Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
anybody else have more suggestions. I am so ready for spring.

Gardening Club - Gardening & Landscaping Ideas, Tips, Forums - Scout Front Page
What problems are they causing you?
I used to have a few of them around my bird feeder,after trying everything to get rid of them i finally gave up and accepted the fact that they are also part of the garden scene and earned and deserved that paltry handful of birdseed they so ingeniously got every time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 12:41 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I can see people being irritated with squirrels getting into attics and making a mess, or squirrels eating vegetables out of a garden, but what's wrong with having them at a bird feeder? They get hungry too. Our three squirrels and about four species of birds at our cottage take turns getting the seeds from our two feeders. I find them just as interesting and fun to watch as the birds. They squabble and fight with each other and chase each other from branch to branch. That's nature.
LOL, well that gets to be pretty expensive! Before I got a baffle that deterred them, I thought they'd eat me out of house and home. The birds go through see fast enough, but wow -- squirrels are voracious eaters!

Old 02-20-2015, 07:24 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,922 times
Option #1: Get a 5 gallon bucket, fill it about 1/3 full of water, cover the top of the water with sunflower seeds (they float), and put a wood ramp up the side of the bucket. Squirrels will jump in and drown. Very easy.

Option #2: Pump pellet rifle with pointed pellets that kill them. Somewhat easy.

Option #3: Get a live trap and relocate them miles away. This is the hardest option because squirrels are often too smart for traps. I've caught a few of them with peanut butter and relocated them because I don't own a BB gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
To all the squirrel haters out there: LIVE & LET LIVE. This world belongs to all of us - and that includes squirrels. Learn to co-exist.
Are you a vegan?

Old 02-20-2015, 07:37 PM

460 posts, read 1,004,259 times
Why not give the squirrels something too, like leave food for them in a place outside the garden, so they can eat that, and not venture into your garden? I think it hypocritical to harm certain forms of nature so you can nurture the forms of nature that suit your needs.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:36 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
Why not give the squirrels something too, like leave food for them in a place outside the garden, so they can eat that, breed, and create more squirrels and not venture into your garden (yeah right)? I think it hypocritical to harm certain forms of nature so you can nurture the forms of nature that suit your needs.
Fixed it for you.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,766,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Dogs and cats are natural predators of squirrels. Maybe spreading some used litter or dog poop in the vicinity of the garden would work?

Or maybe some sort of tent-like mesh?

Do squirrels learn very well? If you used some sort of averse method, like one of those motion sensors that squirts water, that might work.
Squirrels are cute! And funny! And fun to watch.

About the dog poop...being that it is winter, my yard has more dog poop piles, since I do not scoop when it's super cold like it's been. The squirrels play hop scotch among the piles. So I don't think spreading dog poop around would help deter squirrels....

Last summer, I was sitting in a chair on my deck, with my dog sitting next to me. Suddenly, a squirrel jumped up right next to us! I still don't know who was more surprised...the squirrel, me, or my dog! We all stared at each other for probably a full 5 seconds before the squirrel ran, the dog ran down, and I went, "Holy Sheeeehit!"

My cats enjoy sitting on their cat tree and watching the squirrels frolic.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:11 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,766,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
Why not give the squirrels something too, like leave food for them in a place outside the garden, so they can eat that, and not venture into your garden? I think it hypocritical to harm certain forms of nature so you can nurture the forms of nature that suit your needs.
Squirrels often eat garden produce because they are thirsty. Provide a clean water source for them, and they will more than likely leave your garden produce alone. It worked for me!

Old 02-20-2015, 10:45 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
My neighbor trapped all of the squirrels on our block and released them in Prospect Park. Apart from being unsure about whether my neighbor's actions were legal, I'm sure the park squirrels didn't like the new company

Old 02-21-2015, 12:02 AM

52 posts, read 125,681 times
Living in the woods next to a large wooded city park, I had 15 squirrels eating at my bird feeders last summer, a record number. Even they eat less than the herd of deer that come, licking the seed right out of the several squirrel proof feeders. I just increased my supply of birdseed as I often have 5-8 cardinals eating every day at the feeders. I figured it was really cheaper to add more bird food every other day than the time, trouble and expense of trying to get rid of the squirrels, which I really don't mind, and the deer, which I do mind but can really can only scare off or try to limit their feed.

Just accept the animals, watch and enjoy them, as I have a couple of squirrels that get right up next to me when I throw some bird food on the ground for them. They are less afraid of me than more willing to be the first to eat.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:23 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorcyfan View Post
Living in the woods next to a large wooded city park, I had 15 squirrels eating at my bird feeders last summer, a record number. Even they eat less than the herd of deer that come, licking the seed right out of the several squirrel proof feeders. I just increased my supply of birdseed as I often have 5-8 cardinals eating every day at the feeders. I figured it was really cheaper to add more bird food every other day than the time, trouble and expense of trying to get rid of the squirrels, which I really don't mind, and the deer, which I do mind but can really can only scare off or try to limit their feed.

Just accept the animals, watch and enjoy them, as I have a couple of squirrels that get right up next to me when I throw some bird food on the ground for them. They are less afraid of me than more willing to be the first to eat.
What you are doing belongs in the "Nature" forum and not in the "Garden" forum. When animals have an abundance of food they multiply. That is what nature does (you know the saying; Nature abhors a vacuum). It isn't only that they breed faster; other animals will also find your 'man made' abundance. Of course your actions are contradictory of the neighboring gardeners. You lured deer, squirrels and birds into the proximity of their gardens.

Here is one article that should interest you: What Causes Lyme Disease? | Bay Area Lyme Foundation. From that article: " In California, the grey squirrel is the biggest culprit. For example, studies have shown that 86% of tick larvae carrying Borrelia burgdorferi (Bb) were infected by the western grey squirrel. (Salkeld et al, 2008)". So now let's pretend that you don't come down with Lyme disease; but your neighbor does while they garden. Lyme disease can be debilitating for life. Let's say that your neighbor blames you for their condition; should they have the right to sue you for pain and suffering? I think that a good lawyer could make a great case with articles like the one in that link. Possibly you could end up feeding and caring for the neighbors for their lifetime? It is a hard call and it might not go down like that - but it is something to think about. Are we our brother's keeper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden