Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,057,755 times

Advertisements

There do not appear to be any birds in my neighborhood, none at all! I have just moved here (Austin NW suburbs) and really miss the wildlife I had in my old home garden.

I have fed birds in various places I have lived but there were always some in the trees to start with! Maybe they are all away for the winter? There are quite a few squirrels tho...A friend who lives less than a mile away has all kinds of birds in her garden, but she does back to a creek (I don't).

I have various feeders, suet, seed etc and a water basin.

There is no construction going on, and the backyards around us are all large with plenty of mature trees, shrubs etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,207,730 times
Well, if you've got the "big three"--food, water, and shelter, you should eventually get birds (unless there is something very unusual going on . . . like a hawk's nest in one of those mature trees ;-). Maybe it's just taking them a little while to find your place.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:55 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,965 times
I too think it just may take some time for them to find you.

I have local hawks, a falcon that comes by on occasion ... and i still have birds and squirrels.... though the majority of birds are House Sparrows (non-native) and Starlings (non-native)
I have Robins in the warmer months, and a pair of cardinals that hang out all year, along with mourning doves.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:07 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
Default Some thoughts......

Can you identify your trees and shrubs? Are they native to your area? If your neighborhood is filled with non-native plantings, it's possible the plants don't fully support your native birds.

Are there a lot of neighborhood cats? One hunting cat can wipe out a lot of birds and keep others at bay.

Here's some info off of Audobon that might help:

Audubon At Home

Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,057,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlypanda View Post
Did you put something strange in the garden?Such as something looks like a man...Birds dare not to get close to such a thing.
There is nothing odd in the garden, no scarecrows!

Just 3 or 4 big mature trees (oaks) and not much grass - as yet no shrubs or plants as I haven't got started on the planting yet.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:46 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times
The natural food supply for many of the birds we normally have is very low. The trees aren't loaded with cones so we have no crossbills. Whatever the pine grossbeaks normally eat must be low elsewhere. I've had them here all winter for the first time in the ten years I've lived here. I haven't seen an American goldfinch since summer but there are robins all over the place. It's an odd winter for birds here.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:16 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,292 times
I had a similar problem when I moved into my camp up north. I travel with parakeets and my birds really like to be outside. So I hung the cage outside in the shade. Birds were attracted to my birds. So every time I changed their seed cup, I tossed the old seeds on the ground with a bit more fresh seed and within a week, my parakeets were being kept company by the local wild birds and squirrels Then I started hanging wild bird feeders nearby but only the squirrels used them - the wild birds preferred to go after the remnants of parakeet seed on the ground near the cage.

I winter in WV and do the same thing with my parakeets - hang the cage on the T-post of my clothesline and wild birds are attracted to the sound of my birds. They don't speak the same language, but they are a curiosity to the wild birds.

Parakeets are a social bird, so I would suggest you buy two birds rather than just one, if you want to go that route. Get a roomy and stout cage for them, a cuttle bone, mite box (hangs on the side of the cage), provide a little bit of grit and then change the seed and water every day.
How can I attract birds to my garden?-keets.jpg
In this picture, I go overkill on securing the cage to the corner of the deck so windo or a bump won't jar the cage. I added natural branches to the cage because parakeets love to chew on wood. Mine went nuts over the natural branches, hollowing them out. I also provided a tupperware dish of water for them to bathe in.

The clothespins are holding a piece of plastic trash bag over half of the top of the cage and along the back which provides them with a wind break. Doesn't matter that wild birds can't "see" my birds - they can hear them. It would work even if you had them on a screened porch. Just make sure they are not in direct sunlight and you'll be good to go.

When the temperature drops below 30, bring them indoors.

Birds attract other birds better than anything else.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,489,451 times
I too have birds, I have a conure and a cocatiel that are kept in large cages outside. At one time I had a large aviary with over 70 budgerigars aka parakeets. When I move here 8 years ago, there were 15 large pine trees on the property and a host of sparrows, tit mice, chicadees and siskins, plus the guardian crows and occasional raven. We have removed the pines and I have a yard full of sparrows, black birds, bronze headed cow birds, grackles, starlings, siskins, warblers, finch's and crows nearly everyday. I had a dozen gambrels quail one summer, three ducks once and when I had the pines, a group of three peacocks and a peahen occupied the trees and our roof for about two weeks. I have a coopers hawk that inhabits my yard every fall and winter and have video of it six years ago and photos from each year since. I put out up to 50 pounds of bird seed each month and planted butterfly bush's, shrubs, small trees and flowers to keep them supplied with nectar and an insect source. I also never use any kind of pesticide, herbicide or chemical on my yard. Birds will avoid your yard if you use any of those. I let the birds take care of the bugs and spiders about my property. I pull the weeds and give them to my chickens. In the mean time, go to a bookstore and look up your local birds and get some tapes or CD's that feature birds singing and play that out doors. It is also a good idea to add some bird box's for the small birds.
Attached Thumbnails
How can I attract birds to my garden?-coopers-hawk.jpg   How can I attract birds to my garden?-crowandbirds.jpg  

Old 01-29-2008, 01:25 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,426 times
Maybe those backyard birdies are afraid of the grackles...or perhaps something else is going on, this may be interesting...
Murder Most Fowl? - TIME

Old 01-30-2008, 05:00 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,019,328 times
Some simple bird feeders for Suet and seed has attracted birds to my garden in Connecticut several varieties of woodpecker, Cardinal, Oriole and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden