Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 04:24 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times

Advertisements

It was so lovely in Southern MN today that I went out to weed my rock garden. There's something so satisfying to me about weeding by hand and it keeps me flexible while giving me an honest excuse to go out and sit in the sun.

My plan didn't last long when I discovered that all the gardening gloves I could find had holes in the index fingers. Think I spent longer getting my fingernails clean again than I had spent outside!

I distinctly remember a conversation here about a good, sturdy gardening glove that people were using and now I wish I'd paid more attention. A search back through the threads to 2012 didn't help me out.

Can you help me? I've liked using the ones that are stretchy and have the rubber coating on them as it's easier to grasp the plants with something a little more tight fitting. But it doesn't take long for me to wear a hole through the most used fingers of those.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 04:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I used to spend quite a bit on gardening gloves. Then I found some at Target for $1.00/pair. They look like yellow rubber dish gloves, but they are a lighter weight, and have white palms. Since my goal is only to keep my hands reasonably clean, they do the job.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:26 PM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
My spouse likes the ones she gets at Costco, six pairs for $10. Palm and underside of fingers are rubberized, tops are material. Rarely gets holes in them. Usually throws them out because they look so bad.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:51 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Do you have long nails? IF so that is the main problem, not the gloves.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I have gloves for different jobs but really like the coated-in-rubber ones too. I keep my nails trimmed but I also stuff part of a cotton ball in the fingertips so I don't poke through the ends. Sometimes I even soak the cottonballs in baby oil to give my cuticles a nice massage.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:18 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Oh, great ideas, all. Thanks.

I guess I'm busted for having long fingernails. Though I usually keep them shorter in the summer just for the gardening reason. Tonight I filed them down in preparation.

Some of the problem is that part of the rock garden is covered in gravelly-type stones and trying to dig among them is also rough on the gloves. Really is tough on the fingers, too.

Never did think of the cottonball idea. I'm willing to try that also and hope it won't interfere with my grasping abilities.

The rubber ones at Walmart might be the right way to go. Never do like it when the gloves get soggy.

And at six pair for $10. at Costco I could afford to go through them like potato chips, I suppose.

I'm still thinking someone mentioned a heavy-duty pair maybe last summer sometime. Hopefully they'll come along and tell me what they were. Most of the heavy ones we've got around here my husband uses and they are just to bulky for me.

I've got my work cut out for me. When we moved in here thirty-some years ago a few stray ox eye daisies used to pop up in the grass and one year I dug a couple out and put them in the flower bed. Never know where they're going to take a notion to come up and this year it looks like they took over the rock garden.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Never did think of the cottonball idea. I'm willing to try that also and hope it won't interfere with my grasping abilities.
We grasp with our finger pads, not with the ends so if you don't put too much cotton in the ends it shouldn't interfere.

Also try using a tool to loosen the weeds with your left hand and then pull with your right.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:08 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We grasp with our finger pads, not with the ends so if you don't put too much cotton in the ends it shouldn't interfere.

Also try using a tool to loosen the weeds with your left hand and then pull with your right.
I am right handed, so can I use a tool with my right hand and then pull with my left?

I garden a lot, and I find that I cannot stand to wear gloves. I have short nails year round, and just scrub well once I'm done.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:35 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My spouse likes the ones she gets at Costco, six pairs for $10. Palm and underside of fingers are rubberized, tops are material. Rarely gets holes in them. Usually throws them out because they look so bad.
I use these for all types of gardening/yard work unless I'm doing something with stones or bricks when I get out the "heavy duty" leather ones. These light weight gloves are cooler, they keep your hands clean, and you can pick up all kinds of stuff you would care to touch bare-handed. The rubber also means no splinters.

They're cheap enough that if they get holes or get lost, oh well ...

Old 04-13-2015, 09:52 AM

878 posts, read 2,737,194 times
Another vote for the 6 pair pack at Costco....works well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden