U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 08:03 AM

828 posts, read 1,452,754 times

Advertisements

Now we have to maintain a lawn of 1.25 ac. Our previous house was in a .12 ac lot and we used a electric mower which wouldn't be useful here. So we know we need to buy something to mow the lawn, but not sure what would be the best bet.

The lot is level, a few trees (like 3) in the middle, a playground and a small shed. We are in NH so we get snow and this year a record amount. We do have a regular snow blower, but were also wondering about getting something to help with that. The driveway is not long or big, but with the amount of snow we got, the snow blower was almost unable to blow the snow high enough to pass the "walls" of snow around the driveway.

I've been checking, but AFAIK, a regular rider is not able to get attachments (like the snow blower or a plow), is that right?

The tractors I've seen seem like overkill for the use since we would mostly mow with them.

What would work best for us? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 AM

3,269 posts, read 3,362,969 times
Look into a John Deere tractor. You can get one that has a snowblower attachment. I have a JD 318 that is over 30 years old and still runs like a Deere ! I had a snowblower on it for awhile (but sold it, didn't need it at home) and it could throw snow 30 feet if need be. There are other brands that are good also, but I'll stick with John Deere for reliability. Whatever you decide, don't buy a cheap mower as you'll end up replacing it.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:24 AM

31,636 posts, read 51,333,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
Now we have to maintain a lawn of 1.25 ac.
That seems like a lot of lawn to mow.

We have a few homeowners in our town that have lawns in the 5 acre to 10 acre size. They mow with old tractors and hay-cutting scythes.

We had a 2 acre clearing on our land, that I planted fruit/nut trees in. But we do not have any lawn.

Quote:
... We do have a regular snow blower, but were also wondering about getting something to help with that. The driveway is not long or big, but with the amount of snow we got, the snow blower was almost unable to blow the snow high enough to pass the "walls" of snow around the driveway.
Snow blowers can be: single-stage or two-stage.
Self-propelled or push.
They also come in different Hp ratings.

A single-stage snow blower is trying to chew-up the snow/ice and also to blower it, all with one mechanism. As a result they can not blow very well.

A two-stage snow blower, has one auger that chews-up the snow/ice, then feeds to a separate device that focuses specifically on blowing. Usually for 40+ feet away.

Self-propelled is a big feature. Units with knobby tires that you only steer, are much easier to operate, as compared to something you must push while standing on ice yourself.

If you anticipate getting a lot of snow, then obviously a bigger engine is usually better. You would want enough power to do the work, and you also want easier maintenance and easier starting. [smaller engines are often 2-cycle instead of 4-cycle. Larger engines tend to be battery start]

My snow blower fits on the front of my M/F tractor. It is pto powered, so it relies on my diesel tractor.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:29 PM

828 posts, read 1,452,754 times
Our snow blower is a two-stage one. But with the winter we just got, we would like to have a backup if possible.

Primary goal of the lawnmower would be to mow, but if it can do something else, it'd be nice.

Any brands to recommend or to avoid? Kohler or B&S?

Old 04-18-2015, 05:15 PM

29,988 posts, read 66,026,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
Now we have to maintain a lawn of 1.25 ac.
The lot is level, a few trees (like 3) in the middle, a playground and a small shed.
A small (42") riding lawn tractor or an even smaller (36") RER will do fine.

As to brand... anything other than Craftsman.
Instead of brand focus on the retailer you buy it from.
Use a good one... NOT Sears.

And don't be a fraid of chancing it with a used one.
And be sure it has a "bagger" kit (for fall leaves).
Quote:
We are in NH so we get snow and this year a record amount.
We do have a regular snow blower, but were also wondering about getting something to help with that.
That's called "neighbor with a real plow". Find one. Bake them cookies.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:50 AM

3,763 posts, read 11,027,939 times
We have an acre in S. Ohio. As far as I know, everyone in the neighborhood has riding mowers. 1 house may have a mini-tractor, but that's a more money than sense issue.

We have a 54" cutting deck (less passes) and got the more powerful one - 26HP I believe (we have some slight grade changes and wanted to be able to pull a dump cart). My neighbor has a similar set up, but has a snow blade for the winter and does his (50') driveway and sometimes does ours as well.

Of course snow here (8" at one time would be pretty significant) is a lot less than snow there.

We did the lawn with a manual push-mower (not a self-propelled) when we first moved in before we bought the riding mower. It can certainly be done, just takes a heck of a lot longer.

Enjoy your new yard!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or