Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 11:52 AM

64 posts, read 375,880 times

Advertisements

I have English Ivy growing up and around my lamp post in my backyard - it is all brown, and it all looks dead to me. This Winter here in New Jersey has been especially brutal and very cold, and I'm wondering if this Ivy is dead. Should I hold off removing it all, perhaps fertilize it, and see what happens ?

Patrick
Zone 6 - New Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 12:02 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,912,750 times
The exposed part is probably winter-killed, but I would just cut off the dead looking part and wait to see if some new growth begins at the base. English ivy is pretty hard to kill - just ask anyone who has tried.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,437,346 times
The ivy on my fence goes dry and dead-looking every winter. But it isn't dead. It comes back every spring. So will yours. Don't cut anything.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:30 AM

45,084 posts, read 60,132,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugDaddyNJ View Post
I have English Ivy growing up and around my lamp post in my backyard - it is all brown, and it all looks dead to me. This Winter here in New Jersey has been especially brutal and very cold, and I'm wondering if this Ivy is dead. Should I hold off removing it all, perhaps fertilize it, and see what happens ?

Patrick
Zone 6 - New Jersey
One can hope it is dead.

I have a war going on with English Ivy. Mrs. NBP allowed it in several years ago and it has decided to attempt a hostile takeover.

We're at a draw currently.

Keep it off your trees, it will choke and kill them.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:33 AM

13,037 posts, read 17,982,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
One can hope it is dead.

I have a war going on with English Ivy. Mrs. NBP allowed it in several years ago and it has decided to attempt a hostile takeover.

We're at a draw currently.

Keep it off your trees, it will choke and kill them.
English Ivy never dies, it will be here long after you are taking a dirt nap. I learned just as NB person did.
Many people have it growing up the side of the house and not only does it bring bugs it also attaches to the mortar and will create a nice income for a brick and mortar man who has to repoint the bricks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden