Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 11:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times

Advertisements

Plants Delight Nursery is about 45 minutes from me and he has open house several times a year and a wonderful catalogue. He has so many beautiful hostas. You can roam up and down the rows in greenhouses and the varieties are so interesting and diverse. Now that I have my 7 ft anti deer fence in the back yard I will go soon to get some more to go with the dozen varieties I already have.
6 lessons about hosta, with tony avent - A Way To Garden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 11:17 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Sounds heavenly.

My husband says no more hosta for our little lot. I have two dozen or more varieties.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sounds heavenly.

My husband says no more hosta for our little lot. I have two dozen or more varieties.
Same here, all across the front of the house, 3' deep where the sun never shines. We have more trouble with the rabbits than the deer, though I do sometimes surprise one when I go out in the morning. I have found that the blue, stiffer leaved varieties are not bothered as much by the creatures. Maybe the "wax" he mentions in the article bothers them.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:43 PM

5 posts, read 6,999 times
Hi, don't worry there are many ways to keep Deer away from hostas.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:47 AM

yeah and I've tried them all. Short of spraying every other day (and even then you have to change sprays regularly) the only real sustainable way to keep deer at bay is a 7ft fence. And even then some try to get over or through it.

When I say I've tried them all here is a partial list
Zest soap
hair
urine
commercial sprays
homemade sprays
double fences
pinecones and sweet gum balls in the bed
rabbit fencing down on the ground in the beds
bull horns to scar them away
guard dog
guard cat
you name it we've tried it. Maybe our deer are more aggressive than others but i finally got satisfaction with a 7 ft deer fence fore a few thousand $$$$$$

Old 01-22-2015, 08:55 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,949,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
yeah and I've tried them all. Short of spraying every other day (and even then you have to change sprays regularly) the only real sustainable way to keep deer at bay is a 7ft fence. And even then some try to get over or through it.
Yeah, I put extra lines across the top of my fence and found six feet was enough because there was no easy way for them to get a run at it... and now it makes the neighbors property and easier choice for them.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 PM

5 posts, read 6,999 times
Have you try this?

Deer Scram
Liquid Fence
Plantskydd
Human hair
Noise and/or light deterrents

Old 01-23-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvina View Post
Have you try this?

Deer Scram
Liquid Fence
Plantskydd
Human hair
Noise and/or light deterrents
Did you read my post?
When I say I tried it all I mean I TRIED IT ALL and I have the receipts to prove it. Sure all those products work for awhile but eventually it becomes impractical to re apply every 2 or 3 days and it gets expensive. A woman here in Chapel Hill has a line of products called I Must Garden and her spray worked for a short time too. I got my husband and son to pee all over the place in cover of night. I got bags of hair from my beautician. I got a motion detector which sprayed water. The UPS man was not amused.
I trained my kids to use air horns to run them off if they saw them while playing outside. After awhile they would just look at us and ignore us. We have very determined deer. And they are very smart as well. After all, this is a college town.

About the only suggestion I didn't use was placing tin pie plates suspended from trees or lines around my beds. I didn't think the HOA would appreciate that. And it probably wouldn't have worked anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden