Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 08:54 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Couple more... Another bright sunny day here. 2 in a row. Maybe things are changing now.

I'll be pulling onions today. Will post pics later. Few of them are ready now. Ones on the right are Huge! Yellow Spanish Onions.

Close-up. Another couple weeks for these.

Now, compare the other 2 rows to these. More sunlight and Straw for mulch. Huge difference! I believe I added fresh compost to these too and not the others.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 06:03 AM

July 12, 2015. Onions harvested, I left a few in the ground since the stems are still standing..

They are not as big as last year. Probably because of too much rain, too little sun this year. Amazing how each yr varies because of the weather/soil conditions. Plus I rotated the crop this year.

I love planting Onions. Easy and fun to harvest and stores good for long time. I did away with my strawberry patch to make room for Root crops.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:46 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
I really enjoy your pictures and commentary. Gives me a lot of ideas. Right now my garden is "baking" in the florida sun, so nothing really growing now, but Im planning for September planting. Love your stepping stones. I was thinking of making raised beds, but I like this idea better.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I really enjoy your pictures and commentary. Gives me a lot of ideas. Right now my garden is "baking" in the florida sun, so nothing really growing now, but Im planning for September planting. Love your stepping stones. I was thinking of making raised beds, but I like this idea better.
Thanks! That's my main path which is nice when its wet to walk around the garden on. Cardboard underneath holding the weeds well but now its deteriorating (lots of rain) and some weeds are finding their way through. You can always put mulch in between. Not rocks since those are a gardens enemy!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:47 AM

18,074 posts, read 15,658,847 times
I love this thread too and have read every post from the beginning. I'm living vicariously as I don't have a garden, just trying to grow some landscaping plants.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I love this thread too and have read every post from the beginning. I'm living vicariously as I don't have a garden, just trying to grow some landscaping plants.
Thanks! I appreciate sharing everything with you guys.

Don't laugh.. 1st time. This is one sad looking Onion braid. lol!

Old 07-12-2015, 02:59 PM

I did that with my onions last year. Made a really long one, about 3 feet long. I hung it up in my kitchen and just cut off the onions from the bottom as I used them.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:14 PM

Cant wait to start the fall garden. Cant start seeds too soon, tho. Ill probably start Aug. 1.

This was the first year I tried the bio dome from Parks. I dont plants lots and lots of plants, but I like to try different varieties, so Ill try and good a good plant from each variety. I used the bio dome this year, and darned if I didnt get nearly 100% germination. I even tried some 5 year old pepper seeds, and they sprouted. I ended up giving some plants away, since I had more than I needed. I think next month Ill just plant one seed per variety, since I had such good germination, and save some seeds for next year.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:00 PM

My Onion harvest this past week. 33 Red, 21 White & 23 Yellow.. Couple left in the ground still. (less than 10)

They are fun to grow. Stopped doing Strawberries and started onions.

Last year had bigger onions. Weather played a big role this year. Little sun and too much rain.

Even though you can eat them right now, They will cure for couple weeks.

Look nice in the basket.

Had blight issues on the Tomatoes but been picking some ripe ones now. Cucumbers are crazy healthy and producing yields.

I just keep pickling them. Got 15 jars so far.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:48 PM

I dont like cucumbers, but I bet those pickles are good! What particular recipe do you use?

I can't wait to get onions in the ground. Since Im so far south, I have to get the short-day variety. Ill be able to plant them in October. Cant wait, I love them. I think Ill try garlic this year, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden