U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 11:52 AM

74,299 posts, read 57,679,935 times

Advertisements

Just so I remember in the future... I added this today around all the plants except the root crops.

Organic Blood Meal. Nitrogen source.

I wont even mix it in. Just going to let it seep down with water.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 04:44 PM

205 posts, read 243,941 times
A great day in NC watching the garden grow!
Attached Thumbnails
My Veggie Garden 2015 (Pics)-image.jpg  

Old 05-15-2015, 06:21 PM

7,986 posts, read 6,221,192 times
What I picked today:

Old 05-15-2015, 07:39 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,203,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotsdamBear83 View Post

WOW. Lookin good.

My tomatoes look pretty good too, with alot of flowers, but the flower is dying b4 bearing the fruit.

Same w/my guta plant.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Isn't it a great feeling? Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
What I picked today:
Nice!

-----------------------

After 3 weeks of no rain, we're getting rain finally. First time with leaves on the trees.

I just added crushed egg shells into the pots (Bell Peppers/Eggplants) and the left 2 rows of Tomatoes. I'm curious if I see any noticeable results. Only 4 Eggs so maybe it wasn't enough

Old 05-16-2015, 07:20 AM

8,210 posts, read 12,462,640 times
I'm in SW Ohio and have just signed up for a community garden plot (apt dweller).

Looking at your bed width which I will be trying to size this weekend. If I remember right don't most tomato plant sticks (the ones in the pots) say plant 18" apart? Is that right?
I see you have yours side by side with a few inches border on either side so your beds are.....4'? Do you measure? Are some of your beds different widths?

Old 05-16-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm in SW Ohio and have just signed up for a community garden plot (apt dweller).

Looking at your bed width which I will be trying to size this weekend. If I remember right don't most tomato plant sticks (the ones in the pots) say plant 18" apart? Is that right?
I see you have yours side by side with a few inches border on either side so your beds are.....4'? Do you measure? Are some of your beds different widths?
Who are you asking? PotsdamBear83??

I don't have any Tomatoes in Pots (they never do as well). I have them spaced about 15-20" apart in the Bed. If they get too bunched I do a little pruning to allow airflow.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:53 AM

Future soil for the garden.

Turning the compost pile in my backyard was a great workout, Just wish the Dewpoint wasnt 61°.

You treasure the days you can do things outside without this crappy un-fresh like air. Muggy is the norm here.

Lots of worms in there. mostly underneath which is why you need to turn. Also don't want the leaves to get matted.

Done. Next turn should be July maybe August. No odor is why I love keeping it out in the open like this. Only smelt a little (not bad) at the bottom but went away after it was turned.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:00 AM

205 posts, read 243,941 times
Boy Cambian, I wish I had that much space for compost. I have a real weed issue in my beds at the moment, so I'm planning on running my pile through the shredder again and use it as a mulch. It's 3 months old and black. It's still got some heat, but I've turned it multiple times and the heat is starting to cool. Time to start a new pile!

Old 05-17-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Boy Cambian, I wish I had that much space for compost. I have a real weed issue in my beds at the moment, so I'm planning on running my pile through the shredder again and use it as a mulch. It's 3 months old and black. It's still got some heat, but I've turned it multiple times and the heat is starting to cool. Time to start a new pile!
Cool you got a shredder! Yeah, one of the reasons to turn a compost pile is to make sure it doesn't heat up too much where it's killing the good bugs and bacteria. heat is good, but not too much. After you turn it and oxygen goes into it, it will warm back up.

I hate weeding especially in warm seasons. If you can remember, in the fall after the garden is done, just lay cardboard down in the area. You'll have much less and probably no weeds in the spring time when its time to till again.

Cups have been washed and after they dry will get put away until next March. . Routine, Routine.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden