U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 07:56 PM

205 posts, read 245,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
My Onion harvest this past week. 33 Red, 21 White & 23 Yellow.. Couple left in the ground still. (less than 10)

They are fun to grow. Stopped doing Strawberries and started onions.

Last year had bigger onions. Weather played a big role this year. Little sun and too much rain.

Even though you can eat them right now, They will cure for couple weeks.

Look nice in the basket.

Had blight issues on the Tomatoes but been picking some ripe ones now. Cucumbers are crazy healthy and producing yields.

I just keep pickling them. Got 15 jars so far.
Cam, I picked my red onions a month ago and we just tried one...yum. I do have a question though. I planted my onions in the fall last year. I got some nice size bulbs this year. I can't seem to get the bulbs in the same season I plant them. Maybe it's my zone, I don't know. Any ideas?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 08:01 PM

4,618 posts, read 3,913,247 times
You might be planting the wrong kind of onions. This website has lots of good info on onions:

Dixondale Farms, Onion Plants Since 1913 - Long-Day Varieties

Old 07-23-2015, 05:39 AM

75,315 posts, read 58,885,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotsdamBear83 View Post
Cam, I picked my red onions a month ago and we just tried one...yum. I do have a question though. I planted my onions in the fall last year. I got some nice size bulbs this year. I can't seem to get the bulbs in the same season I plant them. Maybe it's my zone, I don't know. Any ideas?
Hmmm. The only thing I know to plant in the Fall (November) is Garlic. I plant my onion sets/bulbs in the Spring. I don't see why you cant get them to grow the same season unless like carnivalday said, they are the wrong ones? Your last frost is in April so if you get them in April, they will have been grown by Summer. I'm actually surprised your survived the winter.

I did find out that the sets I buy is only good for planting the same year. They wont be good if saved for next year..

These are the ones I buy. And the Yellows.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:52 PM

July 23 Harvest

Lettuce, Kale, Beets, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Peppers. Garden Fresh. No crap wax or preservatives on them.

Pretty crazy I was able to pull some weeds and dig up the Potatoes IN THE SUN today.. Amazingly, Strangely, and below normally DRY day.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:59 AM

Another Amazing perfect coolish dry morning for pulling weeds which started to take over.
Soil getting "dusty" again but I don't want anymore rain. We had enough.

Bucket of weeds in 20 minutes. Where do I put them?

Dropped onto the compost pile, eventually all mixed in when I turn it...
Grabbed the compost dirt from underneath and put into the bucket.... All kitchen scrap (banana peels, Watermelon, chicken bones, lobster scrap, ect. ect.

Compost dirt onto the garden bed. Fresh organic food for the crops.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:22 AM

First note 2 things... Neglect (weeds) and this bed is under the trees..

Weeds closeup

Simply amazing how it looks without weeds. Now time to dig for the Potatoes.

See where the bed is located? gets about 3 hours of afternoon sun. Who said small potatoes can't grow in shade?

It's like excavating for Dinosaur bones. Have to be very careful not to cut the Potato. Minor cuts will heal.

Soil is very dusty. No rain in 1 week

Ta Da. 53 of them.

Red & Yellow Done. Until next year.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:35 AM

Don't forget... Over the winter if you have Potatoes in your closet forming the Eyes or stems.. just put those aside in a cool dark place and then in the Spring, cut them in half and put them in the dirt. You will get a Potato plant. In fact I've had plants growing in my compost pile from throwing no good potatoes in there.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,595,940 times
Last summer would have been a great summer for doing vegetables here on the cool, far north coast of California, hardly any fog and record breaking heat. This summer has been mild, not too cool, not hot though, I have declared it a cucumber summer because my cukes have gone bonkers. We have been eating lettuce at least five nights a week, getting tomatoes out of the hothouse, carrots and zucchini a few nights a week, shelled peas are next and the beans are not far behind. The zucchini plants are on a large 5 cubic yard compost heap with jack o lantern and giant pumpkins. I picked 39 cucumbers over two days from just five plants that are about 3 feet tall, did my first dill pickles this morning, got 7 quarts.
Attached Thumbnails
My Veggie Garden 2015 (Pics)-img_0843.jpg   My Veggie Garden 2015 (Pics)-img_9702.jpg   My Veggie Garden 2015 (Pics)-img_9699.jpg   My Veggie Garden 2015 (Pics)-img_0844.jpg   My Veggie Garden 2015 (Pics)-img_0859.jpg  

Old 07-26-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I have declared it a cucumber summer because my cukes have gone bonkers.

. I picked 39 cucumbers over two days from just five plants that are about 3 feet tall, did my first dill pickles this morning, got 7 quarts.
NICE! Ironically I been telling everyone the same thing. This year is amazing for my Cukes. In my 10 yrs of gardening, this one is the best. No beetles which is pretty scary. I planted some Radish around them which supposed to deter beetles. I wonder if that did the trick. Fresh compost maybe helped with the health and the Warm May and wet June too.

I noticed you don't have anything in the Pickle Jars except the fresh Dill.. I put Garlic & Black Pepper Corn in as well. And What did you use for the Brine? I love the look of full pickles in there. You could of stuffed the jar a little more. :-)

I have 2 rows of 8 plants. Bees are loving the constant blooms.

The leaves are so healthy and some getting bigger than I ever seen.

Straight 8.
Hybrid II
National Pickling is pretty much all I have growing

What I been doing with the extras. Another batch yesterday

Mmmmmmm!

Old 07-26-2015, 06:48 AM

You know Fall is coming soon when part of the garden starts emptying out. No, I don't plant fall crops.. I want winter to come so I get ready for it. lol

Lots of Sweet Bells waiting to turn colors. 10 plants.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden