U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 10:39 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,379,772 times

Advertisements

Cam, your plants look beautiful and healthy! Wow! Can't wait to see them all nestled in their outdoor garden! Thanks for the information regarding your tomato varieties. I agree re the romas - I was hoping to eat some in fresh chopped pico, but they were far too mealy and only suitable for making sauce (which they did very well)..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 06:45 AM

74,439 posts, read 57,881,120 times
April 28th I wanted to started hardening off at least the biggest Tomatoes because they outgrew the shelf height.

5 minutes outside yesterday and I knew it wasn't the right day. TOO WINDY!! Even if blocked its pointless to block indirect sun as well.

So will start today for couple hours as winds have calmed. Temps get into the 60s now.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:30 PM

As I harden off my plants I figure I post history here as a reminder in the future.....

I took this picture this morning around here.. There was a huge pile of snow in this parking lot but Enough was Enough I guess.

They broke up the pile of snow. Never seen snow piles in May around here. Pretty fascinating. Usually pretty cool to see at the end of March let alone into May.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:38 PM

205 posts, read 244,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
As I harden off my plants I figure I post history here as a reminder in the future.....

I took this picture this morning around here.. There was a huge pile of snow in this parking lot but Enough was Enough I guess.

They broke up the pile of snow. Never seen snow piles in May around here. Pretty fascinating. Usually pretty cool to see at the end of March let alone into May.
When I was younger...quite a bit younger, I remember a 6 inch snow storm the first week of June in Rochester, NY. I moved away in 1982, so it's been a long time since I've had to deal with anything like that.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotsdamBear83 View Post
When I was younger...quite a bit younger, I remember a 6 inch snow storm the first week of June in Rochester, NY..
Rochester has never gotten snow in June. Records since 1872. Maybe you're thinking about May 7, 1989? The only time in May they got more than 3 inches of snow. 10.7"! Impressive for May

Old 05-02-2015, 07:31 AM

205 posts, read 244,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Rochester has never gotten snow in June. Records since 1872. Maybe you're thinking about May 7, 1989? The only time in May they got more than 3 inches of snow. 10.7"! Impressive for May
So much for memory. I don't think I'm thinking 1989. I'll have to check Potsdam, NY. I spent years there. Thanks for posting the site. I didn't know you could look that up on the web!

Old 05-03-2015, 07:31 AM

Last week I told everyone to start hardening off. They thought I was crazy because it was end of April and usually we cant transplant till mid-end of May here. Weather models were clearly showing a warming trend without any significant cool downs. Sure anything past 10 days can change but every time they showed a change, it went right back to warmth. So I knew they were on to something.

60s last week. 70s this week. Staying above 50 at night now. Plants will be ready 1 week early this year.

They will be able to tolerate a few cold nights if they do come since they would of been hardened off already. Real warming trend starts now.

With that said....

Pictures from this morning. Day 5 for bigger Tomatoes. Day 3 for everything on the shelves. Notice the wind blocker for now.

Mmmm, Peppers

I bet they cant wait to get out of those cups!

Old 05-06-2015, 07:29 AM

Couple more days and they are ready..

First time I've had Pepper flowers this early. First time using Organic Miracle Grow potting soil in the cups.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:22 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,379,772 times
Beautiful plants, Cam! Can't wait to see how they all do! I see your weather has done a complete 180, as has ours. We are now socked in with cool and very wet (for us) weather through this coming weekend. I hope to begin hardening off my plants this coming weekend, but with temperatures in the 40s and 50s, I'm not sure it's the best idea. I may end up planting out about a week later than last season, but the benefit is that I have much larger, healthier transplants this season..

Cheers!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 AM

Default Transplanting Time

1-2 Weeks Early thanks to the early summer pattern. In fact we only had 1 month of Spring here. Winter ended late and now summer beginning early with 70s and 80s last 10 days..

Everything has been hardened off for a week now. No sun scold or damage so here we go...

Cucumber as always has the most roots and in such short time..

Planted Straight 8, Hybrid 2, and National Pickling.

Heritage Tomato roots. Seed started March 15th, transferred to cup mid April.

I'll have 4 rows of 7 plants and few other spots to "fill in".

Don't think I'll finish everything today. Still have 12 Bell Peppers, 30 Hot Peppers and like 30 Tomatoes to plant. Maybe tomorrow. This way if they don't like the strong sun, I can still move them to shade.

but they need to toughen up and soak in Summer now. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden