Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:33 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times

Advertisements

I stopped going to farmers markets. Seriously. They're fun and interesting and kind of folksy -- and the produce costs almost double what I pay in the grocery store. Plus, our grocery stores in KC carry produce from local farmers. As for quality, it's not really any better. But in years when I don't grow heirloom tomatoes, I'll get them at a farmers market.

A few years ago, I was at our town's farmers market and saw a sign at one stand that read: "Sweet Corn With Worms". I asked the vendor what that was all about and he told me his corn was organic, so it was bound to have a worm here and there, but I could just eat around it.

Um, okay, I'll pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
That's a very bad website that makes a lot of assertions and doesn't back anything up with links tomore information or research.

It is also terribly outdated. In the paragraph on "commonly used pesticides", most of the ones listed were banned ten or more years ago.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:04 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
That's a very bad website that makes a lot of assertions and doesn't back anything up with links tomore information or research.

It is also terribly outdated. In the paragraph on "commonly used pesticides", most of the ones listed were banned ten or more years ago.
strange that isnt it... I wonder how many will be banned in the next ten years then...

Old 03-24-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
strange that isnt it... I wonder how many will be banned in the next ten years then...
That was a terrible comeback. I see it all the time when people realize they posted duff information.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:27 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
unfortunately we cannot get away from harmful chemicals, they are all around us, in the ground, in our food, they are everywhere and some are not man made.

one that isn't man made is Radon, which comes up from the ground and into our homes.

the others are to many to name but here goes.

blacktop, concrete, pressure treated lumber, every time it rains, these seep into the ground.
They are in our kitchen cabinets, if they are not real wood....every lake that is treated for weeks, those treatments are loaded with chemicals.

Industries that dump chemicals into our rivers and streams...toxic waste....

back in the 40's our government experimented setting off nuclear bombs out west, all that debris waste is in our ground. No one knows exactly how long chemicals stay in the ground.

Years ago, farmers were using chemicals to kill weeds in their fields, which killed off pheasants....and those chemicals are still in the ground....

and that is just a start, have not yet, touched base on our foods....

so if you want to kill weeds in your yard, use straight white vinegar in a spray bottle. But there are so many chemicals all around us, that I'm surprised not many have figured out that, is where cancer comes from....all those chemicals....

Plus Electrical lines....give off waves of cancer causing agents.....
The radioactive products from nuclear explosions break down at known rates. Therefore it is inaccurate to say that "all that debris waste" is still in our ground.

Similarly, pesticides are broken down in soil. This can be aided by microbes in the earth and sunlight. These breakdown rates are also known.

Probably the most studied pesticide is DDT, and there is conflicting evidence on carcinogenicity in humans. The fact is that DDT is still used in countries with a high prevalence of malaria because there is not a less expensive alternative and the risk of not using it (more malaria cases) exceeds any known risk from the product itself.

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/bi43...T%20review.pdf

With any pesticide, the highest risk is going to be to people who make it and apply it. That risk for the general public can be mitigated by reading the directions and following them carefully, as others have noted.

There is no conclusive evidence that proximity to electrical lines increases the risk of cancer, though there is a weak association with childhood leukemia (not a proven cause and effect relationship).

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/mate...nglish_508.pdf

An overall review of environmental causes of cancer:

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/mate...onment_508.pdf

The bottom line is that Americans are, on average, living longer, despite the chemicals we encounter in our day to day lives.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:37 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The radioactive products from nuclear explosions break down at known rates. Therefore it is inaccurate to say that "all that debris waste" is still in our ground.

Similarly, pesticides are broken down in soil. This can be aided by microbes in the earth and sunlight. These breakdown rates are also known.

Probably the most studied pesticide is DDT, and there is conflicting evidence on carcinogenicity in humans. The fact is that DDT is still used in countries with a high prevalence of malaria because there is not a less expensive alternative and the risk of not using it (more malaria cases) exceeds any known risk from the product itself.

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/bi43...T%20review.pdf

With any pesticide, the highest risk is going to be to people who make it and apply it. That risk for the general public can be mitigated by reading the directions and following them carefully, as others have noted.

There is no conclusive evidence that proximity to electrical lines increases the risk of cancer, though there is a weak association with childhood leukemia (not a proven cause and effect relationship).

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/mate...nglish_508.pdf

An overall review of environmental causes of cancer:

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/mate...onment_508.pdf

The bottom line is that Americans are, on average, living longer, despite the chemicals we encounter in our day to day lives.
well Suzy Q, and I'm not being contrary in the least and thank you for the articles, however, I can find as many articles, conflicting your posts....so....sorry, but I don't believe these articles.....especially with the rise in Cancers, since 1948

I had been told by a chemical research scientist, that no one knows how long chemicals stay in the ground....it takes a long time for them to break down...and in areas were there are electrical lines, there has been an increase in Cancer Patients...no one can prove it, as no one can prove that certain illnesses are caused by meds....as of yet....but that doesn't rule it out in my way of thinking....chemicals are dangerous....

and I believe that testing with Nuclear bombs, back in the 40's has done damage from the waste products...it is now in the genes of animals, from the ground, to the grass to the animals that eat grass...we all have cancer genes in our bodies....when my Girlfriend was dying of lung cancer, her doctor told her that even a cold can awaken that gene...

There are many different theories....opinions, etc....but I know how toxic pressure treated lumber is and each time it rains those chemicals seep into our water table....plus all the chemicals from Blacktop roads....etc....maybe just maybe little bits but little bits over a long period of time can cause a lot of damage.

I saw how lakes are treated with chemicals all over the country to kill the algie, for nice clean lakes and ponds, and after our lake there were hundreds of fish floating, they had to come in with 55 gallon drums and take them out of the lake, I called the EPA, who did NOTHING.....but then at that time, I knew who owned the chemical companies.

Also, I want to make mention, that I've seen so many people in here ask for proof of their statements, and then when people post something in contrary to their statements, that person says, "Oh, that isn't a reliable source..".....so I tend to not waste my time.....doing so.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 03-25-2015 at 04:55 AM..

Old 03-25-2015, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I stopped going to farmers markets. Seriously. They're fun and interesting and kind of folksy -- and the produce costs almost double what I pay in the grocery store. Plus, our grocery stores in KC carry produce from local farmers. As for quality, it's not really any better. But in years when I don't grow heirloom tomatoes, I'll get them at a farmers market.

A few years ago, I was at our town's farmers market and saw a sign at one stand that read: "Sweet Corn With Worms". I asked the vendor what that was all about and he told me his corn was organic, so it was bound to have a worm here and there, but I could just eat around it.

Um, okay, I'll pass.
he was kidding you....

when we were little, our pop pop grew his own corn, and when you cleaned the corn, yes, there were little worms in it....so you just cleaned them out...for goodness sakes? no worries.

I'd much rather deal with the worms then all the Genetic crap they are raising.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:41 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
That was a terrible comeback. I see it all the time when people realize they posted duff information.
not at all..Duff to you maybe... who wont open your eyes to the dangers..and actually I think what I said about what will be banned in ten years is perfectly feasible.. wasnt meant to be silly or sarcastic in any way...

Last edited by dizzybint; 03-25-2015 at 04:51 AM..

Old 03-25-2015, 05:29 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Where to begin here...... Numerous factors come into play when using chemicals on the garden and/or lawn, and there are multiple downsides that aren't limited to only the possibility of danger due to chemical exposure.

I do not use any chemicals in my garden, and use only very limited spot-treating on lawn weeds that just won't go away with pulling them. I choose instead to use pre-emergents and lime to control lawn weeds, natural fertilizers to encourage healthy growth, and correct watering to encourage healthy roots. My lawn is by no means a perfect green carpet, but then I don't buy into that garbage sold to us by Monsanto, DuPont, and their ilk.

We can debate whether the chemicals we use on our lawns and gardens are dangerous or not- what I think is not debatable is that very few understand the ramifications of using these chemicals apart from the health risks.

The herbicides, fertilizers, and insecticides upset the natural balance in our gardens to the extent that we then need to take action, unfortunately often with other chemicals, to offset the damage. The high nitrogen content on many lawn fertilizers causes grass to grow and be green but don't encourage corresponding healthy root growth, thus, the grass is green and lush but inherently unhealthy- as witnessed by those lawns that turn brown as soon as it doesn't get rain or watering every week. Combine that with people who scalp their lawn down to 1/2" when they mow and you have a recipe for lawn disaster. Similarly, the insecticides we put on our plants to kill the pesky unwanted insects also kill the good insects, e.g. butterflies, bees, mantis, lady bugs, etc- all the good insects that naturally would keep the unwanted insects in check if our garden were in balance. My garden is swarming with bees, butterflies, lady bugs, as well as wonderful humming moths, humming birds, and other signs that my garden is in balance. My neighbor whose driveway runs alongside my garden often stands there in wonder watching all the natural activity indicative of a healthy garden.

Do I have garden pests, yes, certainly, but not on a regular basis- last year I had an infestation of aphids on one plant that I sprayed with a mild soap and water mixture every few weeks. My roses sometimes get leaf spot if I don't proactively spray with a baking soda mix.

My problem with using chemicals on the garden and lawn is that not only do people use chemicals as a knee-jerk reaction to an "issue", but they use them without regard for either the short-term or long-term potential consequences on their garden/lawn and its ecosystem. Most people don't know how to water their gardens/lawns correctly much less how to effectively and safely use chemicals on them. We need to get out of the mindset that there is a chemical solution for all our garden woes. Weeds are natural, grass lawns are NOT natural, insects are a natural and desired result of a healthy garden/lawn microsystem, a sterile lawn/garden without worms, bees, and other insects is NOT natural. I know which result I want and it doesn't include mindlessly dumping chemicals on my environment because a chemical company whose profits derive from their marketing have sold me on a one-step cure for all that ails my garden.

I worked for 20 years in both private, retail, and wholesale greenhouses and gardens, and while I am not a chemist who can explain the precise chemical nature of each product, I understand what healthy plants need, and DO know what works and what is healthy for lawns and gardens.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Where to begin here...... Numerous factors come into play when using chemicals on the garden and/or lawn, and there are multiple downsides that aren't limited to only the possibility of danger due to chemical exposure.

I do not use any chemicals in my garden, and use only very limited spot-treating on lawn weeds that just won't go away with pulling them. I choose instead to use pre-emergents and lime to control lawn weeds, natural fertilizers to encourage healthy growth, and correct watering to encourage healthy roots. My lawn is by no means a perfect green carpet, but then I don't buy into that garbage sold to us by Monsanto, DuPont, and their ilk.

We can debate whether the chemicals we use on our lawns and gardens are dangerous or not- what I think is not debatable is that very few understand the ramifications of using these chemicals apart from the health risks.

The herbicides, fertilizers, and insecticides upset the natural balance in our gardens to the extent that we then need to take action, unfortunately often with other chemicals, to offset the damage. The high nitrogen content on many lawn fertilizers causes grass to grow and be green but don't encourage corresponding healthy root growth, thus, the grass is green and lush but inherently unhealthy- as witnessed by those lawns that turn brown as soon as it doesn't get rain or watering every week. Combine that with people who scalp their lawn down to 1/2" when they mow and you have a recipe for lawn disaster. Similarly, the insecticides we put on our plants to kill the pesky unwanted insects also kill the good insects, e.g. butterflies, bees, mantis, lady bugs, etc- all the good insects that naturally would keep the unwanted insects in check if our garden were in balance. My garden is swarming with bees, butterflies, lady bugs, as well as wonderful humming moths, humming birds, and other signs that my garden is in balance. My neighbor whose driveway runs alongside my garden often stands there in wonder watching all the natural activity indicative of a healthy garden.

Do I have garden pests, yes, certainly, but not on a regular basis- last year I had an infestation of aphids on one plant that I sprayed with a mild soap and water mixture every few weeks. My roses sometimes get leaf spot if I don't proactively spray with a baking soda mix.

My problem with using chemicals on the garden and lawn is that not only do people use chemicals as a knee-jerk reaction to an "issue", but they use them without regard for either the short-term or long-term potential consequences on their garden/lawn and its ecosystem. Most people don't know how to water their gardens/lawns correctly much less how to effectively and safely use chemicals on them. We need to get out of the mindset that there is a chemical solution for all our garden woes. Weeds are natural, grass lawns are NOT natural, insects are a natural and desired result of a healthy garden/lawn microsystem, a sterile lawn/garden without worms, bees, and other insects is NOT natural. I know which result I want and it doesn't include mindlessly dumping chemicals on my environment because a chemical company whose profits derive from their marketing have sold me on a one-step cure for all that ails my garden.

I worked for 20 years in both private, retail, and wholesale greenhouses and gardens, and while I am not a chemist who can explain the precise chemical nature of each product, I understand what healthy plants need, and DO know what works and what is healthy for lawns and gardens.
what is the baking soda mix you use for black spot?

Also, thank you for posting this, sensible post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden