U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 11:10 PM

21,568 posts, read 20,595,543 times

Advertisements

Most of the snow has finally melted here but--horrors--when it had melted enough to reveal my little Japanese Maple tree, the tree was broken and at a 90 degree angle.

The tree is about 4 feet tall and had been completely under the snow. It was still attached to the little stick that was tied to it to hold it straight but where the stick ended, about 1 1/2 feet up the trunk, the tree was bent sideways.

I ran out, pulled the stick and the tie away, stood the tree up straight and it stands up on its own. I'm afraid to bend it again because I'm not sure how broken it is and I don't want to make it worse. If anyone knows what I mean, what do I do?

Should I take some kind of wide tape and wind it around the wound like a bandage to help it heal? Or does it need air and the tape would hurt it? Or do I get a very tall stake/stick and tie it up so it doesn't bend again?

Thanks. I just bought this pretty tree last fall and I hope I can save it. (It has buds so I think and hope it's still alive.)

Old 04-06-2015, 12:27 AM

25,627 posts, read 31,630,958 times
Use growers stretch tape. Wrap it tight starting about six or more inches below the bend and wrap in a criss cross pattern up to six inches above the bend. Continue back and forth, up and down until you feel it's secure. Then strap it to a two inch wooded stake drivin at least 18 inches into the ground right next to the tree. Lash it to the stake in three or more places for at least 6 months. That should give the tree time to heal it self.

I've save young trees like this every year that are incorrectly planted and staked in windy locations.

Hopefully it makes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 06:20 AM

8,672 posts, read 11,555,168 times
Bulldogdad gave good advice, but if you are really concerned take a few pictures and go to a local nursery and ask or call an arborist and ask for a free estimate.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:02 AM

21,568 posts, read 20,595,543 times
Thank you. I'll go to either Home Depot (since I'll be in that area anyway) or the local garden center today. I want to save that little tree.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:27 PM

72,548 posts, read 55,571,743 times
Growers stretch tape like Bulldogdad said, firm enough stake to holding the tree straight up. You'll notice if it's accepting the new challenge soon enough. otherwise it might just grow a new branch, leader, ect. Pictures always helps us.

What a year its been for damaged landscape. Between the snow and the wildlife not having exposed ground for 8 weeks straight. I lost a few and many just torn up.

Stupid me raked the roof and the snow fell on top of the "sticks" (trees just couple yrs old) Imagine the weight. I forgot they were there since they were covered already with 2 feet of snow. So I have to stake them up straight again.

But I'm having a hard time visualizing a 4 foot maple that bent over in the snow. Was it plowed or shoveled onto? I doubt wind did it. Was there heavy wet snow one day or ice and bent it then snow kept falling week after week?

Old 04-06-2015, 06:00 PM

25,627 posts, read 31,630,958 times
Price of advice, pictures please.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:56 AM

4,384 posts, read 8,502,305 times
They are often more tough than they look; our dozen different varietals get snow heaped on, hail, hard rain, and ferocious winds depending upon season, over the course of the last 13 yrs.

Yes, a few have changed shape due to snow heaps and losing limbs/bent trunks over the years, but unless your tree croaks from too much trunk damage or lack of new leafing branches, it should/will pull through.

The more severe effect is that a late Spring very cold snap/freeze will zap the buds and/or new leaflets. Happens to our batch about every other year, but they have survived beyond that partial leaf burn and reduction.

We are in the mtns of western NC, but at ~5,000 ft elevation, so our zone(s) are similar, if not more severe here.

Let it stand, re stake it carefully and not too constricting, (the hold on tape is simply to add support and attachment from stake to trunk), hope for a non freeze spring and enjoy it.

Most acer palmatum species and varietals tend to act like any recently planted perennial/tree: sleep the first year, creep the second year and get to leaping the third of fourth year, depending on the varietal and growing conditions.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 04-09-2015 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden