U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-18-2015, 10:42 AM
 
478 posts, read 1,739,344 times
Reputation: 274

Advertisements

Has anyone in MD or a similar Mid Atlantic location used Zoysia for a lawn grass?

What can you tell me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2015, 11:28 AM
 
2,600 posts, read 6,704,880 times
Reputation: 2453
zoysia vs. tall fescue (Maryland)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 04:24 PM
 
588 posts, read 1,255,391 times
Reputation: 594
My next-door neighbor has zoysia, and it invaded my yard to the point that it took over the fescue all the way to my sidewalk. Therefore, 25% of my yard is zoysia, while the other 75% is fescue/bluegrass/perennial rye grass mix. I HATE the zoysia; it is AWFUL

~~ Zoysia is supposed to be weed-free, or at least weed-resistant. The zoysia in my yard and my neighbor's yard is FULL of weeds. It never formed that "mat" zoysia is supposed to form, so it is completely full of wild onions, chickweed, henbit, spurge, plantain, and oxalis. It is horrible. I hate it.

~~ Zoysia is supposed to be green from about April to October. It isn't. It is green from mid-to-late May until October. Therefore, for seven months of the year, it looks like garbage. I hate it.

~~ Zoysia grows in a way that it looks terrible on the edges. I hate it.



I WANT to pull up all the zoysia that has invaded my yard all the way to my sidewalk, but I am afraid it will just slowly take over again. It is one annoying, ugly grass.



By the way, I am in the DC area, so probably similar to you in terms of zone and care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 05:42 PM
 
Location: NC
7,360 posts, read 9,179,053 times
Reputation: 15501
I knew someone in SE PA who had a Zoysia lawn that came with the house he bought. He said it was fine, grew well, but--it was dormant way longer than the more normally grown lawns there. So in the spring, while everyone else was experiencing a nice green lawn, the zoysia lawn was this light buff-tan color, for maybe a month longer than the others. Just seemed strange. Of course the few weeds that might have sprung up in it would have been bright green and very obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2015, 07:51 AM
 
Location: North West Arkansas (zone 6b)
2,750 posts, read 2,271,972 times
Reputation: 3778
zoysia is certainly more of a warm season grass. If I remember correctly, it is related to bermuda but slower growing.

The ads for zoysia in all the magazines seem so compelling that people from all zones want to get it for their lawns.

In my area, zoysia is recommended for partial shaded areas.

The grass grows by runners just like bermuda and those runners make for very untidy edges unless you clean them up with a string trimmer or edger. The grass goes dormant when temperatures fall below 50 so if you get cool springs, expect a long green up period.

Excessive weeds might point to the lawn not growing thickly enough to choke out the weeds. Get a soil test to see if something else is causing problems with the lawn health and review your maintenance routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top