U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 03:03 PM

75,388 posts, read 58,972,766 times

Advertisements

Just in case you guys didn't see it....

Warm and Dry May this year VS Cold and Wet last year made a huge comparison difference with the Peppers.

May weather is more crucial than we think. It's more important than June

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 06:18 PM

Guess what I did today...

Here's the brine mix you put into the jars.
6 Cups water
2 Cups White distilled vinegar
1/3 cup of Non Iodized Salt
2 Table Spoons of Dill
10 Black Pepper Corns
Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Set aside and let cool completely before putting them into the jars.

The set-up. Jars, Cukes, Garlic, Fresh Dill, Black Pepper corns

Slice the cukes and start loading the jar
5 Garlic Cloves. 5 Pepper corns. Fresh Dill.

I had the lids in hot water to disinfect. Put the lids on, snug the ring (not tight!)
Put the left over brine into a Tupperware put in fridge.
Get ready to give the jars a bath.

Bath time

Old 06-27-2015, 05:44 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,526,832 times
I love homemade pickles! Will you marry me!?

Old 06-28-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I love homemade pickles! Will you marry me!?
LOL. Are you a female? lol Yeah, you can't beat the taste, the recipe I found was excellent so I'm sticking to it. Will last a few years in the pantry closet.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:01 PM

June 28, 2015. Another 1.7" of rain. At 6" for the month. Haven't watered the garden since May still. Sunny days have been limited.

Thought I take advantage of this fall day. (2nd day in a row staying in the 60s with clouds)

Before..... Tomato plants look awesome, right? No. Too full. No airflow, bottom leaves to close to soil.

After ..... You can even see the Tomatoes now and the plants have better air flow and up of the dirt. Less risk of disease.

Pruned a lot, even some tall suckers that had little tomatoes on them. Had to be done in fact you can see some leaves were turning yellow and spotty.

So cool when the entire stem has fruit. Sucks when they don't all ripen at same time. First 2 always end up too soft.

First Fava Bean Harvest ever.

Mmmmmmm

Old 07-01-2015, 08:40 AM

June 2015 ended cooler than normal and wetter than normal.

This morning VERY heavy rains fell once again with Lightning and Thunder.

It's looking, sounding and smelling like a Jungle outside. Very tropical without the heat. Amazing how we were in the Arctic here just 2 months ago.

Taking advantage of pulling weeds after VERY heavy rain this morning and cool air!

Can you see the Sweet Bell Peppers? There's at least 2 in this picture. I will let them turn colors but peppers can be eaten anytime

Can't wait till all the Onions are ready (couple weeks). Pulled 2 Yellow ones since their stems have been down for a week plus I was curious..

Last night I was in the mood for String Beans so I stepped into the backyard, picked them, and cooked.

So fresh tasting!

A pic from my roof cam facing West

Last edited by Cambium; 07-01-2015 at 08:49 AM..

Old 07-02-2015, 11:58 AM

July 2, 2015 early harvest. Couple of Fava Beans, Cukes, 2 Yellow onions, Red Potatoes, & an over grown Radish. I could of put hot peppers in here but I'm leaving them on the plant still.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:14 PM

14,785 posts, read 20,904,497 times
awesome my dear just awesome . Kudos to you for getting anything considering the weather . I don't know how farmers back in the 1800s fed a family on a garden I really don't . Anyways keep up the good work.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:21 PM

10,762 posts, read 10,531,702 times
Share how your prepare your daily harvest -- like sautee or add to xyz dish, etc. I know the cukes get pickled. Enquiring minds want to see what other dishes/recipes you make.

I assume farmers back in the day had much bigger gardens for feeding their own families since they tended to have lots of mouths to feed (and then possibly more hands to help work the farms).

And... may I ask... what kind of cameras do you have for your garden and atop your home? I was watching the timelapse you posted of the momma bunny. Must be a wireless cam of some kind, yes?

Old 07-02-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
awesome my dear just awesome . Kudos to you for getting anything considering the weather . I don't know how farmers back in the 1800s fed a family on a garden I really don't . Anyways keep up the good work.
Thanks.. yeah.. Good May weather makes all the difference. Still haven't needed to water since May. That's crazy. I don't know how farmers did it. Must of been tough without technology that can help us prepare for the weather now a days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Share how your prepare your daily harvest -- like sautee or add to xyz dish, etc. I know the cukes get pickled. Enquiring minds want to see what other dishes/recipes you make.
Sorry...I grow.. I don't cook. I'm basic with cooking as I posted above.. I only grow what we can eat but I don't cook what I grow. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
And... may I ask... what kind of cameras do you have for your garden and atop your home? I was watching the timelapse you posted of the momma bunny. Must be a wireless cam of some kind, yes?
I have several cameras and not sure exactly which you're referring to. I don't remember posting a time lapse of the bunnies.

The Timelapse camera I have is this.
The Roof cam is a webcam.
The still photos are with a Nikkon Camera.
The video above is with my Samsung Galaxy 5S cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden