Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 11:48 PM

5 posts, read 3,979 times

Advertisements

Hi All...........

Pruning is a horticultural and silvicultural practice involving the selective removal of parts of a plant, such as branches, buds, or roots. Recently my garden become so taccey. I hired a tree arborist and they provided me an excellent service.

Thanks

Last edited by Rance; 02-07-2015 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 10:31 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
I am inclined to believe that plants do not need to be pruned but people want plants to be pruned to suit their desires.

There may be some hybrid species that no longer have a natural form but for the most part plants do well in nature without pruning other than natural dropping of portions when needed in weather or seasons.

I do prune plants on my property to get the form I like but it is for me, not for the plants. Almost anytime I have plants that are in my way or obstruct the line of sight I want, I change them... for my mental health, not the plant health.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:16 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Personally, I'm not sure if pruning makes the plants grow stronger, but it's a good method for removing diseased branches, deadwood, opening up the interior of the tree for more sunlight, etc. There's also the bonsai option. That's a lot of pruning.

Many folks prune regularly to shape the plant's growth or to increase fruit production and such. There's also pruning them into fun shapes such as topiary.

You don't really need to hire a tree service, though, most of this can be learned and done yourself unless it's on a really large tree. Then getting someone who is specialized (as well as insured) might be a good idea so heavy tree limbs won't end up on your house or your car.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:13 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
I live in a neighborhood that is now 10 years old. When we moved in, all the trees were just planted and on average, under 15' tall. I prune lower branches every June after new growth has occurred. I want them to grow up, not out at the bottom, blocking the sidewalk and street. But many people have never touched theirs, so you have to duck walking down the sidewalk. Very annoying! If you never prune them, they can end up looking like a huge bush, rather than a tree.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:24 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I am inclined to believe that plants do not need to be pruned but people want plants to be pruned to suit their desires.

There may be some hybrid species that no longer have a natural form but for the most part plants do well in nature without pruning other than natural dropping of portions when needed in weather or seasons.

I do prune plants on my property to get the form I like but it is for me, not for the plants. Almost anytime I have plants that are in my way or obstruct the line of sight I want, I change them... for my mental health, not the plant health.
Some trees are prone to developing double leaders and narrow crotch angles (especially maples and elms). They may last 100 years like that, but they're also more likely to split in half in a storm, which starts the decay process. I've even had to prune out double leaders on young oaks to get them started growing straight.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I've been carefully pruning trees since I moved in here. I actually had one tree removed. But our dogwood which was sulking, got lots of fertilizer the first spring I was here, and I pruned it to a nice shape. It has loads of buds this year, and I expect full bloomage. (Although I understand that dogwood blossoms are not actual flowers. But you know what I mean.)

We bought a red stemmed maple, and I've been selectively pruning it. I want the nice vase shape, with no cross branches. I look at it for awhile before taking the shears to it, but you have to prune these into a coherent shape. I don't care for trees pruned into balls; I like a naturalistic shape obtained with pruning.

I am a bit puzzled by my camelia though. I took out a branch that ran up through the center of the tree, and the following year it did not bloom. Too much pruning? I don't know.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:51 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It can be beneficial. If you look at coppice woods, some of the trees are hundreds of years older than the average lifespan when allowed to grow naturally. Likewise, in areas with heavy wind or snow where trees are 'pruned' by weather, the trees can also live much longer due to constant regrowth. For many species the extra stimulation from pruning creates 'younger' growth both in the branches and roots.

Whether it's "needed" is a matter of opinion. If time and money is invested in the tree and it's near a structure or something else that would be damaged if it falls, pruning can be the best way to keep it functional for the longest time.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:05 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times
I like to prune out cross-branches, suckers - the ones that shoot straight up and doesn't look like they belong to the tree at all, and anything that gets too close to the house.

Previously owner never pruned anything so little trees that the builders planted next to the house are now too big and too close to the siding. I'll have to cut off some branches that are now 3 inch in diameter to create more clearance to the house. If the branches were pruned when the tree was much smaller, it would've been kept in check better.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:16 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Selective tree pruning done correctly improves aesthetics, sturdiness and wind resistance/damage. With fruiting trees it improves the quality/size of fruit production.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:55 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,837 times
Humans are so much better at managing nature than nature itself, aren't they? Like trees planted near homes or homes built close to trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden