy plants than thin, sickly ones.

Quote:
I have no idea if we will get other indeterminates next year, or what we'll put them in.
Why not?! And, if not, the sky is the limit. Plant whatever you feel like. These Earthboxes are wonderful. I'll keep doing the interminates in the Earthboxes, I'll just use 8' stakes next season instead of the 6' ones I'm using this season. I may also "top" the plants to keep them shorter and bushier. I don't mind a problem if it's a good one.

Keep the comments coming! Love hearing how you're doing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
nick, sounds like you are on your way to another wonderful year. I sure am frustrated this year, but think I am learning a lot and hope for a better next year. I am harvesting tomatoes now, not a lot but some. My cukes look healthy and I am getting a few peppers. Of course mom, dad and kids with those cute little white tails are still a pain in the tail or near the tail. My herbs are the best of all. Now, to add insult to injury the damn squash bugs are in the squash. I have trouble with them every year. I am almost thinking I am not going to plant squash anymore. I can get all we can eat for almost nothing from friends, hubby isn't crazy over it and if I have to buy it from local farmers, it is really cheap.
Nita, thank you for the nice comment. So far, it is an exceptional season and I could NOT be happier. I haven't harvested a ton yet, but if the plants produce the way they're promising, I'll be up to the eaves of my house in tomatoes and peppers (and everything else).

There is no finite way to garden, my friend! Take what you've learned and apply solutions to next season's garden (or this season, if there's time). None of us ever stop learning - what works for me in my garden in my yard may not work for my neighbor in her garden in her yard 30 feet away. My first season was paultry as far as tomatoes. I tried growing them in 5-gallon buckets which just wasn't enough during a VERY hot and dry summer - I couldn't keep them watered thoroughly (the inspiration to construct the self-watering buckets). The peppers on the other hand, did very well, and kicked off my obsession with gardening. All it takes is one crop to do well and then you're hooked!

I think you should grow something else, maybe something new, next season instead of squash. If you can get them in abundance and for cheap, why not? Use that space for something exciting that you've never tried!

Old 06-29-2015, 12:36 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,291,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Nita, thank you for the nice comment. So far, it is an exceptional season and I could NOT be happier. I haven't harvested a ton yet, but if the plants produce the way they're promising, I'll be up to the eaves of my house in tomatoes and peppers (and everything else).

There is no finite way to garden, my friend! Take what you've learned and apply solutions to next season's garden (or this season, if there's time). None of us ever stop learning - what works for me in my garden in my yard may not work for my neighbor in her garden in her yard 30 feet away. My first season was paultry as far as tomatoes. I tried growing them in 5-gallon buckets which just wasn't enough during a VERY hot and dry summer - I couldn't keep them watered thoroughly (the inspiration to construct the self-watering buckets). The peppers on the other hand, did very well, and kicked off my obsession with gardening. All it takes is one crop to do well and then you're hooked!

I think you should grow something else, maybe something new, next season instead of squash. If you can get them in abundance and for cheap, why not? Use that space for something exciting that you've never tried!
Thanks, yes, I am not going to try and fight the darn squash bugs anymore. In TX many years ago I did have trouble with the bores but that isn't my problem now. In NM I had the squash bugs as well, but as I have said, by the time they hit in NM I was glad to feed those bugs the squash. There is so much you can give to neighbors, friends and even enemies. You can resarch all you want, but there are only so many ways to preserve squash. Since we moved here 7 years ago, we have had almost no luck with it. I think I might tear out the squash before long and shoot for a fall veggie.

Oh, I do have a smiley story: I am sure some, on here know about my volunteer cantalope from 2 and 3 years ago. Well last year I had none (thank goodness) I went to check the garden this morning: guess what? It is back. the leaves are climbing up the fense. I wonder if the fruit will be as good, or should I say as awful as in years past?

Old 06-30-2015, 05:05 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,371,134 times
Quote:
Thank you, Non!

Did you get your bean pests under control? What did you use? I don't know how I manage to escape it, but the bad bugs leave my garden alone almost completely - I've not had any bug issues at all this season yet (slugs in the lettuce, but they didn't damage it). I don't know if it's because we have lots of beneficial insects I can't see or what, but I have very few issues with pests. I also inspect everything thoroughly every single day, so maybe my garden omnipresence scares them. Haha, wishful thinking!

Yummy!! I bet you'll get more than a dozen! The beautiful thing about pepper plants is the more you pick, the more you'll get! Keep harvesting them and you'll be overloaded in no time! Recalling to last season, I had one Giant Marconi plant (in a 5-gallon bucket) produce more than 50 peppers and those peppers were enormous. I was fully intent on growing a Cubanelle, but I must've given it away. I had a spot reserved for one in my original plans, but when I went to plant, none were there. That's what I get! Oh well, now I have something to look forward to next season!

Keep me/us posted on how the potatoes do (and the subsequent harvest)! I may try potatoes next season.

Oh no! It sucks the plants busted their supports, but it's also a sign of very healthy and productive plants, it seems! I worry about mine a bit because most of the Earthbox tomatoes are already reaching the tops of the supports and it's not even July. Most of mine only surpassed the top by 5-6" last season, so I'm not really prepared to deal with it. I guess I'll just have to let them flop over the top.. A good problem to have - I'd rather have huge, floppy plants than thin, sickly ones.

Why not?! And, if not, the sky is the limit. Plant whatever you feel like. These Earthboxes are wonderful. I'll keep doing the interminates in the Earthboxes, I'll just use 8' stakes next season instead of the 6' ones I'm using this season. I may also "top" the plants to keep them shorter and bushier. I don't mind a problem if it's a good one.

Keep the comments coming! Love hearing how you're doing!
Thanksk NickMan!

We've been so busy that we keep forgetting to diagnose the beans and pick up bug dust. We're getting harvests, though. I wonder if the difference between your garden and mine is not just location, but the fact that you have full sun and mine is basically on the edge of a 'forest?'

The tomatoes are holding on. Long shot and close shot of the indeterminates here. They're just kinda leaning on that ladder!

Question about peppers: pick 'em green or red? Do they redden off the vine?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks, yes, I am not going to try and fight the darn squash bugs anymore. In TX many years ago I did have trouble with the bores but that isn't my problem now. In NM I had the squash bugs as well, but as I have said, by the time they hit in NM I was glad to feed those bugs the squash. There is so much you can give to neighbors, friends and even enemies. You can resarch all you want, but there are only so many ways to preserve squash. Since we moved here 7 years ago, we have had almost no luck with it. I think I might tear out the squash before long and shoot for a fall veggie.

Oh, I do have a smiley story: I am sure some, on here know about my volunteer cantalope from 2 and 3 years ago. Well last year I had none (thank goodness) I went to check the garden this morning: guess what? It is back. the leaves are climbing up the fense. I wonder if the fruit will be as good, or should I say as awful as in years past?
Yes, squash seems to be one of those veggies that people just get overloaded with toward mid-late summer, especially if someone has more than one plant. I have a few coworkers who sometimes bring in boxes of squash from just a few plants. I love it grilled and sauteed; not really into breads or sweets. I also sometimes grate it and put it into homemade sauce, which is an excellent way to get the nutritional benefits from it without tasting it - but, again, you only need so much..

Yay for cantaloupe! I am growing it for the first time this year and, so far, the plant is doing very well! It's getting close to cascading over the edge of the barrel I planted it in, so we'll see!! I've heard melons like very hot weather, so I hope our summer stays warm!

Old 06-30-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Thanksk NickMan!

We've been so busy that we keep forgetting to diagnose the beans and pick up bug dust. We're getting harvests, though. I wonder if the difference between your garden and mine is not just location, but the fact that you have full sun and mine is basically on the edge of a 'forest?'

The tomatoes are holding on. Long shot and close shot of the indeterminates here. They're just kinda leaning on that ladder!

I guess the shade could be causing issues. I dunno enough about beans to know. Mine definitely get a ton of sun, plus it's in a breezier part of the yard (between our house and our neighbor's), so maybe the bugs have a hard time settling in? Far stretch, I'm sure. At the end of the day, all that matters is that you're still getting beans!

Wow, your tomato plants are huge! And they look very, very healthy! I like your makeshift support, although I imagine it's not ideal. Haha! What varieties are you growing in the EB?

Re peppers, they can be picked at any time. Of course, if they're supposed to be red bell peppers, the idea would be to leave them on the plant until they ripen to red (I've found that even green bell peppers and jalapenos will turn red if left on the plant long enough). Most gardeners would get one good flush of fully ripe peppers, perhaps two if your season is long enough - mine is only long enough for one good flush. I tend to pick many of my peppers green, but in doing so, I am not getting the full flavor of a ripe fruit, which can be dramatically more flavorful. Most green peppers will taste similar without the full sweetness or smokiness of a fully ripe one. Part of the reason I planted 34 plants this year is so that I could still use plenty of fresh green peppers, which I LOVE, but have plenty to leave on the plants to ripen as intended. I have had one or two peppers nearing maturity that turned after I picked them, but in my experience, most peppers will become soft and wrinkled long before ripening off the plant. As with many herbs and veggies, the more you pick, the more you'll get.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:59 AM

83,348 posts, read 74,736,613 times
Quote:

Yup, Peppers will change colors the longer you leave them on the plant. Not sure what kind of peppers you have but Just heads up as they get hotter the more they ripen (hot peppers)

You can pick them anytime though. Sometimes I don't just to make the plant look pretty with all of them colored. But you can pick a green one, try it, then let the next one redden and try that.

I have purple peppers which go from green to yellowish to purple.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,371,134 times
Quote:
I guess the shade could be causing issues. I dunno enough about beans to know. Mine definitely get a ton of sun, plus it's in a breezier part of the yard (between our house and our neighbor's), so maybe the bugs have a hard time settling in? Far stretch, I'm sure. At the end of the day, all that matters is that you're still getting beans!

Wow, your tomato plants are huge! And they look very, very healthy! I like your makeshift support, although I imagine it's not ideal. Haha! What varieties are you growing in the EB?

Re peppers, they can be picked at any time. Of course, if they're supposed to be red bell peppers, the idea would be to leave them on the plant until they ripen to red (I've found that even green bell peppers and jalapenos will turn red if left on the plant long enough). Most gardeners would get one good flush of fully ripe peppers, perhaps two if your season is long enough - mine is only long enough for one good flush. I tend to pick many of my peppers green, but in doing so, I am not getting the full flavor of a ripe fruit, which can be dramatically more flavorful. Most green peppers will taste similar without the full sweetness or smokiness of a fully ripe one. Part of the reason I planted 34 plants this year is so that I could still use plenty of fresh green peppers, which I LOVE, but have plenty to leave on the plants to ripen as intended. I have had one or two peppers nearing maturity that turned after I picked them, but in my experience, most peppers will become soft and wrinkled long before ripening off the plant. As with many herbs and veggies, the more you pick, the more you'll get.

Thanks. We really have a lack of sun, and this is only our second year back to gardening after a ten-year span. We're learning.

I've learned I prefer yellow beans to green; because of the color, it's easier to see them!

The indeterminate tomatoes are both Black type: Black Krim, Black Prince. I have NO idea what color they'll turn, lol.

The single container type tomato is doing okay but I keep forgetting its name.

The pepper plant is a Cubanelle and I admit to picking a small green one today. I just wanted it! Before this, there was one fruit, we picked it green, now blossoms and fruits are popping up all over.

Just picked some more beans this minute! Didn't want the Cubanelle to feel lonely.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:01 AM

83,348 posts, read 74,736,613 times
Quote:
The indeterminate tomatoes are both Black type: Black Krim, Black Prince. I have NO idea what color they'll turn, lol.
lol. You can always do a Google search to see.

Here's a picture of mine from 8/13/13. I'm not a big fan of the Krim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Saving some seeds today from these 4 tomatoes.

Black Krim very juicy inside and dark, grows larger than a tennis ball. Not great for sandwich's because it's so juicy but taste is awesome. Maybe good with a Burger?

Farmstand Hybrid is too dry inside but the size is perfect for a Tomato. Lots of yeilds.

Rutgers is awesome. I noticed sizes vary on the plant. Taste is great. Easy to slice.

Campari looks like cherries but they are double the size of a Cherry tomato. Lots of yeilds and quick to ripe.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:05 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,988,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol. You can always do a Google search to see.

Here's a picture of mine from 8/13/13. I'm not a big fan of the Krim.
hey there camparis always did well for me in the ground and they tasted so good vine ripened .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden