U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 02:24 PM

5,663 posts, read 5,291,406 times

Advertisements

Beautiful!!!! My grandmother had some lilac colored iris that smelled exactly like grape soda. I've got purple and yellow now, but would love to find that variety my grandmother grew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 AM

1,778 posts, read 4,113,644 times
no kudzo,
Thanks for posting those pics! LOVE the yellow one.
Mine bloom spring and fall, which is wonderful!
Truly one of my favorite plants.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:49 AM

64 posts, read 332,945 times
Ok, well I'm having a problem with the SIBERIAN IRIS rhizomes that I planted. Is there anyone on here that has experience with SIBERIAN IRIS ? I could use your help.

No more talk about deer please. My post was about Iris. I don't have a deer problem here. I need some cultural help regarding growing SIBERIAN IRIS.

Thanks.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:05 AM

75,643 posts, read 88,385,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugDaddyNJ View Post
I live in Southern New Jersey, and have just started an Iris bed, as I love Iris, both Bearded German Iris, and Beardless Iris. Hope to touch base with others who enjoy growing Iris. Let's talk.
We have them everywhere in our front bulb garden and out in back near the forest. Every year we have more and I don't know where they are coming from. We don't do anything with them except enjoy seeing them grow and watch for new locations the follwoing year. The downside, in the bulb garden, I think they chased the tulips away. We didn't get any this year.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:54 AM

36,504 posts, read 46,063,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugDaddyNJ View Post
Ok, well I'm having a problem with the SIBERIAN IRIS rhizomes that I planted. Is there anyone on here that has experience with SIBERIAN IRIS ? I could use your help.

No more talk about deer please. My post was about Iris. I don't have a deer problem here. I need some cultural help regarding growing SIBERIAN IRIS.

Thanks.
What's the problem I might be able to hellp.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:50 PM

I finally dug up the Siberian Iris rhizomes, and found that they had "rotted". They were in soil that was just to wet, and it rotted them. It really bummed me out a lot. But the soil I used was 'bagged' soil, ya know, Garden Soil you buy in a bag from Home Depot and Lowe's. It's just to wet, and I did not mix it in to my existing soil. So the rhizomes rotted.
I have since not watered all of the Iris that I have planted, and allowed the soil to dry out quite a bit, and the remaining
Tall Bearded Iris rhizomes seem to be growing and doing well.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:28 PM

36,504 posts, read 46,063,271 times
Could you have planted them too deeply or were they diseased when you planted them?

Garden soil mixed in with your own soil, a bit of bulb booster or bone meal should be fine. I've never planted anything just in garden soil, it's either in a container in potting soil or in the ground amended with garden soil , peat moss or ground bark called nature's Helper.

I had a bad experience with rot on bearded iris. I dug up a bunch, stuck them in pots in the shade until I could get to them. The pots had holes but no soil. I couldn't get to them for 3 weeks so periodically I would spray in their direction with the hose. This week I got to them and many were rotted. I should have remembered how, in a previous garden, I dropped some from the garden cart while going across the yard. I forgot about them and eventually they bloomed and they were never planted or watered. I know German Bearded and Siberian asre two different animals but generally if planted correctly iris are hard to kill.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:29 PM

24,582 posts, read 32,026,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Beautiful!!!! My grandmother had some lilac colored iris that smelled exactly like grape soda. I've got purple and yellow now, but would love to find that variety my grandmother grew.
I've got 2 different purple and lavender irises that smell like grape kool-aid. They are mass plantings, so the smell is noticeable.

Several of my irises have a scent, but the only ones that smell like grape kool-aid are the ones that are purple and lavender. If you go to an online iris nursery they will list whether or not the flowers have fragrance and there should be a photo of the bloom. With a little research you should be able to find the one you are looking for.

(Sorry, my grape flavored ones are both NOIDs that I got in trades, so I can't help you on the variety)

Old 09-19-2015, 07:16 AM

UPDATE: It's been awhile since I have visited this Thread here that I started. My Iris rhizomes are all planted for the year. I ended up with over 50 Historic Iris rhizomes in 2 Iris gardens. So far, so good. I only lost 2 rhizomes. One TB, and One Siberian to rot. All the others are doing Ok. Even the Louisiana Iris I planted. So I'm hoping they all bloom next Spring. I guess I'm sort of an "Iris-Addict" but I don't care. It's my favorite flower and I will grow as many as I can and have room for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden