Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:47 PM

17 posts, read 57,453 times

Advertisements

Those front lawns are small and conjoined with your next door neighbor. To make it better I mowed the whole thing and did yard work on whole thing several times, but my neighbor adamantly only does her side (1/2). She doesn't do her side as often as I would like but I'm sucking it up, but what bothers me is I mow and she doesn't mow for over a week so the front lawn ends up looking uneven, and I don't want to create an impression that I'm petty in the neighborhood by mowing only my side of the small conjoined lawn. Neither I nor my neighbor have talked about lawn mowing as we don't know each other well enough, but I think I made good gesture by doing her side several times, but my gesture was not returned, so the front lawn now remains half cut only. What would you do in this kind of situation? I can keep sucking it up until the mowing season is over. I understand no one needs to maintain their lawn to my satisfaction, but there should be some mowing etiquettes especially in case of sharing a small conjoined front lawn. Do some HOAs have a guidelines of recommending taking turns in mowing conjoined lawns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:06 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
What do you observe the other homeowners lawns look like? That might answer your question far better than we could.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:56 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goHoCoVA0000 View Post
Neither I nor my neighbor have talked about lawn mowing as we don't know each other well enough
Guess you should be talking to her instead of to a message board.

Quote:
Do some HOAs have a guidelines of recommending taking turns in mowing conjoined lawns?
I would doubt that. Did you read yours?

Old 04-21-2015, 06:08 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,226,596 times
I would talk to her. I wonder if she's physically, well challenged in some way. Not necessarily handicapped.
Thinking of myself here-I'd love it if my neighbor mowed my lawn. I'd pay him! Asked but he said no. He said if I ever got sick, went on vacation or some such, he'd mow a few times for me but not all the time.

Anyway, offer to mow all the for $X. can't hurt.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
i've lived in 2 homes with conjoined lawns and in each case, we always just mowed up to our property line.

in my first house, I had the nicer lawn and the neighbor's weed line was evident at the property line. In my current house, I have the weedy lawn that I'm gradually getting into better shape.

if you are paying for lawn services, they will cut up to the property line unless you pay more.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:40 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
If your going to mow her lawn for free why complain about it. If not then just worry about your own.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:49 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Those front lawns are small and conjoined with your next door neighbor. To make it better I mowed the whole thing and did yard work on whole thing several times, but my neighbor adamantly only does her side (1/2). She doesn't do her side as often as I would like but I'm sucking it up, but what bothers me is I mow and she doesn't mow for over a week so the front lawn ends up looking uneven, and I don't want to create an impression that I'm petty in the neighborhood by mowing only my side of the small conjoined lawn. Neither I nor my neighbor have talked about lawn mowing as we don't know each other well enough, but I think I made good gesture by doing her side several times, but my gesture was not returned, so the front lawn now remains half cut only. What would you do in this kind of situation? I can keep sucking it up until the mowing season is over. I understand no one needs to maintain their lawn to my satisfaction, but there should be some mowing etiquettes especially in case of sharing a small conjoined front lawn. Do some HOAs have a guidelines of recommending taking turns in mowing conjoined lawns?
People are particular about their property - whether they're taking care of it to your level of standards or not. I suggest getting to know your neighbor and then you can offer to mow her lawn when you're doing yours. Presumably, it's a small lawn and you don't mind taking it on. Otherwise, if she is following the HOA's guidelines of cutting the grass before it reaches a certain height, MYOL (mind your own lawn). And please don't expect her to return the favor. Some people hate doing yard work.

I live in a townhome with a small yard, and it connects with my neighbors. Our lawn is lush, green, and manicured. Their lawn is nothing but weeds and bare spots. They don't even have a mower. He uses a weed whacker to "mow" his weeds & dirt. I don't really like my neighbor so I mind my own lawn.

I do like the neighbors on the other side. While raking and bagging leaves in our yard one fall, we took the liberty of clearing his. He came out later that day and said his granddaughter would have liked to jump in those leaves. Lesson learned. MYOL.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:56 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
I share a lawn, front and back, with my neighbors, and we all only mow up to our property lines.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:01 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:

There is mowing etiquette, you tend to your side and let her tend to hers how she chooses to.

So you made your "good gesture" expecting something in return?
Wrong reason to make a "good gesture".

Old 04-21-2015, 08:22 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
When I got ready to sell my house, not only did I mow the lawns COMPLETELY, on BOTH SIDES of me, but I spent hours poop-scooping on one side as well--not only the lawn, but the walk, the steps, the front porch.

When my neighbor said "you don't need to do that", I responded "Yes. Yes, I do.".

Your "good gesture" was only for yourself, even though she reaped a benefit. To EXPECT her to cut yours, is asking too much.

Property line. Property. Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden