Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:56 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
A humane trap that will submerge into in a deep tub.

Problem solved.
What a horrible suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 09:02 AM

672 posts, read 789,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
A live trap that you can buy at the Tractor Store or other animal feed store. Take them out for a LONG drive and release them into a forested area. Drowning them is just plain cruel IMO.
Check your state's laws about trapping and relocating wildlife before you do this, because, well, just say for instance someone decided to do this very thing in the state of Illinois, and they were caught doing this, it would be punishable by a fine of up to $1000.00.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
anybody else have more suggestions. I am so ready for spring.

Gardening Club - Gardening & Landscaping Ideas, Tips, Forums - Scout Front Page

Peppermint oil is said to get rid of mice and rats and may work on squirrels too. I have also read that spiders and roaches do not like it either. It smells nice to humans .

http://www.ehow.com/how_6038747_repe...rmint-oil.html

Old 02-05-2015, 03:47 AM

94 posts, read 160,315 times
In my childhood I like to play with squirrels in our garden area but I can grab them, well they are so active. Now after marriage I don't like squirrels at all because they mess my garden area, I think I have to remove food source from my garden area or call to paste control.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:51 AM

211 posts, read 301,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
What a horrible suggestion.
Actually, that's the most humane way to kill squirrels. Due to their high metabolism, they drown within seconds. They're just rats with fur, anyway. I hate them for raiding my vegetable garden.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:54 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athithi View Post
Actually, that's the most humane way to kill squirrels. Due to their high metabolism, they drown within seconds. They're just rats with fur, anyway. I hate them for raiding my vegetable garden.
I agree. They are territorial. Take them out into a place far from their area and they'll starve trying to establish a new 'home' with a food source.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:54 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athithi View Post
If you kill fifty they will invite one hundred to the funerals! Eliminating the food source is the only way to eliminate the squirrels. The problem is that your neighbors will feed the squirrels when you stop feeding your wild birds.

The only thing that cuts their numbers down is our fall hawk migration.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:49 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
You can't get rid of squirrels any more than you can get rid of birds. Give up. You can reduce their populations on your property by not having any food sources or places for them to climb and nest, but that's about it. If you have trees, you will have squirrels. Cayenne pepper has never deterred them from my bird feeders, so putting it all over your garden cewrtainly won't help.

We live in a semi-rural area of Kansas on three acres, and we have a very large park-like garden. Funny enough, in our eight years here, we have seen squirrels in surrounding wooded areas, but never on our own property. Why is that? Because every one of our trees was planted by us, and they are all still too small to be attractive to squirrels. We expect to find some here in about five years.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:27 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
As a neighbor said,which is true,a bushy tailed rat!!A real pain when feeding birds,placed some dried meal worms in hole for woodpecker,the squirrel ate them!!

Old 02-05-2015, 09:35 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I guess, if you have to get rid of the food source is to get rid of the oak and walnut trees and that would leave our backyard bare. Don't believe I want to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden