U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 07:40 AM

14,785 posts, read 20,878,904 times

Advertisements

those are so beautiful cam oh my god I cant wait to get my house so that next spring I can start my maters and maybe some squash and swiss chard .....oooh I can taste them now .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 06:47 AM

75,325 posts, read 58,885,101 times
August 8th. Harvested 4 Sweet Bell Peppers. Morning temps in the low 60s while other spots are dipping into the 50s past few days. 40s up north and higher hills.

Would of been more but apparently they rotted on the plant.

Plenty more still on the 10 plants I have and we still have almost another month of growing season for Peppers.

And FINALLY! Not that I was waiting but the health of the Cucumbers this year was amazing and I started wondering when it would happen.

This mildew isn't as bad as.....

This... Bacterial Wilt. Not a watering thing. It's a disease. Since we're late in the growing season I will do nothing but get rid of the bad leaves/stems.

Overview of garden as morning sun shines through.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:30 PM

8,389 posts, read 14,492,346 times
Cambium, I LOVE your harvest photos! Too bad some of the peppers rotted, but most of your produce looks wonderful. I want some!

I am still working on my front gardens, digging out the foundation shrubs I cut down (see flower beds ... yes, FINALLY ... but questions questions questions!! ) ... I would love to do a veggie garden but curb appeal comes first. Maybe next spring/summer!

Did you do a lot of research before starting years ago or just kind of "wing it" the first year?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Cambium, I LOVE your harvest photos! Too bad some of the peppers rotted, but most of your produce looks wonderful. I want some!

Did you do a lot of research before starting years ago or just kind of "wing it" the first year?
Thanks! A lot of it comes from trial and error, but most of it comes from Youtube videos and internet research, some comes from my family doing it for 90 yrs.(grandfather and father), little bit is natural and instincts. lol

I personally been gardening for over a decade now. Still learning and learning whats a waste of time & space (like corn and strawberries)
=====================

August 10, 2015 Harvest. 5 Cucumbers(slowing down now), bunch of Hot Peppers, Bunch of Tomatoes including two 1.8 pounders. Biggest I've harvested here.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:57 AM

Pickles anyone? Pretty much done for the year now. Only a few cukes left on the vine so I wont be pickling anymore. What a year. Over 80 cucumbers. 28 jars of pickles (I gave 2 away so far)

Potatoes and Onions in baskets are from the garden as well.

Canning Tomatoes is soon. Some reason we always wait till cooler weather. Gives that Nostalgic feel.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:10 AM

hey cam looks like you are ready for armagedon LOL ...great haul dear . kudos to you .

Old 08-11-2015, 07:51 PM

8,389 posts, read 14,492,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Pickles anyone? Pretty much done for the year now. Only a few cukes left on the vine so I wont be pickling anymore. What a year. Over 80 cucumbers. 28 jars of pickles (I gave 2 away so far)
I LOVE cucumbers (wish they lasted longer!) but rarely eat pickles. How many jars do you usually keep?

Quote:
Potatoes and Onions in baskets are from the garden as well.
Love potatoes and onions too! I chop up onions and freeze them a lot, then use them in cooking. Yum!

Quote:
Canning Tomatoes is soon. Some reason we always wait till cooler weather. Gives that Nostalgic feel.
You have 99% convinced me to start a veggie garden in my back yard next year. I will spend our long, cold, snowy winter planning/preparing!

Quote:
Thanks! A lot of it comes from trial and error, but most of it comes from Youtube videos and internet research, some comes from my family doing it for 90 yrs.(grandfather and father), little bit is natural and instincts. lol

I personally been gardening for over a decade now. Still learning and learning whats a waste of time & space (like corn and strawberries)
Love corn, love strawberries! Why didn't they work for you? I suspect if they didn't work where you are, they likely wouldn't work for me either, alas.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
hey cam looks like you are ready for armagedon LOL ...great haul dear . kudos to you .
Haha! I'm ready for the Ice Age.

Quote:
I LOVE cucumbers (wish they lasted longer!) but rarely eat pickles. How many jars do you usually keep?
I found about 15 jars to be good enough for us at home till next year so will give at least 10 away..

Quote:
You have 99% convinced me to start a veggie garden in my back yard next year. I will spend our long, cold, snowy winter planning/preparing!

Love corn, love strawberries! Why didn't they work for you? I suspect if they didn't work where you are, they likely wouldn't work for me either, alas.
Highly recommend planning for one. Even a little one is worth it but what happens is, after the first yeat you'll realize you need a bigger one the following year so you keep expanding. That's what I did. LOL

Corn needs Full Sun, Heat, and Good Soil. I had none of that when I tried. (only 6hrs of sun!) there are corn farms in CT so it's not the region. It's my specific situation.

Strawberries were so awesome when I did them, I picked 2 full big bowls of them when they riped in May...and that was it. An entire area for like 2 sittings worth. I eat a lot of them! So a Pointless waste of space for me.. Then that space was done the whole season. Couldn't replant anything there. Plus they are delicate and prone to cold.

See them here in 2012

And a 2012 harvest with them

End of May 2013 picture, 2 weeks late.

June 2013 I gave up on them. Harvested 0.

====================

Harvest this morning.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:38 AM

gotta love it , I love the taste . I can gurantee you if I gave someone a grocery store tomatoe and one of my homegrown maters , they would be able to tell the difference and I did not know the difference until my grandfather made me taste them and then I knew what he always talked about the freshness and the true taste .

Old 08-14-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Future soil for the garden.

Next turn should be July maybe August. No odor is why I love keeping it out in the open like this. Only smelt a little (not bad) at the bottom but went away after it was turned.

That was May... This is Now.. August. All dirt except the new Hay I have. Will till this in next month and the new pile of leaves will be put into its spot. Round and Round we go. Thank You Trees!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden