U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2015, 06:52 PM
 
705 posts, read 817,175 times
Reputation: 483

Advertisements

The supporting vines are thick and encase the tree. The tree seems healthy but the vine has grown to the top of the tree into the canopy. Is there a way to keep this vine from destroying the tree eventually or is it too late and cut the tree down? As I said the tree seems healthy otherwise. Can you put poison on the roots and eventually kill the leaves on the vine further up? Also there are azaleas close to the tree. Will poison kill the azaleas too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2015, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
20,715 posts, read 9,372,174 times
Reputation: 12598
Yes, the ivy can kill the tree.

Dunno whether it's too late for the tree, you'd need to get an arborist out.

Getting rid of the ivy is straightforward and if you're willing to do a modicum of work, no poison needed.

Just take the biggest pair of loppers you have, or even a reciprocating saw, and cut off all the ivy trunks about a foot up from the ground. The ivy in the tree will die, and you can just pull it off of the tree at your leisure.

You will also have to keep at any of it growing on the ground, which can be a JOB, but getting it out of the tree and keeping it out is doable.

Poison could kill your tree, even if applied by an expert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 07:08 PM
 
705 posts, read 817,175 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, the ivy can kill the tree.

Dunno whether it's too late for the tree, you'd need to get an arborist out.

Getting rid of the ivy is straightforward and if you're willing to do a modicum of work, no poison needed.

Just take the biggest pair of loppers you have, or even a reciprocating saw, and cut off all the ivy trunks about a foot up from the ground. The ivy in the tree will die, and you can just pull it off of the tree at your leisure.

You will also have to keep at any of it growing on the ground, which can be a JOB, but getting it out of the tree and keeping it out is doable.

Poison could kill your tree, even if applied by an expert.
The supporting vines are very thick(almost woody and inches around) and encase the tree.Can I make some sort of circular cut around them with a saw?Will it hurt the tree if its cut into as some as the vines are cut? These thick vines have attached themselves firmly to the tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 07:13 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,964 posts, read 44,527,560 times
Reputation: 45188
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
The supporting vines are very thick(almost woody and inches around) and encase the tree.Can I make some sort of circular cut around them with a saw?Will it hurt the tree if its cut into as some as the vines are cut? These thick vines have attached themselves firmly to the tree.
A couple skins on the bark likely won't hurt the tree. You'll just have to take the time and do it. If the vines are as large as you say you may need a pruning saw:




Are you positive it's not poison ivy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
20,715 posts, read 9,372,174 times
Reputation: 12598
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
The supporting vines are very thick(almost woody and inches around) and encase the tree.Can I make some sort of circular cut around them with a saw?Will it hurt the tree if its cut into as some as the vines are cut? These thick vines have attached themselves firmly to the tree.
Yes, ivy has little "pads" which will adhere to the tree.

Knicking the tree's bark is not a problem, and actually, most oaks have a pretty thick bark, but avoid it as much as possible.

Cut the ivy trunks that are easy to get to first, then wait a few weeks, you'll see which of the ivy trunks have died. Pull those down as best you can, then work on a new batch of ivy trunks. Doing the job in stages is not a problem. The tree will look weird for a while, with all that dead and dying mass of ivy entangled in it, and the tree will likely lose leaves and smaller branches as you pull the ivy down, but don't lose faith, your tree will thank you for it!

If the larger ivy trunks are very firmly attached, you may need to cut through them higher up the tree, as well as about a foot off the ground, and leave the lower portion of the ivy trunk attached to the tree. That won't matter as long as the ivy trunk is really dead, and it might be preferable, because if the ivy trunks are that massive, pulling them down could strip the tree of some of its bark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 07:37 PM
 
705 posts, read 817,175 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A couple skins on the bark likely won't hurt the tree. You'll just have to take the time and do it. If the vines are as large as you say you may need a pruning saw:




Are you positive it's not poison ivy?
The leaves on the vine look like this but has these think supporting vines.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 07:42 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,964 posts, read 44,527,560 times
Reputation: 45188
Looks like a variety of English Ivy. Yes, get rid of it. If the vines are as thick as you say it's been growing on that tree for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 07:49 PM
 
705 posts, read 817,175 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Looks like a variety of English Ivy. Yes, get rid of it. If the vines are as thick as you say it's been growing on that tree for years.
So does this make sense? Sawing through the vines with a pruning saw then controlling new growth by smothering it on the ground with a couple of inches of mulch or wood chips? I was looking at some more images of ivy and I think you are right that its English Ivy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 07:51 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,964 posts, read 44,527,560 times
Reputation: 45188
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
So does this make sense? Sawing through the vines with a pruning saw then controlling new growth by smothering it on the ground with a couple of inches of mulch or wood chips?

Yep, that's the plan. Ivy will spread under the mulch via runners. I'm finally getting mine under control (didn't have in trees, just as a ground cover).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2015, 07:56 PM
 
705 posts, read 817,175 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yep, that's the plan. Ivy will spread under the mulch via runners. I'm finally getting mine under control (didn't have in trees, just as a ground cover).
So are you saying mulch will or wont help? What are you using to get it under control? Also is it best to stay away from poison altogether to control it on the ground?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top