Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:02 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times

Advertisements

I have not tried this personally because I'm an early morning/dusk gardener myself, but what about those popup shelters that you frequently see at outdoor craft/street fairs or at football game tailgating? They're lightweight so you could move them along. They're about 10 feet along each side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 04:57 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I have not tried this personally because I'm an early morning/dusk gardener myself, but what about those popup shelters that you frequently see at outdoor craft/street fairs or at football game tailgating? They're lightweight so you could move them along. They're about 10 feet along each side.
Those you speak of are tied down with sand bags or other anchoring device. Without them being anchored they will be too easy for the wind to blow them over or away. I doubt that they would be easy to maneuver in a gardening situation.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:50 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
I say embrace the sun and think of it as getting your vitamin D.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I say embrace the sun and think of it as getting your vitamin D.
And your skin cancer. Light skinned blue eyed people are highly susceptible to skin cancer when exposed to the sun for any length of time.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
And your skin cancer. Light skinned blue eyed people are highly susceptible to skin cancer when exposed to the sun for any length of time.
People in the north are also known to have a chronic Vitamin D shortage.

I'll address my vitamin deficit first.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
People in the north are also known to have a chronic Vitamin D shortage.

I'll address my vitamin deficit first.
I seriously doubt that and you can take vitamin supplement for any deficiency, not cancer.

http://www.jamesmfoxmd.com/signup/Sy...etter06-07.pdf

Old 02-22-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I seriously doubt that and you can take vitamin supplement for any deficiency, not cancer.

http://www.jamesmfoxmd.com/signup/Sy...etter06-07.pdf
You seriously doubt northern population has a vitamin D deficiency?

Good Question: Can We Get Enough Vitamin D From The Sun? « CBS Minnesota

Quote:
One vitamin often mentioned as a way to help fight cancer is vitamin D. We know sunshine is the key to D.
Quote:
The sun’s angle in a Minnesota winter is too low. It doesn’t hit the skin the right way to stimulate vitamin D. The doctor researched Allina Health employees.
Sixty percent had low vitamin D levels.
Thirty percent extremely low.
And 6 percent were profoundly low.
“So if it’s true for health professionals, it’s likely true for other people as well,” Plotnikoff said.
I take 6000 IU Vitamin D3 in the winter months ( as recommended by my doctor!). In the summer months, I am outside, with my body making its own vitamin D, as nature is designed to do.

I do not live in fear of skin cancer.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...gardening in the sun.

I do not like to garden in the early morning hours, because the mosquitos are killer then. Mosquitos carry and transmit diseases. Besides, I am generally getting ready for work in the morning anyway. Weekend mornings are for catching up on sleep. So I pull my weeds in the afternoon.

Last edited by PeachSalsa; 02-22-2015 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: clarified

Old 02-22-2015, 06:52 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
Quote:
Those you speak of are tied down with sand bags or other anchoring device. Without them being anchored they will be too easy for the wind to blow them over or away. I doubt that they would be easy to maneuver in a gardening situation.
It depends on how they are made. A department store 1 - 2" PVC frame with 4 hole brackets on the bottom would be lightweight and easy to maneuver. 4 garden nails and a hammer/mallet to drive them in at an angle should withstand a daily breeze and provide shade. You could alternately attach bungee cords to the frame and using the garden nails as stakes then the canopy will bob around in the breeze but not necessarily find itself destroyed by any sudden gusts.

Its an additional chore to pull up the nails and reposition the bulky canopy then resecure it again, but its doable if even early morning sun exposure is an issue for someone. It might be a bit much for someone that is just fine with a regular wide brim hat in the early morning hours. There is always sunblock too.

Ive heard that the bandana like frozen neckerchief is terrific. You might want to get a few depending on how long you expect the work to last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden