U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 01:49 PM

1,604 posts, read 2,656,401 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I moved to Florida last year, had house built. I am the furthest thing from a green thumb. So Sunday I go to get some good fertilizer to get my St, Augustine grass growing again,I think it is the Flortham or so it is called. Bought some Scotts Weed n Feed For southern lawns, parts of my lawn were a little yellow, most was green., I think I over fertilized now the yellow is darker yellow and the green isn't so green.

Does this stuff grow back with time? Any thing I can do in this instance? Sprinklers go on for about 15 min a day per quadrant...and it did pour hard yesterday for about 1/2 hour or so, so water is being disbursed. I planted some plants around the house and the ground was very moist. I'm just distraught as to what I did. Thanks for your help.

Oh yeah this stuff seems to grow sideways instead of straight up and down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 02:17 PM

343 posts, read 640,323 times
I moved from Maryland to South Carolina 10 years ago. Went from fescue and Kentucky bluegrass (MD) to centipede (SC). The centipede is similar in characteristics to your St. Aug. in that it is a "warm season grass." The major difference is that the northern grasses you are used to have that really green burst in April-May when you fertilize and water/rain. Then they tend to brown out in the heat of summer unless you water the heck out of them.

The warm grasses in the south don't require as much fertilizer or water. A well respected agronomist in my area (Myrtle Beach) suggests a southern lawn weed and feed around April 1st. Then suggests an application of a 10-10-10 lawn fertilizer about June 1st and again August 1st. The warm season grasses need no nitrogen (feeding) after the August 1st feeding.

As far as watering, water to a depth of one inch about twice a week. That's all. The more you water, the less lush and more prone to disease you lawn will be. You'll find, if you follow this program, that the hotter the weather gets the greener your lawn will be and the more you will have to mow it. Good luck and good growing!

Old 04-14-2015, 03:03 PM

Im not putting any more fertilizer down until I see what damage I did...and if it grows back...I don' tcare if I just damaged the top blades that the mower will take care of if I damaged the roots I'm screwed

Old 04-14-2015, 03:15 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,253,826 times
You must spray for bugs 4 times a year to grow that grass in Florida.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:37 PM

72,521 posts, read 55,525,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyterp View Post
I moved from Maryland to South Carolina 10 years ago. Went from fescue and Kentucky bluegrass (MD) to centipede (SC). The centipede is similar in characteristics to your St. Aug. in that it is a "warm season grass." The major difference is that the northern grasses you are used to have that really green burst in April-May when you fertilize and water/rain. Then they tend to brown out in the heat of summer unless you water the heck out of them.
Yup...starting to green up here now. Bursting with color after some rain events and now a spring pattern. Then comes summer and heat and dry spells and brown it goes. lol

interesting take on the southern grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
I think I over fertilized now the yellow is darker yellow and the green isn't so green.

Does this stuff grow back with time? Any thing I can do in this instance? Sprinklers go on for about 15 min a day per quadrant...and it did pour hard yesterday for about 1/2 hour or so, so water is being disbursed.
I over fertilized once (lessoned learned) but eventually it grew back. I did call the number on the bag to get their advice. I forgot what they had said it was so long ago.

Don't remember if too much watering was a bad thing after over fertilizing or keeping it too dry.

They are stressed so maybe too much stuff going on (including water everyday) is not good?

Good luck. Hope it comes back. Give it time. Don't rip anything up yet.

Also. Cant imagine the Florida sun doing any good on it. I wonder if you can shade it somehow.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:52 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,344,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
Hi:

I moved to Florida last year, had house built. I am the furthest thing from a green thumb. So Sunday I go to get some good fertilizer to get my St, Augustine grass growing again,I think it is the Flortham or so it is called. Bought some Scotts Weed n Feed For southern lawns, parts of my lawn were a little yellow, most was green., I think I over fertilized now the yellow is darker yellow and the green isn't so green.

Does this stuff grow back with time? Any thing I can do in this instance? Sprinklers go on for about 15 min a day per quadrant...and it did pour hard yesterday for about 1/2 hour or so, so water is being disbursed. I planted some plants around the house and the ground was very moist. I'm just distraught as to what I did. Thanks for your help.

Oh yeah this stuff seems to grow sideways instead of straight up and down.
Flortham is sensitive to weed killers which is why many weed product for other St Augustine have warning on using it on that variety, You also need to read rate to use weed and feed carefully. St. Augustine grows with a heavy matt root system below the blades which is what gives it its carpet like feel when walking on it. Great grass as long as live in a warmer climate and watered well. Here many people collect what is called runners from others to start their lawn with it same has grass farms do when planting; just takes longer than matts. It cannot be grown from seed.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:59 PM

correct the stuff literally grows sideways across my sidewalk if I dont edge it regularly. It is some thick rooty stuff, definitely different from the lawn we took care of on Long Island and in CT. They used some other stuff in our backyard called Bahia grass, looked like hay when they planted it, now looks great.

The St Augustine grass they used in the front and sides of our house is thick and coarse, ahd is really tough so I'm hoping it comes back. I believe they sell something called lawn plugs which are 3x3 inch blocks of the stuff, I guess I can plant it after a while in the middle of the burnt spots after the fertilizer dissipates, so I'm thinking lots of water to wash away the extra nitrogen I put down.

The stuff creeps along the ground sideways but I like a green lawn not yellow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or