Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Thank you everyone!

I know you see sun... but it only gets sun from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 then the sun goes back over the trees.

How much sun do I need?

I would like to put something on it to protect against bugs eating it. So far, none have. What can I buy to keep it beautiful and away from pests?
1-6 is the hottest part of the day.

Is there a deciduous tree that will cast some shade on it in August?

Obviously it has been surviving just fine where it is, so I'd leave it alone this year, and observe what happens this summer. If it looks pale and crispy in August, then you'll know that it might be happier with more shade. If that's the case, then next spring you can move it or plant a tree or shrub to cast some shade on it.

I use both Sluggo and some stinky stuff that repels deer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 06:29 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone!

I know you see sun... but it only gets sun from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 then the sun goes back over the trees.

How much sun do I need?

I would like to put something on it to protect against bugs eating it. So far, none have. What can I buy to keep it beautiful and away from pests?
Hostas love either full shade or partial sun. Slugs absolutely love them, so you should put down some slug bait to protect them. Deer love them too, but hopefully that's not a problem for you. Other than that, they're care free.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:54 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
By the way nothing to be brave about either, in terms of division. I would wait since you don't know how mature the plant is but once you see how large it is, fear not, you can either lift the entire plant and then divide or simply push the spade into it and divide. I use to lift and divide now I dont.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:09 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
By the way nothing to be brave about either, in terms of division. I would wait since you don't know how mature the plant is but once you see how large it is, fear not, you can either lift the entire plant and then divide or simply push the spade into it and divide. I use to lift and divide now I dont.
Yes, hostas look best when they are fussed over a bit, but they are amazingly tough when it comes to surviving in less than ideal conditions. It's really pretty hard to kill them.

A friend of mine was dividing his hostas and asked me if I wanted some. These were one of the very huge leaved kind - a mature leaf was nearly 12" across and about 16" long, really handsome. He used a crowbar to pry up some clumps, each clump well over a foot across. When I got them home, I had to use a reciprocating saw to divide them further, no knife was going to work!

OP, if your hosta is happy and you like it, you will eventually be able to stuff your yard with it. Or make your friends and neighbors happy...

Old 04-05-2015, 09:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Ours flourish with absolutely no sun ever, on the North side of the house, under the porch, with large trees on both sides. We started with 8 plants, all different varieties and after dividing every couple of years, we now have them across the entire front of the house except the front steps, about 50'. The more blue, and thicker leaved varieties are less attractive to the slugs, rabbits and deer.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:02 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Thank you everyone,

It is near 3:00 p.m. here now and I went outside and looked at my Hosta... It is in full sun and the sun itself looks to be at least 3 more hours of sun, then the sun goes over the trees.

Where I live, I have a forest behind and on the side of me, full shade all the time. (now that spring has come, all the forest trees are budding,) The side that the Hosta sits, it has shade til about 1:30 p.m. Then full sun until about 6 p.m. Is this going to be okay? I love to see it grow!

Maybe next year, attempt to move it or leave it alone?

Old 04-06-2015, 08:15 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Move it ASAP. there really is no bad time to move hostas. And move it to a spot where it will have room to grow, because if given a nice shady spot, it will grow to as much as 3-ft in diameter. At the momentk it is WAY too close to that building.

I once divided a lot of hostas in April, put them in a wheelbarrow on our patio and didn't do anything with them for a month. I eventually planted them and they grew like crazy, even after all that neglect.

Move them now.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:01 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Before you move the hosta, realize that the angle of the sun will change by summer, as may shade patterns. Wait until the nearby trees are fully leafed out, and see if that makes a difference.

That said, if the wall behind your hosta gets sun, it will retain and radiate heat which may not be too good for the hosta. On the other hand, it will also extend the growing season.

In your place, I'd give it time and watch how it responds. Then in the fall, or next spring, you could move or divide it if you want to.

In the right place, hostas are pretty much care-free, and they are staples in the shade garden. Good luck with yours!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:08 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
I found this growing and not quite sure what it is...

It started out as 6 rolled sprout shapes and just grew and bloomed fast!

Do you know what it is? (city girl trying to grow country here)...
Lucky girl, that's a hosta! I love my hostas but they do not like the sun.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:17 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Before you move the hosta, realize that the angle of the sun will change by summer, as may shade patterns. Wait until the nearby trees are fully leafed out, and see if that makes a difference.

That said, if the wall behind your hosta gets sun, it will retain and radiate heat which may not be too good for the hosta. On the other hand, it will also extend the growing season.

In your place, I'd give it time and watch how it responds. Then in the fall, or next spring, you could move or divide it if you want to.

In the right place, hostas are pretty much care-free, and they are staples in the shade garden. Good luck with yours!
This is a great idea to wait until the trees have their leaves on them, many are budding now but just tiny leaves at this point. This should not take too long as the trees are blooming everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden