Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 04:33 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

Instead of tilling, I'm chopping and shoveling. Passing mid March and will be end of March in a few days. April in 2 weeks.

Chopping this much ice and snow here is all normal...for the 1800s. lol

Oh wait..... another half foot of snow tomorrow. Historic cold and snow length for our lifetime.

Most consecutive days with snow cover for NYC(JFK), Newark, Islip and most days in March for CT coast. http://iceagenow.info/2015/03/longest-snow-cover-record-islip-york-newark-jersey/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 07:10 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,653 times
Holy smokes, Cam! That looks awful! We are kind of on the opposite side of the spectrum with 60s and 70s the next 5 days or so, then perhaps a snowfall late next week. March is typically our snowiest month and April our second snowiest. Not shaping up that way here so far..

Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Holy smokes, Cam! That looks awful! We are kind of on the opposite side of the spectrum with 60s and 70s the next 5 days or so, then perhaps a snowfall late next week. March is typically our snowiest month and April our second snowiest. Not shaping up that way here so far..
Yes, it appears everywhere but the northeast, north mid-Atlantic US is having a warmer/drier than average winter. I feel sorry for those in California on water restrictions

Old 03-20-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
Yes, it appears everywhere but the northeast, north mid-Atlantic US is having a warmer/drier than average winter. I feel sorry for those in California on water restrictions
Yes, it looks like a very long and arduous summer for the folks out in CA.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Oh wait..... another half foot of snow tomorrow. Historic cold and snow length for our lifetime.
Yup, another 6.5" of fresh snow fell. Everything covered. Forget tilling the garden still.

Poor wild life finally had some grass showing here and there, now everything is snow packed again... And not melting fast with temps in 20s and 30s.

Unreal. Have to wait another 5 days when it reaches normal temp (50°)

Old 03-21-2015, 02:52 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
This is why I'm glad I'm using pots lol. Some plants are responding nicely to the March sun, temps are still on the cool side so growth is moderate at best, but my main gripe is lugging things in and outside as the temperature goes above/below freezing, hopefully we warm up soon so it won't be an issue.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
This is why I'm glad I'm using pots lol. Some plants are responding nicely to the March sun, temps are still on the cool side so growth is moderate at best, but my main gripe is lugging things in and outside as the temperature goes above/below freezing, hopefully we warm up soon so it won't be an issue.
Pots? This is what my pots look like.. lol. Low 40s and March sun not even warming them up. And yeah, definitely don't want to lug them in and out.

I only use pots for herbs because experience showed me pots will do better at first but wont last as long as in ground planting.

I don't see a warmup either... just 1-2 day pops. Teens tonight, struggling past 30s today and tomorrow.

I keep waking up thinking I'll be able to till the vegetable garden at least.. Nope..not yet.. and its April next week.

4" snowpack. Never fully lost all the snow. Was down to 1.5" on 3/20.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
And in 6 days look which starts to emerge.

The cells with just the seed starting soil. Curious how the results are in a week from now.
Interesting..

Red Circle: the soil with straight up Miracle Grow potting soil only 1 started to emerge but has been stunted and really hasn't grown still.

Orange Circle: The 1/2 potting soil on bottom and 1/2 Seed Starting only 1 came up and doing ok.

Yellow Circle: Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting mix 3 came up and doing good.

Green Circle: Just Miracle Grow Seed Starting soil. 5 out of 9 came up, doing ok.

I also want to report that I tried the Jiffy Seed Starting Soil... BIG difference. It seems to do better than Micracle Grow Seed Starting. Seeds emerged faster and look as healthy so far.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:51 AM

Unbelievable the winter you guys have had!! What is the long range forecast calling for? When do you think you'll actually be able to get out and start working the soil? It appears you will have a lot of work to get done quickly once the warm weather does finally come!

Interesting results with your starting medium experiment. I've just been using the MG starting mix and have had excellent results. Of course, I have not used any other medium, so I have nothing to compare, but I am very pleased with the health of my starts for this season.

I'll send some of our warmth your way. We've had 12 highs above 70º and one high above 80º so far this season. Upper 60s to around 80º for the next 7+ days with another picture perfect weekend in store! Average temperatures here (upper 50s day/upper 20s night) feel cool at this point..

Old 03-26-2015, 12:03 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Putting up my shop /grow light this weekend and since I don't have outside garden space I do my whole tomatoe and peppers in buckets and big planters /containers and im having fun and everything is coming up green and mean. I so hope I have tomatoes soon I have some minis which will give me early tomatoes I pray they do well .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden