U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 12:48 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,253,350 times

Advertisements

This was forwarded to me by my County Extension Agent

The Journal Lancet has published an overview of a study that indicated glyphosate and malathion may be carcinogens in humans

http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journa...%2970134-8.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:27 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,970,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
This was forwarded to me by my County Extension Agent

The Journal Lancet has published an overview of a study that indicated glyphosate and malathion may be carcinogens in humans

http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journa...%2970134-8.pdf
If your county Extension Agent sent you that, he was extremely irresponsible because Extension employees and volunteers are never supposed to send links to anything except university and government based websites.

Also, any responsible person who represents a university would never send out links for which you have to register and login to read a complex study. We always strive to send information in a form homeowners can digest. This is not it.

I volunteer with Extension and was talking to our Hort Agent about this crazy study, and he was rolling his eyes.

Weeks ago, this study was discredited because the amounts of the chemical fed to lab rats was tantamount to us taking baths in the stuff. That right there indicates the research is horribly flawed.

IARC glyphosate cancer review fails on multiple fronts
IARC glyphosate cancer review fails on multiple fronts | Academics Review

Now I am headed outside to spray glyphosate on some weeds -- because I know how it works, I know how to use it, and I'm not a hysteric.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:02 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,253,350 times
For anyone who doesn't want to register for that website here's a snippet of what was in the pdf (I'm only pasting the portion relevant to Gly). Note that there is NO smoking gun in this article, merely a possible statistical link.

As far as "taking baths" in the pesticides, that would be one way of accelerating a lifetime of exposure. I post the info not to incite fear or to make people hysterical but to be aware that such information *may* be coming out of a university or government agency before long and to remind people that they should be careful. Not everyone reads those warning labels.

I like using Glyphosate, but I'm not going to tell people it's perfectly safe to use.

Glyphosate is a broad-spectrum
herbicide, currently with the highest
production volumes of all herbicides.
It is used in more than 750 diff erent
products for agriculture, forestry,
urban, and home applications. Its
use has increased sharply with the
development of genetically modifi ed
glyphosate-resistant crop varieties.
Glyphosate has been detected in air
during spraying, in water, and in food.
There was limited evidence in humans
for the carcinogenicity of glyphosate.
Case-control studies of occupational
exposure in the USA,14 Canada,6
and
Sweden7
reported increased risks
for non-Hodgkin lymphoma that
persisted after adjustment for other
pesticides. The AHS cohort did not
show a signifi cantly increased risk
of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. In male
CD-1 mice, glyphosate induced a
positive trend in the incidence of a
rare tumour, renal tubule carcinoma. A
second study reported a positive trend
for haemangiosarcoma in male mice.15
Glyphosate increased pancreatic
islet-cell adenoma in male rats in two
studies. A glyphosate formulation
promoted skin tumours in an
initiation-promotion study in mice.
Glyphosate has been detected in
the blood and urine of agricultural
workers, indicating absorption.
Soil microbes degrade glyphosate
to aminomethylphosphoric acid
(AMPA). Blood AMPA detection
after poisonings suggests intestinal
micro bial metabolism in humans.
Glyphosate and glyphosate formulations
induced DNA and chromosomal
damage in mammals, and in human
and animal cells in vitro. One study
reported increases in blood markers of
chromosomal damage (micronuclei) in
residents of several communities after
spraying of glyphosate formulations.16
Bacterial mutagenesis tests were
negative. Glyphosate, glyphosate
formulations, and AMPA induced
oxidative stress in rodents and in
vitro. The Working Group classifi ed
glyphosate as “probably carcinogenic
to humans” (Group 2A).

this link is just for fun:
Roundup: so safe you can drink it? - Seattle GMO | Examiner.com

Old 04-10-2015, 12:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,031 posts, read 58,306,162 times
Whenever one of those dual-prop helicopter goes by (rarely, thank goodness) I cannot help thinking about those evenings in the early 1980s when they were used to spray malathion over large residential areas of the east bay (San Francisco) to eliminate the Mediterranean fruit fly. It damaged car paint if left uncovered, and while we were told to stay in our homes, people were caught off guard and got it on themselves. At that time, and again in 1989 the danger to humans was questioned. I see that it's still not known for sure, but is still sold and used. Like Roundup, and any other garden or home
chemicals, use moderation and precaution. There are many things used daily that could be bad for us that we are not aware of, a good example being the "Chinese drywall" of 2001.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:49 AM

9,198 posts, read 22,502,458 times
Another recent article on concerns regarding glyphosate residue:

Fears over Roundup herbicide residues prompt private testing

Old 04-14-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Another recent article on concerns regarding glyphosate residue:

Fears over Roundup herbicide residues prompt private testing
From that article:
There are numerous studies that have determined glyphosate to be safe, but several others have linked it to human health ailments. Critics say they fear that glyphosate is so pervasive in the environment that extended exposure even to trace amounts can be harmful.

Who are these critics? Do they know that glyphosate breaks down in sunlight and becomes inert in soil? Do they know that unlike DDT and Dursban, glyphosate is NOT persistent in the soil? Chemicals that persist in the soil have been systematically banned for decades. "Persistent" means the chemical doesn't break down.

Glyphosate breaks down, and pretty quickly. Cornell's Etoxnet is the best source of information on these products, and here is what they say about glyphosate:

Glyphosate

As with all chemicals, there are warnings. There are warnings on vinegar bottles, laundry detergent, and even on pesticides used in organic gardening. Follow instructions, read the label.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:44 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,438,802 times
I agree with gunslinger. Anything that can kill plants can't be safe. Even if it is safe for people, what about the rest of the ecosystem? Use with caution. Or better yet, avoid.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:25 PM

497 posts, read 325,375 times
Well I hope you don't like salt and vinegar potato chips! There are plenty of 'green' gardeners that use vinegar as a herbicide. There are also plenty of people who willingly pour this poison on their food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I agree with gunslinger. Anything that can kill plants can't be safe. Even if it is safe for people, what about the rest of the ecosystem? Use with caution. Or better yet, avoid.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Really? Even vinegar?

Here is another report, from Canada, absolving glyphosate of crimes against humanity. I'm sorry if you're disappointed that you're not getting the answers you want, but that's how science works. My own views were turned around when I did a research per for a soils science class and honestly thought I would conclude that a variety of modern pesticides was killing our soil. It was humbling. The researchers and university professors I interviewed for the paper, none of whom had a vested interest in selling pesticides, set me straight, and I guess that's the purpose of term papers.

Glyphosate not a health risk: Health Canada - The Western Producer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or