U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 01:53 PM

656 posts, read 1,019,575 times

Advertisements

was just walking in the garden store and noticed the vegetable plants tomatoes etc are VERY healthy with strong upright stems and nice leaves....also noticed a whitish mix in their containers, so my question is what y'all do after the seeds germinate and are moved to a slightly bigger container ? Any plant food to make them strong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 02:56 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,441,210 times
Fish emulsion is usually what I give my starts. As for transplanting, it depends. Much of my garden goes into the ground once the roots have been well established.
I typically start with 4 inch pots, but germination trays are fine as well. But as I mentioned. I transplant once there is good root growth.
Once in the ground, I use different foods based on the stage of growth.
There are different proportions of NPK (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium) in different foods, growth requires different proportions than the fruiting stage.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,862 posts, read 58,027,122 times
They were sprouted and kept in a heated greenhouse, plant food is not the main reason for their health. For tomatoes, bone meal is like a wonder-drug. Work it into the soil before transplanting, and you will be amazed at how much better they do. For all of my plants I just use Miracle-Gro every two weeks during the growing season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or