Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 04:46 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I'm new to gardening -- basically started last year with planting in the fall. (Last year's thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/garde...questions.html . My thread last year about heucheras: //www.city-data.com/forum/garde...ral-bells.html .) This spring I have been happy with the heucheras (and similar, e.g. heucherella) that I planted -- they are ALL doing well -- but not much of anything else has come up (e.g., I planted 100 or so tulips in a different bed and MAYBE 10 of them bloomed -- VERY disappointing).

I absolutely love heucheras, and I have many different varieties/colors. I have probably 12-14 already planted (from last year) and have bought half a dozen more, mostly mature plants, which I will be getting in the ground soon (it's been 90 degrees the last few days -- I can't work in that!!).

I have actually seen some heuchera beds that are just beautiful, but my bed is pretty big (maybe 30' long by 6-8' wide) and so I'm not sure it should be 100% heucheras/coral bells. So my question is, do you have suggestions for some flowers I could plant in the same bed, that would complement the heucheras?

That bed is a mix of sun and shade -- not full sun and not full shade. And as I wrote, the heucheras are all doing well. (Love, love, love them! I bought them mostly for their foliage -- it is SO gorgeous.)

I would appreciate any advice -- and I am generous with reps! (Oh, I'm in zone 5/5a.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 05:41 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
How about Caladiums? They come in a ton of different varieties and colors too.

Oops. I am editing to say that Caladiums may not be the "flowers"you are looking for.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 06-27-2016 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Added comment

Old 06-27-2016, 05:54 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
How about Caladiums? They come in a ton of different varieties and colors too.

Oops. I am editing to say that Caladiums may not be the "flowers"you are looking for.
Actually, those would be BEAUTIFUL in the bed and I bet they would go well with the heucheras. Thanks for the suggestion!

So let ME edit to add: plants with beautiful leaves would work too -- not just flowers!

Old 06-28-2016, 07:18 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
There are a TON of different types of heuchera Name Search Results | USDA PLANTS including h. americana and h. villosa which are native to our coast. There is also h. micrantha, which is a west coast native. Based on the ones I have in my garden, some are shade plants, and some seem to prefer quite a bit of sun in my zone. I'm talking about palace purple here which loves sun and is beautiful and a cinch to divide. It may be hard to suggest companions, since there are so many heuchera hybrids...

Unless you know their lineage, you should pick plants based on the sun, soil, PH and moisture you have in the bed where they are. Many heucheras like a WIDE PH from acid to alkaline and either sun or shade, generally on the dryer side. I don't have any heucherellas, but my tiarellas like somewhat more acid soil and moist shade. In my yard, the floriferous plants that coexist happily with the hybrid heucheras I have are:
hosta plantaginea (like sun and have fragrant flowers)
hamamelis virginiana, yellow flowers in the fall...this tree can eventually get very big
oakleaf hydrangea

Last edited by kinkytoes; 06-28-2016 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Formatting not enabled

Old 06-28-2016, 07:46 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
I have Alchemilla Mollis (Lady's Mantle) planted with my huchera, the leaves are the same sort of shape and the bright green flowers go well with the flowers on my various huchera.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I have lots of different varieties of hosta with my coral bells but be aware the deer love hosta. I also have Encore Azalea, lots of daffodils, coleus (annual) ferns and baptisia.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:10 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,802 times
I have mainly Japanese Painted Fern mixed in with my Heucheras. Although they aren't flowers, their leaf pattern really compliments Purple Palace Heuchera especially. Some years I planted tons of white impatiens around them, until the other perennials got bigger, like Hosta Guacamole and Trollius. There was also a pewter-colored Heucharella that disappeared, sadly. I loved it.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:06 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Hellebores? They come in an amazing variety of colors.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:27 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Soloman's Seal, Astilbe, Hosta, Lenten Roses, Autumn Fern come to mind.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:38 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
All I can add is that you can have fun experimenting. This, to me, means any plant that loves shade. I have an area which is fluky and the heuchera is happy in the shade, but not the sun. Go to some websites where you can screen for shade plants, and buy a few every year.

One plant that I love in shade is Brunnera. If you look at sites, such as White flower Farm, and others, and screen for shade loving plants, you will get some good suggestions. Ferns are always good too.

Last edited by gentlearts; 07-08-2016 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden